Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, you're right. I'm expecting to much from them, I guess.
Hey.. if you want to waste some of your time here... I'm not going to stop you... I've wasted plenty myself.
But don't let them push ya around ;-)

YouTube - boogie down productions, big daddy kane, mc lyte, kid capri
PT

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 04-11-2009 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Gotta love your method, man..
In YOUR opinion it is crappy and pointless. But you know.. you're just throwing adjectives around... just hating.

So, why is Christian rap more preferable? Because of the content? So.. Rap is not music because the content is not appropriate, by your standards. Wow....

Remember when you said (a couple pages back) how you prefer Donna Summer's orgasms (Love to Love You Baby) to Rap music.. that's not very Christian of you.. shame, shame!
It's not Donna Summer's orgasms, and if you didn't have such a dirty mind, you wouldn't be thinking that. When I listened to it, I didn't think that, but when I hear "I Wanna "F" you" in a rap song, then yea I think it. Yeah, rap content can (mostly) be inappropriate. Do you think using every vulgar word in a song is appropriate. WOW!!!

I am not hating. This thread is about people who say rap is not music. I say rap is not music. If you want to call that "hating", go ahead, but I don't think it is "hating", I think it is giving an opinion. That's the thing with you people today, if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion, then it's "hating". Get over it. In MY opinion and others, rap is crappy and pointless. Everybdoy has an opinion.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:25 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
It's not Donna Summer's orgasms, and if you didn't have such a dirty mind, you wouldn't be thinking that.
You're *crazy* if you don't hear orgasming on that song... that was the whole appeal.

Quote:
Do you think using every vulgar word in a song is appropriate. WOW!!!
Every vulgar word? Stre-e-etching!!!

Yeah some Rap songs have vulgar words.. some Rock songs do, too.

And.. I'm not so squeamish as to not be able to appreciate a song if there's a vulgar word on it. Sorry you're so *delicate*.

Quote:
I am not hating. This thread is about people who say rap is not music. I say rap is not music. If you want to call that "hating", go ahead, but I don't think it is "hating", I think it is giving an opinion. That's the thing with you people today, if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion, then it's "hating". Get over it. In MY opinion and others, rap is crappy and pointless. Everybdoy has an opinion.
Hmmm.. why do I call it hating?
Let me think... could it be that I haven't already clearly explained my opinion about this.. I don't think so.....

One more time.. you're hating because you want to dismiss it as music because of the content.. the words. Christian Rap is music but regular old Rap isn't because you don't like the words they use.

One more time.. you're hating because you fail to show other posters respect when you comment. You make blanket statements like they're the God's honest truth. Who the hell are you?

One more time.. you're hating because when you're in a thread to discuss why Rap couldn't possibly be considered 'real music' you say it is because Rap is responsible for social problems like single parenthood.

One more time.. people in general are hating by calling rap.. 'wrap' or 'C-Rap'.

Can't we all just get along Or at least have this conversation with some more respect? ..well, that is if you haven't burnt the Rap lovers out on all this nonsense.. I know my desire to spend much more time on this subject is seriously waning.

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 04-12-2009 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Maybe you could write a jazz song. Jazz is a good style of music, because it is music.
Go back to my earlier posts. I have a degree in music. A bachelor's to be exact. I am pretty well versed in classical and jazz music theory. I teach piano lessons.

Bro, I have been composing jazz music for months. I play jazz piano. I play for choirs. I accompany instrumentalists and vocalists. I do more than one thing in music. I used to be a classical pianist. I just happen to like hip hop. Been listening to it since I was about 11.

I have stated that hip hop has nothing on jazz and classical but I still like it.

I have also created a jazz thread in this forum for jazz discussion.

Last edited by Black Jack22; 04-12-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times
Quote:
You're *crazy* if you don't hear orgasming on that song... that was the whole appeal.
I'm not *crazy*, I hear what you are referring to, but I can listen to it. Also, remember that was made in the '70's. Things are much different now from what they were then.

Quote:
Every vulgar word? Stre-e-etching!!!

Yeah some Rap songs have vulgar words.. some Rock songs do, too.

And.. I'm not so squeamish as to not be able to appreciate a song if there's a vulgar word on it. Sorry you're so *delicate*.
No, it is not "Stre-e-etching"!! Every vulgar word out there has been used at least once all in rap music. Yes, I know some rock songs do use vulgar language as well, but I'm not really sure why you keep comparing rap to rock, expect for the fact that Heavy Metal Rock, and Hard Rock are just as crappy as rap. I can takea vulgar word, but 5 and 6 in one song is ridiculous. No, that is not "stre-e-etching" because I remember seeing the lyrics to a rap song that somebody brought into work maybe a year ago and it had the "B" word (which I could tolerate if it was just that), but it also had the "N" word several times, the "F" word, the "MF" word, and a few of the minor cussing words that you hear a lot anyway, like hell, which I could care less about.

