Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times

Advertisements

Yes, Myrtle Beach is a very inexpensive place to live. It is very reasonable to go out and eat, groceries, gasoline, taxes, housing, etc.

Where else can you buy a two bedroom oceanfront condo for under $150,000 on a nice beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, Myrtle Beach is a very inexpensive place to live. It is very reasonable to go out and eat, groceries, gasoline, taxes, housing, etc.

Where else can you buy a two bedroom oceanfront condo for under $150,000 on a nice beach?
Exactly!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,187,056 times
Well, compared to NOVA, SC is dirt cheap... If what you are doing is a career move that may better your situation later, go for it... If not... think long and hard about it, as, jobs are way more plentiful in that area.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM

747 posts, read 1,684,803 times
Quote:

Where are you talking it's reasonable to go out and eat? It's $60.00 (not counting taxes and tips for two buffets)...to me that's not cheap. Some places I've seen charge $80.00 for a steak. Now I will give it to you on the gas prices those are pretty reasonable, some housing is cheap yes but to some people $150,000 isn't cheap. Again I guess it all depends on where your coming from and what you are used to.

I was used to going out to eat with my husband and only paying $25.00 bucks for the both of us (counting tips and taxes) back in WV. I thought 750.00 a month for a luxury apartment back in WV was big money, but I did get what I paid for with granite counters, cherry wood cabinets, a deck, a fireplace, it was brand new and never lived in, a huge walk in closet with ceiling fans and all of the amenities and a clubhouse to boot...so it was a shock to come down here and see what $750.00 gets you...and it isn't no where close to that. To me what you pay for to live in something decent down here is huge money to me. However maybe $1,000-1,500 a month to you is cheap....but it sure aint to me. Maybe you have big money and all of this is just a drop in the hat to you, but i'm just a normal everyday person and while I wouldn't trade living here for anything, it isn't cheap at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Where are you talking it's reasonable to go out and eat? It's $60.00 (not counting taxes and tips for two buffets)...to me that's not cheap. Some places I've seen charge $80.00 for a steak. Now I will give it to you on the gas prices those are pretty reasonable, some housing is cheap yes but to some people $150,000 isn't cheap. Again I guess it all depends on where your coming from and what you are used to.

I was used to going out to eat with my husband and only paying $25.00 bucks for the both of us (counting tips and taxes) back in WV. I thought 750.00 a month for a luxury apartment back in WV was big money, but I did get what I paid for with granite counters, cherry wood cabinets, a deck, a fireplace, it was brand new and never lived in, a huge walk in closet with ceiling fans and all of the amenities and a clubhouse to boot...so it was a shock to come down here and see what $750.00 gets you...and it isn't no where close to that. To me what you pay for to live in something decent down here is huge money to me. However maybe $1,000-1,500 a month to you is cheap....but it sure aint to me. Maybe you have big money and all of this is just a drop in the hat to you, but i'm just a normal everyday person and while I wouldn't trade living here for anything, it isn't cheap at all.
Okay, I'm really curious. Where did you see an $80 steak?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Okay, I'm really curious. Where did you see an $80 steak?
Sea Blue....maybe It was some thing with the word blue in it and it had blue lights inside it if I remember right, I wanted to go until I saw the prices. Kind of the same thing with boundary house, wanted to go...until I saw the prices. Most of these places unless you go to a chain, or fast food....is pretty dang expensive to eat in. I know when my mom, dad and grandmother came down and went to the giant crab, it was pretty much $200.00 by the time every thing was paid for, guys to me that aint cheap.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,789,699 times
Quote:

Food and going out to eat is not cheaper but I also dont know what you're comparing it to. I can go to NYC and eat for less or the same but salaries are much higher. Gas is lower than many states, property taxes are lower but no other taxes are lower. Most other taxes are higher because its a tourist area, especially sales tax. He's looking to rent anyway and rent here is not less than NJ or PA unless you get a place in a very bad area but then that's the same for those states. You can buy a condo on the beach now since the market dropped for even less than $150,000 but those prices were inflated to over $400,000 when the market was up. He's looking to rent so doesnt matter but even if you buy a condo on the beach here, the insurance and monthly fees are very expensive.

Just curious - when you say groceries are inexpensive, may I ask where you shop? I'd like to find a place cheaper here is why I ask. I find the food here to be more expensive than other states I shop in when I travel. Walmart is less expensive than Kroger or Lowes but it is in other states also, not just here. Thats even if you are willing to shop in Walmart. Thx

Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Sea Blue....maybe It was some thing with the word blue in it and it had blue lights inside it if I remember right, I wanted to go until I saw the prices. Kind of the same thing with boundary house, wanted to go...until I saw the prices. Most of these places unless you go to a chain, or fast food....is pretty dang expensive to eat in. I know when my mom, dad and grandmother came down and went to the giant crab, it was pretty much $200.00 by the time every thing was paid for, guys to me that aint cheap.
I agree with you that Sea Blue is crazy expensive, but I did not see an $80 steak on the menu. Anyway, there are also lots of really excellent places to eat in MB that don't cost an arm and a leg and housing is ridiculously cheap compared to other ocean front places along the east coast.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I agree with you that Sea Blue is crazy expensive, but I did not see an $80 steak on the menu. Anyway, there are also lots of really excellent places to eat in MB that don't cost an arm and a leg and housing is ridiculously cheap compared to other ocean front places along the east coast.
I did see one some where I thought there was where I saw it but I do know I browse places to eat online before we go to get a idea of price and I did run across a few places where steak was just out of this world expensive, I thought I seen it at sea blue I must have been mistaken. I guess if you compare to other places things may be cheaper yes, but like I said me coming from a poor state I wasn't used to these prices so to me, it's all pretty dang expensive. I'd love to know where some inexpensive places to eat are, because so far unless you hit up cracker barrell or the like, it's all pretty pricey.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times
Quote:

You've come from one of the cheapest places in the US, West Virginia. $750 for a luxury apartment??? Hahahaha! It is West Virginia! Certainly there are some nice places there.

Get out of the buffets and you will not be paying much for dinner.

Hit Prossers BBQ if you want a really good buffet at good prices.

Last edited by blueherons; 12-18-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area