Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Here's mine that nobody mentioned... What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong.... satchmoe

I tear up everytime!
I love Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version, where Louis' song is juxtaposed with Over the Rainbow. Israel died ten years ago, but this track, which as I understand, was recorded in one take, lives on. So sad, yet at the same time, so hopeful.
Israel's voice is haunting and sincere without being maudlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
Oh, my, none of you must have children...

"arms wide open"....

It would make me choke up before I have kids, now I just have to turn the radio off!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I admit to gettin a little choked up at some songs, mainly because I love my wife and son so much that sometimes when I hear songs I can only think of them no matter how good/bad the song is. Anyone else have this problem? Here are a few songs that get the sorrow goin...

My Heart Will Go On-- Celine Dion
Learning to Live Again -- Garth Brooks
Heres to the Night-- Eve 6
Thank God For Kids-- Oak Ridge Boys

I still think the one that is truly sad and depressing is Evanescene's "My Immortal". Good grief that song is absolutely horridly sad. LOL

What even funnier is I dont even listen to this kind of music! LOL Im more of a metal guy myself.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM

16 posts, read 115,739 times
Let it be - Beatles
Jesus loves me/Everything is beautiful - Ray Stevens - song dedicated to my little sister when she passed way. It has been 31 years but I still cry my eyes out and have to leave the room if it is played.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:14 AM

20 posts, read 68,281 times
I'm in the process of making a very sappy CD for my MIL. Because I got an idea here and I love music, I thought I'd register and share my favorites (as of right now), but I am looking to expand on this list.

Here are a few that make me blubber like an idiot. I think it depends on where you are in life as to whether these will move you, too. These are, IMO, the best of the best (that I am aware of anyway).

BTW, I am not country music fan, but many of these are (and I love them anyway).

Bobby Goldsboro - Honey (all can appreciate this, IMO)
Carrie Underwood - Jesus Take The Wheel (only because I love songs that have multiple meanings)
Celine Dion - Goodbye's The Saddest Word (if you've lost your mother, be alone when you listen to this one, it is truly the most moving song I've ever heard, but, my mother has indeed passed on - a guesstimate, but I think I had to listen to it literally 100 times before I stopped crying)
Collin Raye - Love Me (another of those multi meaning songs)
George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today (my least favorite on this list, but worth a listen if you've never heard it)
George Strait - Love Without End, Amen (nuff said)
Jason Michael Carroll - Alyssa Lies (still can't get thru this one)
John Michael Montgomery - The Little Girl (if you don't believe in God, don't bother, same with Love Without End, Amen)
Tim McGraw - Don't Take The Girl (maybe not a tearjerker, but good none the less)
Steve Wariner - Holes In The Floor Of Heaven (not for everyone)
Steve Wariner - Two Tear Drops (not up there with many of these, but good none the less)
Trace Adkins - Then They Do (if you don't have children, don't bother - listen especially if you've got older children)
Vince Gill - Go Rest High On That Mountain (for those who have lost someone close)

Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Rayny, Give this a quick listen - and have Kleenex handy:
http://www.homestead.com/deeopus/daisyaday.html

Buddy' Jewell's "Lacey's Song" is another goodie. And George Strait's "You'll Be There", Randy Travis' "Three Wooden Crosses".
Tim's "Don't take the girl" gets me :>)

Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
I also have to admit that Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" has drawn a tear or three.

A song I used to hear at Christmas was "Scarlet Ribbons", but I haven't heard it in years.

I peeked in to say goodnight when I heard my child in prayer
Send dear God some scarlet ribbons scarlet ribbons for my hair
All the stores were closed and shuttered all the streets were dark and bare
In our town no scarlet ribbons not one ribbon for her hair
Through the night my heart was aching just before the dawn was breaking
I peeked in and on her bed in gay profusion laying there
I saw ribbons scarlet ribbons scarlet ribbons for her hair
If I live to be a hundred I will never know from where
Came those lovely scarlet ribbons scarlet ribbons for her hair

Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Rayny, Give this a quick listen - and have Kleenex handy:
http://www.homestead.com/deeopus/daisyaday.html

Buddy' Jewell's "Lacey's Song" is another goodie. And George Strait's "You'll Be There", Randy Travis' "Three Wooden Crosses".
Tim's "Don't take the girl" gets me :>)
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely give them a listen.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I remember in the '70s when "Seasons in the Sun" was out, and the "Terry Jacks Wrote it Because He Was Really Dying" myth was *thriving. So it made us even sadder.

Turns out Terry still *is! :>)
snip
I think it's funny that you'd post this about, Terry Jacks (btw, Seasons in the Sun is currently on the CD for MIL, but might be dropped because I'm getting a lot of really good ones).

Anyway, I'd heard that Terry Jacks recorded, Seasons in the Sun, then committed suicide. I believed that the entire time I was growing up and it sure did add to the sympathy factor. A few years ago I ran a search on him and found it was completely erroneous. The song has sure taken a place in many of our hearts and I am glad he's alive and well. So, no harm, no foul, I guess.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
I just thought of another one, though it's a Christmas song...

The Christmas Shoes by Newsong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music