Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me places in Myrtle Beach (or around it) to avoid moving to? I realize that there will be traffic, tourists, etc, in pretty much most of the area, but I am more concerned with safety, bad housing, drugs issues, bad school systems, etc. I would be very appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 PM

34 posts, read 100,094 times
was hoping that someone would respond.

We just toured the MR area.. saw a lot of the area.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
I had to deliver some furniture to a house around 10 Ave North near White Street/Grey Street and drove around a few of the blocks in the area. I would recommend anyone looking to move to MB stay clear of there. The homes were very run down & appeared to be somewhat poverty stricken.

I have also heard a few folks complain about sections of the Burgess community off of Route 707 as far as drug activity.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I had to deliver some furniture to a house around 10 Ave North near White Street/Grey Street and drove around a few of the blocks in the area. I would recommend anyone looking to move to MB stay clear of there. The homes were very run down & appeared to be somewhat poverty stricken.

I have also heard a few folks complain about sections of the Burgess community off of Route 707 as far as drug activity.
Any idea of what kind of drug activity? Meth, pot,...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM

I cannot say for sure. I recently entered a law enforcement job down here about 6 months ago after spending 20 years in the NYPD. I haven't heard much about meth, have seen alot of weed & some crack in Georgetown County... But it obviously pales in comparison to NY.

They raided a house in Socastee last month that was being used as a meth lab so I guess it is out there.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 AM

Since you are in law enforcement, can you give me an objective opinion of crime in MB? I would assume that there is probably some petty crimes and fights, etc. that might go along with any tourist city. What is it like year round in the residential areas?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM

I have found the crime in MB to be primarily in the newspapers! Honestly, if you live in a decent area (particularly a planned community with a good homeowners assn) you will not be exposed to many of the problems on crime in MB. There are some seedy blocks and there are drugs but for the most part it is secluded to those areas. The transient population of the summer months make up much of the statistics.

When I moved down here, I never felt like I should carry my firearm. The only time I wished I had it was when I went to Charleston, I guess because of the city feel & reminded me of sections on NY.

I work in Georgetown County, so my official knowledge is down here and most of the crimes involve car break-ins, burglaries (mostly commercial) and domestic violence.

I would suggest subscribing to the local weekely newspaper for the area that you are interested in. They usually have a crime file or police blotter. here's the one for Pawleys Island Coastal Observer.

You can also check out the Sun News for the Myrtle Beach daily news, they also have a crime section.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
You can also check out the Sun News for the Myrtle Beach daily news, they also have a crime section.
I've been going to WBTW and WPDE.com TV news websites,they seem pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area