Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Agreed.

Yes.
I tend to prefer the overlap, the country influence, and the sub-genres.
I enjoy performers such as Vassar Clements, Ralph Stanley,Willie, Waylon, Asleep At The Wheel, Loretta Lynn, Earl Scruggs, and Randy Travis.

I also enjoy what artists such as Gram Parsons, the Grateful Dead, Commander Cody, Neil Young, Jack White and Wilco have done with country influences.

However, when my husband dials up the country station on the radio, I usually cringe.
(I also cringe when he turns on the Classic Rock station, but that's for another thread.)
Some great recording people there BWP! Whether Earl Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Doc Watson, Vassar Clements, Ralph Stanley is classified Bluegrass or Country, it's all good pickin' to me.

Some of the other country rock people I collect and am frequently listening to is the Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Desert Rose band, Poco, Pure Prairie League, and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Some obscure bands that are rarely mentioned on this forum that I collect as well are Goose Creek Symphony and Mason Profit. I recommend them!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
The mainstream country is garbage. Great song right here..

YouTube - Benjy Davis Project-Louisiana Saturday Night
I like it. Reminds me a little bit of Marshall Tucker and other groups of that era.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Some great recording people there BWP! Whether Earl Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Doc Watson, Vassar Clements, Ralph Stanley is classified Bluegrass or Country, it's all good pickin' to me.

Some of the other country rock people I collect and am frequently listening to is the Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Desert Rose band, Poco, Pure Prairie League, and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Some obscure bands that are rarely mentioned on this forum that I collect as well are Goose Creek Symphony and Mason Profit. I recommend them!
Yes! And how about the Amazing Rhythm Aces? For those who like the above mentioned bands and artists I recommend the 1969 (?) Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Circle" sessions which I have on both vinyl and CD.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:39 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Great song Ridgerunner thanks for reminding me!!

YouTube - Amazing Rhythm Aces (Third Rate Romance)

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Great song Ridgerunner thanks for reminding me!!

YouTube - Amazing Rhythm Aces (Third Rate Romance)
I KNEW someone did this before Sammy Kershaw. I was thinking Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but I figured wrong.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:13 PM

40 posts, read 59,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I dont understand. First of all, theres not just one thing to Country. It has so many different sub genres and styles and stylists. You could go from John Denver to Leon Redbone or Patsy Cline. None of them are anything alike !

People get this idea that its all the same, but I used to think that myself before I got HOOKED on it. Now I realize how incrredibly diverse and eclectic it is. Just as much if not more than Rock Music

Also, Country Music is great live. They sound just like the record! They dont need to lip sync because they can actually sing

I dont care much for Today's Country because a lot of the radio stuff lacks flavor, but I love ALT-COUNTRY like Neko Case, Wilco, Ryan Adams, BR549, Meade Skelton, etc.

I dont understand the hate.
its because there are alot of narrow minded and ignorant people in this world, esp. when it comes to music.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:27 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I've been collecting music a lot of years. A LOT. I've gotten involved in a lot of, um, spirited discussions with my collector friends about this issue. About how they think all country music sounds the same, has too much twang, etc., etc.

There is so much classic country songs that I've turned my friends on to I can't count them all. When I was listening to rock on the radio in the 60's and early 70's, a certain amount of country would get in the top 50. Take Roger Miller. The station I listened to always had Roger Miller songs on the radio, whether it was "King Of The Road" as the Beatles had the number one slot with "Eight Days A Week", or "England Swings" as the Beatles had the number one slot with "Yesterday".

Do you want music that tells stories? Try Marty Robbins; "El Paso", "The Hanging Tree", "Ribbon Of Darkness".

Do you want just pure singing? Try Jim Reeves (got baritone?); "He'll Have To Go", ("My Heart Is In) Rosa Rio", "Am I Losing You"?

Do you want uptempo Texas Swing? Try Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys; "The Wild Side Of Life', "A Six Pack To Go", "Squaws Along The Yukon".

Do you want to hear some of that country that Double H said charted right along with the rock and roll songs of the day that you just might remember if you can just hear them to jog your memory? Sure! if these songs are on youtube, give them a run-you might find you liked them all this time anyway, you just forgot them; songs like "Wolverton Mountain" by Claude King, "Jody And The Kid" by Roy Drusky, "Skip A Rope" by Henson Cargill, and "Johnny One Time" by Brenda Lee.