Quote:
Hmmm.. why do I call it hating?
Let me think... could it be that I haven't already clearly explained my opinion about this.. I don't think so.....

One more time.. you're hating because you want to dismiss it as music because of the content.. the words. Christian Rap is music but regular old Rap isn't because you don't like the words they use.

One more time.. you're hating because you fail to show other posters respect when you comment. You make blanket statements like they're the God's honest truth. Who the hell are you?

One more time.. you're hating because when you're in a thread to discuss why Rap couldn't possibly be considered 'real music' you say it is because Rap is responsible for social problems like single parenthood.

One more time.. people in general are hating by calling rap.. 'wrap' or 'C-Rap'.
Say what you want, but it is not "hating." It is called giving a opinion, which you don't like because it doesn't agree with you.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Now see that is a good song!! That is the opposite of rap, because unlike rap, it's music. And Elton John is opposite of all the rap artists, because unlike them, he is a professional musician and he can sing without an electronic voice enhancer.
Maudlin? Overwrought? Saccharine? Do these words mean anything to you?

You're telling me, a 24-year-old man with normal testosterone levels, that I should listen to this?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 20,732 times
Rap rulezzz! Go Rap music.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Nomination for the most ignorant poster on CD goes to
*Drum roll*
Suncoast Guy!
Quote:
Rap IS NOT music. There may be a few good songs, but most of it is crappy and pointless.

Now Christian Rap probably isn't bad because of the fact that it is Christian. That probably is the only rap that is tolerable.
Quote:
Gotta love your method, man..
In YOUR opinion it is crappy and pointless. But you know.. you're just throwing adjectives around... just hating.

So, why is Christian rap more preferable? Because of the content? So.. Rap is not music because the content is not appropriate, by your standards. Wow....
LOL that just proves that their arguments are empty - how can you hate all rap but then say Christian rap is tolerable? That's like saying "I hate chicken! I would rather light myself on fire than eat chicken! All chicken tastes like crap! Chicken is not food! BUT chicken nuggets are tolerable" Maybe the chicken nuggets were made from fish or beef or turkey.

All the arguments I hear about "hating" rap music are stupid.

1 - It's so violent. Not all of it is violent - yes the more popular songs are but people love Scarface (and some of those people have never even seen Scarface). Violence sells. Period. If you want to be mad, be mad at people for being entertained by violence.

2. It's full of cursing. Not all of it is - yes the more popular songs are but wait a minute didn't Denzel Washington win an Oscar for Training Day - a movie where he curses more in 2 hours than probably all of his other movies combined. So once again if you're going to be mad, be mad at people for being entertained by cursing.

3. It's all about sex and degrading to women. Not all of it is - yes the more popular songs are but wait a minute didn't a lot of women, especially black women, feel Halle Berry's role in Monsters Ball was degrading? Sex sells. If you want to be mad, be mad at people for being entertained by sex.

4. All the rappers are on drugs, get arrested, etc. Not true. Some do - some don't. Some buy drugs - some start charities for their neighborhoods. Aside from being rappers - they are actually people; just famous people with money so that makes them newsworthy. Entertainers in general have always had problems with drugs and jail - have we forgotten Ray Charles? the Temptations? Elvis?

5. Rappers negatively influence kids. It is not the job of any entertainer to raise your kids. If your kids are that easily influenced - then you have failed as a parent. If you have raised a child who has gotten their personality, mannerisms, vocabulary and style preferences from a person he sees on television - you have failed as a parent.

I dislike I lot of rap songs - I dislike a lot of rappers, but I wouldn't say I hate the whole genre. You can't judge Common based of the Soulja boy song you heard last week. You can't judge Q-tip by the Weebie video you heard about. If you don't know anything about it; how can you hate it? I went to a Magic game once - it was horrible. Doesn't mean I hate the NBA - means I don't like the Orlando Magic.

I actually suspect that most of the people who hate rap hate it because it's predominantly black. I guess the thread will be shut down now.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

I'm so shocked the race card was played (again). yes if you consider rap to be utter drek, you must be a racist. your post is just chock full of brilliance.

apologists

lmao @ this thread, esp that it's gone on for over 500 posts. I'm all for a lockdown.

but wait - that would be the MAN OPPRESSIN again!

right?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
There's a reason the only rap played on corporate rock radio stations is the Beastie Boys. I won't go any further than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music