Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Another good substitute word for "stupid" is "LAME".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,961 times
Desertsun41 and SunCoast Guy~

I added that because of all the discussion about the sex (etc.) in Rap music.. 'Love to Love You Baby' is overtly sexual and there is barely any singing on it.. in fact there's a much much longer version out there.. no doubt you were boogying to it, back in the day. You prob already know what my point was and are just playing like you don't get it... my guess is you're going to keep up this charade of not understanding the same point many posters have driven home over the last 47 pages for as long as this thread stays alive. You *hate* rap and you *hate* rappers.. got it.

Meanwhile, I have nothing but love for both of you.. the point I want to make is that we (most of us, I'm assuming) participate in the Music forum cause we love music. At the risk of sounding cheesy: music is food for the soul. So, personally, I would like to see less of an obsession for what we hate and more of a focus on just enjoying the music.

Let's be honest.. people don't like it when their fav bands/artists are chosen as some of 'the most over hyped'.. I don't like it when I see bashing about John Lennon. But you know I deal with it because everyone's entitled to their own opinion and my interest in music is far greater than John Lennon or the Beatles (And.. no one has ever blamed John Lennon for what most of you want to blame Rap music for). But what we got here is a thread bashing an entire genre of music.. do you know how many people you are insulting when you arrogantly dismiss it as nothing more than loud noise.. talking.. or make it responsible for causing horrible things in our society? That's just not a very nice way to have this discussion or to go about handling yourself, IMO. And.. you know discussion is one thing.. especially when you preface it with 'I respect your opinion but I disagree on these points'.. but that's not what is happening here. In the end.. when you want to blame Rap music for single parenthood or drugs or gang banging, etc ..you should do that in the Great Debates forum.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Desertsun41 and SunCoast Guy~

I added that because of all the discussion about the sex (etc.) in Rap music.. 'Love to Love You Baby' is overtly sexual and there is barely any singing on it.. in fact there's a much much longer version out there.. no doubt you were boogying to it, back in the day. You prob already know what my point was and are just playing like you don't get it... my guess is you're going to keep up this charade of not understanding the same point many posters have driven home over the last 47 pages for as long as this thread stays alive. You *hate* rap and you *hate* rappers.. got it.
Maybe so, but not once did she use the "F" word, show people with little clothing on, or anything else. It was more so innocent back in the 70's than it is today, and the rap people of today think that it is OK to use the filthy language in the music.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Maybe so, but not once did she use the "F" word, show people with little clothing on, or anything else. It was more so innocent back in the 70's than it is today, and the rap people of today think that it is OK to use the filthy language in the music.
You're stre-e-e-tching there Suncoast Guy.. it is VERY sexual... it literally sounds like she's having sex right there.. that minute. The extended version is much worse. I would rather my kid hear the F word than hear someone in orgasm.

Again.. the type of music you're describing is called Gansta Rap and you're right.. a little kid shouldn't be listening to that but you know what.. people like to watch The Godfather and The Sopranos.. same thing.

And.. IMO it (70s music) prob seems 'more innocent' to you because for whatever reason you're more comfortable with it.. and if I had to guess why you're more comfortable with it.. it's prob because that was back when you were less judgmental.. more open minded.. and yes, younger.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You're stre-e-e-tching there Suncoast Guy.. it is VERY sexual... it literally sounds like she's having sex right there.. that minute. The extended version is much worse. I would rather my kid hear the F word than hear someone in orgasm.
OK, maybe at times she does, but not the entire song.