Like simple pickin'? Just guitar? Two words-Chet Atkins!

There are so many other artists that are not household names in today's scene. Singers that had talent and potential but could not have it realized.
I could list a bunch of them.

It amazes me what is out there info wise online. I can only imagine those artists that dwelled in obscurity in country music, where those people could be at today if they just could have gotten the word out. Country artists like Claude Gray, Bonnie Guitar, Johnny Darrell, Melba Montgomery. Now THOSE names will stump most of you, but not ALL of you. I enjoy learning more about songs and artists that I didn't discover decades back. The more I learn, the more I want to learn.

There is more to Country music than today's people. Much more, then and now.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-25-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've been collecting music a lot of years. A LOT. I've gotten involved in a lot of, um, spirited discussions with my collector friends about this issue. About how they think all country music sounds the same, has too much twang, etc., etc.

There is so much classic country songs that I've turned my friends on to I can't count them all. When I was listening to rock on the radio in the 60's and early 70's, a certain amount of country would get in the top 50. Take Roger Miller. The station I listened to always had Roger Miller songs on the radio, whether it was "King Of The Road" as the Beatles had the number one slot with "Eight Days A Week", or "England Swings" as the Beatles had the number one slot with "Yesterday".

Do you want music that tells stories? Try Marty Robbins; "El Paso", "The Hanging Tree", "Ribbon Of Darkness".

Do you want just pure singing? Try Jim Reeves (got baritone?); "He'll Have To Go", ("My Heart Is In) Rosa Rio", "Am I Losing You"?

Do you want uptempo Texas Swing? Try Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys; "The Wild Side Of Life', "A Six Pack To Go", "Squaws Along The Yukon".

Do you want to hear some of that country that Double H said charted right along with the rock and roll songs of the day that you just might remember if you can just hear them to jog your memory? Sure! if these songs are on youtube, give them a run-you might find you liked them all this time anyway, you just forgot them; songs like "Wolverton Mountain" by Claude King, "Jody And The Kid" by Roy Drusky, "Skip A Rope" by Henson Cargill, and "Johnny One Time" by Brenda Lee.

Like simple pickin'? Just guitar? Two words-Chet Atkins!

There are so many other artists that are not household names in today's scene. Singers that had talent and potential but could not have it realized.
I could list a bunch of them.

It amazes me what is out there info wise online. I can only imagine those artists that dwelled in obscurity in country music, where those people could be at today if they just could have gotten the word out. Country artists like Claude Gray, Bonnie Guitar, Johnny Darrell, Melba Montgomery. Now THOSE names will stump most of you, but not ALL of you.

There is more to Country music than today's people. Much more, then and now.
Great post, Double H. I tried to rep you. Will try again later. Here are a few footnotes concerning some items you mentioned above:

On the flip side of "Yesterday" the Beatles recorded Buck Owens's Number 1 Country hit "Act Naturally."

"The Hanging Tree" was the theme to a 1959 movie of the same name starring Gary Cooper and Karl Malden.

"Ribbon of Darkness" was written by Gordon Lightfoot.

The Marty Robbins hit "Don't Worry About Me" was the first commercial recording to feature the "fuzz box" sound effect on guitar. This sound was popularized by Jimi Hendrix and others and has been a rock mainstay ever since.

"Wolverton Mountain," written by Hank Williams, Jr. sidekick Merle Kilgore was based on an actual person who lived on an Arkansas mountain.

"Jody and the Kid" was one of the very first Kris Kristofferson songs to be recorded.

Brenda Lee was music's third biggest record seller of the sixties decade after the Beatles and Elvis.

Chet Atkins was largely responsible for the Ventures' musical career. While searching for a debut tune to record, the two guitarists discovered the song on a 1957 Atkins album. Prior to this, the tune had been recorded only by its composer, jazz guitarist Johnny Smith in 1955. The recording was a monster hit for the Ventures.

Atkins was also a pioneer in the development of the electronic tremolo effect heard on "All I Have To Do Is Dream" and other Everly Brothers records.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
a lot of rock sounds the same !!!!
Actually, that's not a true statement..., just your opinion, like everyone on here...

Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
My dad was big into people like George Jones and Conway Twitty. I could never really get into that kind. I do love some Cash, Charlie Daniels, Alabama is one of the country bands I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music