Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 107,165 times

Advertisements

Zeppelin was the 1st album I owned and I've loved them ever since. My collection goes from albums, sheets,live dvds, books, framed portraits to my year old boxer rightfully named Zeppelin.

I will admit there are other songs that are better then some Zeppelin songs, but as an overall band Zeppelin brings us a sound not soon to be forgotten. I can't wait to introduce them to my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
I used to like Zeppelin more when I was younger. The radio stations herebouts have burned me out on them though. They play them way too much and the same songs over and over. I really liked thier album art, and their lyrics are thought provoking. But there are other bands I like better. Their albums still sell, and their poularity is still stong though, and that speaks volumes as to their talent and artistry.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,366,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saybl View Post
Zeppelin was the 1st album I owned and I've loved them ever since. My collection goes from albums, sheets,live dvds, books, framed portraits to my year old boxer rightfully named Zeppelin.

I will admit there are other songs that are better then some Zeppelin songs, but as an overall band Zeppelin brings us a sound not soon to be forgotten. I can't wait to introduce them to my children.
When I was a kid, Led was big, and I liked them but didn't love them mainly for the reason you cited above. But recently I have rediscovered them and through their "live" stuff. This to me is where they really shine. Jimmy Page is hands down, one of the very best rock guitarists then or since. His improvisational runs are as good as many jazz players, truly innovative. And Robert Plant has a voice that can do anything. He's great on the quiet stuff as well as the full-out belting. On their first album, "Baby I'm gonna leave You" and "Dazed and Confused", and some of their later stuff as well, their jazz roots are on display. I've heard recently that there is a reunion tour in the works and I'd love to see them, but without Robert Plant behind the mike, I'll pass.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,218,727 times
Sorry but agree to disagree, esp about Page. He was good but IMO not all that amazing for the most part...and comparing him to the better jazz guitarists, assuming such a comparison is really valid (ie it's an apples/oranges thing), is IMO frankly silly.

Just my .02

Back to the question.......they were up there, but nope. Beatles (nowhere near my fav band btw) are the easy #1, then the rest.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM

914 posts, read 1,808,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saybl View Post

Zeppelin is ONE of my favorite bands, but not the greatest. Everyone has their opinion; some may say Beatles, some Zeppelin and some say The Rolling Stones or David Bowie.

What really grinds my gears is when 15 year old dorks wear the shirts to fit in when they don't even know how influential they really are.

I agree, if I ever had kids, they'd be listening to Jimi Hendrix in my womb and being born with rock hands.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,061 times
Such a subjective mantle, "Greatest Rock Band ever"

Everybody likes something different.

Zep are excellent, but I don't really make top 10 lists because I like too much stuff.

It's great you're going to share them with your kids though.

Just don't be surprised if they think you're a total dork! Kids tend to do that!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I used to like Zeppelin more when I was younger. The radio stations herebouts have burned me out on them though. They play them way too much and the same songs over and over. I really liked thier album art, and their lyrics are thought provoking. But there are other bands I like better. Their albums still sell, and their poularity is still stong though, and that speaks volumes as to their talent and artistry.

I feel ya...but the best stuff they ever did doesnt even get played on the radio.

Try these out (if you havent already)

Absolution Blues
Traveling Riverside Blues
In My Time of Dying

Those are probably my 3 favorite Zep songs and I dont think I have ever heard them on the radio.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,018,373 times
Love Led Zeppelin but the greatest band? No. They're not that good live so that eliminates them, imo. I'd have to choose a band which sounds as good, if not better, live as they do in the studio, like SRV and Double Trouble, just to name one. There are a handful that sound good live or recorded; Rush and AC/DC are two more. I can't think of them all right now.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:02 AM

370 posts, read 1,016,945 times
They ARE the greatest band at stealing material.

Hell, even if they didn't steal 1/2 of their songs, they'd be untalented.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,725,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Sorry but agree to disagree, esp about Page. He was good but IMO not all that amazing for the most part...and comparing him to the better jazz guitarists, assuming such a comparison is really valid (ie it's an apples/oranges thing), is IMO frankly silly.

Just my .02

Back to the question.......they were up there, but nope. Beatles (nowhere near my fav band btw) are the easy #1, then the rest.
Page's genius was really his producing ability. The ability to capture certain sounds. His playing was pretty good too but there are many better, even by Page's own accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Love Led Zeppelin but the greatest band? No. They're not that good live so that eliminates them, imo. I'd have to choose a band which sounds as good, if not better, live as they do in the studio, like SRV and Double Trouble, just to name one. There are a handful that sound good live or recorded; Rush and AC/DC are two more. I can't think of them all right now.
You can not seriously put AC / DC above Zeppelin...can you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
They ARE the greatest band at stealing material.

Hell, even if they didn't steal 1/2 of their songs, they'd be untalented.
Are you talking about Zep? If so, yikes! Most of the English bands of the time professed their love for US Blues, Elvis, Dylan etc. and they emulated them (stole if you will). Still...

We warned you not to drink the punch but apparently you did.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-25-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music