Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times

Advertisements

I guess that that movie on Earth Day had more of an effect on me than I realized; now when I walk the beaches I constantly notice the trash either left behind or washed up in the wrack lines. I've started to carry a bag with me to collect what I see.
It occurred to me this morning that if every visitor to our beaches removed just one bit of trash ( including cigarette butts), together we would make an enormous impact on the marine environment as well as our collective living space.
Who knows? maybe it will spread beyond the beach!
But we could start there.

So, next time you are at the beach, or on the marsh, or at the boat ramp....please remember to at least take your own trash away; and if you find trash, please pick it up and remove it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
Agree 100%. Also, would like people to stop throwing trash out the window and have some pride. Don't be so lazy. Can't stand litterbugs.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM

538 posts, read 1,008,001 times
I remember about 30 years ago or so when I was a teenager & just began driving, I was with a friend, and I threw a candy wrapper out of my car window. Well she ripped into me. Went off for about 5 minutes on how bad it was. Needless to say, it opened my eyes to litter bugs. I have never thrown a piece of trash out of the window since. Now that I'm a "mature" man (ha!! ) I try to teach my teenage kids the same lesson.

I've been traveling down to the Carolinas for last 22 years or so. It's sad to say that the roads over the last few years are starting to get filled with litter. I half jokingly tell my wife..."it's all the damn yankees moving down here, and littering the place" . Scary thing is...it might be true.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM

Well I am certain that our friends from up north are not the only ones who forget to clean up after themselves....this morning I picked up 6 plastic bottle caps from in front of a house where a UGA flag was flying!

My only point in submitting this post was to get folks to think ....we share our beaches with a lot of entities, human and otherwise, so please lets try to make it more enjoyable for EVERY ONE by simply picking up after ourselves( at least) and if you see that someone else has been careless, how 'bout taking that off the beach too?

What is that saying about leaving a place better than you found it...?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM

253 posts, read 470,441 times
Here in Texas there are huge fines for littering and many commercials with the theme "Don't Mess with Texas" that have country stars and others in them.

In addition civic groups, fraternities, sororities, etc. volunteer to collect trash along a certain number of miles on highways. There are signs posted that identify these groups all along the highways. As a result, Texas roads - at least the ones I have traveled - are quite clean.

Perhaps my home state could adopt this?

Once I arrive at the beach, I definitely will bring a litter bag and do my part to keep the beaches pristine.

Kudos to busydesk for bringing this up!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM

Salutations again!
I have been spending a LOT of time on the beach recently as a volunteer for the SCUTE organization. That is the folks who monitor sea turtle activity on our shores here in South Carolina, for those who don't know about the group.

I want to thank the beachgoers who've been courteous and cleaned up after themselves; some are more conscientious than others, but at least we're making progress!

Now...about the cigarette butts.....
PEOPLE! PEOPLE! PEOPLE!!!..... The beaches of South Carolina ( or any other coastal community, for that matter) are NOT an ash tray. Please, don't leave your cigar and cigarette butts on the beach. Aside from being incredibly unsightly, this type of trash is very dangerous to our marine life. And over time, contents of the filters can leach into the sand and pollute the beach itself. And those plastic tips from the small cigars...they need to go, too.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 PM

36 posts, read 45,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
I remember about 30 years ago or so when I was a teenager & just began driving, I was with a friend, and I threw a candy wrapper out of my car window. Well she ripped into me. Went off for about 5 minutes on how bad it was. Needless to say, it opened my eyes to litter bugs. I have never thrown a piece of trash out of the window since. Now that I'm a "mature" man (ha!! ) I try to teach my teenage kids the same lesson.

I've been traveling down to the Carolinas for last 22 years or so. It's sad to say that the roads over the last few years are starting to get filled with litter. I half jokingly tell my wife..."it's all the damn yankees moving down here, and littering the place" . Scary thing is...it might be true.
I recently moved to the North Myrtle Beach area from Rhode Island so I guess that makes me a damn Yankee. RI beaches have a "carry in/carry out" policy and and small trash bags are given to every car at the parking lot entrances.

New Englanders don't have the litterbug market sewn up and I'm just wondering why you'd infer something like that in a post.

BTW, I walk the beach down here almost every day and do pick up and dispose of trash. Fortunately SC provides plenty of trash bins on their beaches!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyNight View Post
I recently moved to the North Myrtle Beach area from Rhode Island so I guess that makes me a damn Yankee. RI beaches have a "carry in/carry out" policy and and small trash bags are given to every car at the parking lot entrances.

New Englanders don't have the litterbug market sewn up and I'm just wondering why you'd infer something like that in a post.

BTW, I walk the beach down here almost every day and do pick up and dispose of trash. Fortunately SC provides plenty of trash bins on their beaches!
Because it was said in jest to my wife...but it's definitely more noticeable now. But I was referring to the roads coming down here, NOT the beaches. The population here has boomed since we started coming down here. Is all the extra trash from "damn yankees"?? Of course not!! But I do think some of it has to be.

Oh, and I'm a damn yankee myself...since I just moved here from NY.

Last edited by SC here I come; 07-31-2014 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
...I half jokingly tell my wife..."it's all the damn yankees moving down here, and littering the place" . Scary thing is...it might be true.
If it were only that simple... I'd luv to blame all of our problems on the Nawthern invasion, but they are not the ones who elected Mz Nikki, and I doubt they have worsened our trash problem enough to notice. Born and raised in SC, it has been one of the trashiest states I've known for as long as I can remember. The Grand Strand is bad enough, but travel some of the back roads around small SC towns, particularly along creeks and rivers, and the trash will break your heart. I keep hoping to see some small improvement in our attitudes toward litter, but the kids in our neighborhood are as bad as any from my past. It's a lot like our attitudes toward pollution and environmental destruction. We keep thinking if we ignore the problem it will go away...

Old 08-01-2014, 04:07 PM

It's a shame...no matter what state we live in, country, deserted island, we will always have litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area