Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,213,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I persoanlly don't thnk its music. Its more like trash talk from what I have hear of it.
I think your spelling is trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,019 times
Music is in the ear of the beholder.
Some people like rap, and others don't. It is what it is.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Music is in the ear of the beholder.
Some people like rap, and others don't. It is what it is.
Bull$#!t. Rap IS music. EVERYTHING that is a genre is music. Rock/Alternative in general is soooo dull to me, but that doesn't mean I get to say that it isn't music.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,492,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I persoanlly don't thnk its music. Its more like trash talk from what I have hear of it.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! Pure trash.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Well, life has told me that if someone has something against rap music, 65% percent of the time it's because they can't dance or don't know how to dance to hip-hop. Because if they did, they would see how much fun it is.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,152,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I love how you picked one part of my post and quoted that - so much for open minded.
That was the only part that sparked a reply. That's how I work that usually. I'd have to reread your comment again to say why the rest didn't spark a reply, but I try to only quote the stuff I've got a comment about.
Quote:
You said it's necessary to exclude some genres - I don't think it is.
Wait. I said, "You've basically got to overlook/ignore some stuff as it is, anyway". "Stuff" is different than "genres". If someone asked me to assign "true" or "false" to this statement, "You've got to exclude some genres, you can't hear music from them all", I'd want to clarify our criteria for defining genres before saying whether I consider that true or false. I think the idea of "genre" is too ambiguous without that. It's not usually a problem to use it ambiguously, imo, but to assign "true" or "false" to a statement like that, I'd want to clarify that first.
Quote:
While I may not actively seek a song in a genre I'm not familiar with; if I hear it somewhere I won't immediately reject it just because of where it's located in the music store.
Okay, but I would think it's okay if you wanted to do that. I'm not the guy to appeal to for agreement on a normative that everyone "should" be open-minded.
Quote:
Which is ALL I was saying in the original post. A lot of people reject rap music just because it's rap music. Doesn't matter if the sounds good or what its about. If it's rap; they don't like it.Period.
Right, and I'm just saying that I think it's okay if they want to do that.
Quote:
If you didn't understand my point - you should have asked instead of coming back with this sarcastic nonsense.
Actually, nothing in the post you're quoting was intended as sarcastic. I simply do not agree with the idea that "People should be open-minded about x". That's all I was clarifying. And then I added that whether one is open-minded or not, one is not going to experience everything there is to experience. It's simply impossible. So one HAS to exclude some things there are to experience anyway, and being closed-minded about some things is one way to make those exclusions (a way that I think is not a problem).

Old 12-17-2008, 08:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,492,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, life has told me that if someone has something against rap music, 65% percent of the time it's because they can't dance or don't know how to dance to hip-hop. Because if they did, they would see how much fun it is.
I guess I see it differently.I think people like rap because they dont know anything about melody,rythym,continuity,hook or intelligent content. But hey. Our differences are what makes the world go round.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I guess I see it differently.I think people like rap because they dont know anything about melody,rythym,continuity,hook or intelligent content. But hey. Our differences are what makes the world go round.
Well, you're assesment of rap fans is plainly wrong.
For instance: me. I like rap as well as a lot of other undeniably melodic, rhythmic, continuous, intelligent music that has hooks. Go figure...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Bull$#!t. Rap IS music. EVERYTHING that is a genre is music. Rock/Alternative in general is soooo dull to me, but that doesn't mean I get to say that it isn't music.
It's subjective. It's not that it's music or not to everyone. I agree that whether some sound or another counts as music depends on how the listener mentally "frames" the sound. That also implies that one thing can be music at some times and not others, to the same person. That happens with me, for example, depending on whether I'm trying to block out the stereo because I'm trying to talk on the phone, say--then I hear that background sound just as "noise" that I'd rather have off--or whether I'm attending to it because I'm enjoying listening to it (as music).

I don't agree that anything is objectively music or not, although there is certainly a sense of the term "music" where people frequently mean certain types of sounds as opposed to others, where those sounds are the result of particular kinds of cultural practices, etc.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I can't say that my enjoyment of any music is correlated to dancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music