Quote:
Again.. the type of music you're describing is called Gansta Rap and you're right.. a little kid shouldn't be listening to that but you know what.. people like to watch The Godfather and The Sopranos.. same thing..
And those are the songs that the mainstream stations play, minus the cussing with either a bleep out or the sound is cut. But, then those kids like the song, go to iTunes, download the expletive version and know you have F, C, B, D, MF, and the rest right there on your iPod.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
What a minute! You're not trying to tell me that these rap artists are professional musicians, are you?
Well that's not the point and that wasn't the point you made either. But since you went there. YES. I do call them musicians.
The definition of musician is
Quote:
A musician is a person who plays or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music:
Guess what rappers does? Some play, some write, some do both. Some produce beats (9th Wonder, J.Dilla (RIP), Nicolay and more). Some writes (NAS, Jay-Z, Common) and some do both (The Roots, Scarface, Cunninlynguists) and they all fit the definition of musicians. They all either create or perform their music and many do both.

Let me just go out and repeat what most of all that are backing hip hop has said before. We dislike the hip hop in the mainstream today. It is not a representative of the hip hop in the golden era of the genre which was from 88-94 (sometimes 96).

BTW, no comment on how I brought up that there are artists that making songs on other topics?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
OK, maybe at times she does, but not the entire song.
Let's be fair, not just at times but throughout the entire song... of course there are moments where you don't hear it... lol.... wouldn't be very realistic otherwise and it is VERY obvious what the song is about.. even a young kid could pick up on that.

Quote:
And those are the songs that the mainstream stations play, minus the cussing with either a bleep out or the sound is cut. But, then those kids like the song, go to iTunes, download the expletive version and know you have F, C, B, D, MF, and the rest right there on your iPod.
You are talking about an entire genre so there is *great* variety. I highly doubt you've been sitting by the radio with your biases set to the side and come to that conclusion. You hear a song that is a little intense and it sticks out to you like a sore thumb.

I'll be honest with you.. I don't listen to a lot of current Rap but I still enjoy older songs. I can't really tell you what they play on the radio but I'm sure you're no expert on it, either. All I do know is that there is great variety.. and you know what... if you truly wanted to get an understanding of the genre.. you could get that here. There are a lot of posters that seem ready to share their passion for this music with you (all). I've seen a lot of great posts on this thread and links to videos. You might try talking to people who are really into the current tunes.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that's not the point and that wasn't the point you made either. But since you went there. YES. I do call them musicians.
You said:

Quote:
And if another PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN says that rap is music, than it is.
That means to me that you are referring to the rap people. They are not professional musicians, they are artists, and I don't even know about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BTW, no comment on how I brought up that there are artists that making songs on other topics?
This post makes no sense to me!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,209 times
FlaGrrrl, hi there! Long time no see
Quote:
(And.. no one has ever blamed John Lennon for what most of you want to blame Rap music for)
Not yet. I'd like to say, 'Not yet'. But one day probably.
I don't like the idea to read all these 49 pages of this thread that's why I can't say how offensive such and such posts made by some guys were. But all in all, I'd like to say if guys like desertsun41 don't defend old school (e.g. rock bands) right now, all we gonna see in some time (in 1 year, 5 years or 50 years) will be the thread here on City-Data named as 'People who say rock is NOT music'.
And we will have to defend classic rock musicians like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Queen etc. because raplike music will be a standart by that time and rock will be attacked by rap fans.
It's sad but tell you the truth I'm sure this day will come, make no mistake And, say, in 2020 raplike music will become a sheer standart in music industry. So whilst guys like desertsun41 try to defend old school we have a little chance that rock music will not die.

Just my opinion

Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
You said:

That means to me that you are referring to the rap people. They are not professional musicians, they are artists, and I don't even know about that.

This post makes no sense to me!
You said:
Quote:
You know what, everybody has their own opinion. If A PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN says that rap isn't music, then rap isn't music. Period.
You asked it in a way if OTHER professional musician would think if it was music or not. If they don't, than it isn't to them. But to another professional musician, he/she may consider it music. Just like you said. Everyone has their own opinion. But don't throw this type of remark out there like it's fact.

Also, that most does make sense. You stated earlier that all rappers talk about is drugs, sex, and women and you asked me why am I making your point. I responded with a multiple amount of topics that vary in songs and gave you a video but you had no response to that. Oh and yeah, many of them are musicians and many of them are artists and many of them are good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music