Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM

36 posts, read 138,817 times

Advertisements

Dear Cameragirl,

We haven't moved to MB, but we're considering it, mainly because everyone we met was friendly. We never saw a pros on the street. Too bad. That would have been interesting. Drugs? Find a place in the world that doesn't have a drug problem.

As for the "redneck Riviera" reputation, you might want to know that we can vacation anywhere. My family has been to many places--and we can afford it. We like MB because it has something for everyone. Upscale neighborhoods and dining, a small "Times Square" strip, all sports, good food, reasonable prices, good beach, and it's close to Charleston and Savannah. Also, it's an easy two-day drive from where we reside.

My family--including a grown daughter who has been to more countries in her twenty-one years than most travelers visit in a lifetime--finds nothing but friendly, helpful people everywhere we go--yes, even in France. People who don't might need a bit of a personal attitude check. Just a smile and treating everyone with respect would be a good start.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
We have been considering a move there after vacationing in MB for 11 years. Now with that being said-I am the only DamnYankee(my Mother says it's just one word) in the whole family. They moved to NY from VA/NC to work back in the 50's and I was born here. Now I grew up with grits, black eyed peas, tea with fresh mint from the garden, boxwoods and honeysuckle. I have never acquired the NY taste for foods up this way.

We just got back from MB and figured after reading this board and some comments, it'd gone to Hell in a Handbasket. Nope, not at all-least not where we've always gone. We stay in one of the campgrounds down near Surfside. We learned after our first trip down, not to go into the major touristy areas. Everyone with the exception of one rude family-their accent screamed NY/NJ area-were polite and helpful. I fractured my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it this past winter and I can not walk without limping. My Hubby was holding the door and they barged right past me(couldn't be bothered to wait for gimpy to go through) to rush to a reservation they had. Well, gee ya all had a reservation what was the rush? I even had a nice man who works at the WalMart at 544 help me get my cart to the register because he saw my limping my way to the register. Made my day.

Our best experience though? Going to the emergency room over on 17 by 544. I have never had a better experience in my life seeing a Dr. Treated my daughter with respect and common sense. It was nice to be treated like a human being at a Dr's office. She had come down with strep and it was a quick visit, no long wait-I was expecting to be there anywhere from 3-7 hours based upon our trips here to the ER. We were in and out within a hour and on the way to the pharmacy. I myself had to go back due to an allergic reaction and wasn't even charged a penny-they do the consultations in the private room to determine if you need prescription or over the counter. Since it was over the counter-no charge! I about fell on the floor. I've never heard such a thing in my life! I've been raving about it to everyone here-no one can believe me. Kudos to those who made our trips there so pleasant and who were kind to us.

I want to be down closer to family-darned long ride once a year-easier to do a 3-4 to see everyone in NC if we move to the area. I just know what areas not to go near and we get along just fine. Heck I even found my Mom's favorite treat from when she was little girl growing up in the 20's and 30's-pickled watermelon rind. And I had the most helpful people point me in the right direction to find it.

If you act like a tourist and behave badly-expect to be treated the same way back. If you use your manners and treat others well, you'll be treated the same way. Doesn't matter where you go for that to happen. There's always going to be someone who's off kilter no matter what way you behave around them. I thank you all for a wonderful trip back to the beach and can't wait to return!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM

245 posts, read 761,845 times
I am shocked by the negative reactions on this board...I live here and I love it.

Last edited by southernbychoice14; 09-05-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 PM

245 posts, read 761,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGirl View Post
Listen we just moved from Georgetown County a couple of months ago and lived there for 5 miserable years- it was awful! I am not from the North, but I have to say that Northerners might sound tough but are usually pretty decent. It was the Southerners that were our biggest problem. They weren't just rude, they were hostile! We got ripped off several times- we were called Yankee's repeatedly. We are extremely friendly people and helpful and we really tried. We didn't bring any attitude with us that we were better than etc... we were really looking forward to living there and from Day One- it was a disaster! I was asked where "I was from every single day" and with real hostility. We were shut out and alienated by nearly all the Southerners. The only people who showed us any kindness was our neighbors- who after living near us knew we were good people. When we left they all apologized for how we had been treated and finally admitted that it was good that we were getting away. Before that they had always seemed to doubt our side or had seemed to think we were at fault, but when we were leaving they all said that they knew how tough the area could be on outsiders. Myrtle Beach and that whole area draws a pretty low grade tourist base. It's not called the "redneck riviera" for nothing- tons of strip clubs, prostitution, drugs, crime and hostility. It really was a nightmare and I can't imagine anyone moving there wanting to raise a family there. It would have to be one of the all time worst places to do so ever. I don't know if they use to/ back in the day-- be friendly or hospitable but they really are not now. Let them have the area, maybe when they get it all back they will be happy. We thought that the beach and inexpensive real estate was just so great- trust me our thinking and our lives took a huge downturn with that move. I still feel very scarred from the experience and I truly hate the thought of others having the same heartbreak we went through. I don't even think it's a good tourist destination for a week or so. I think that people work hard for their money and don't deserve to be treated badly- PERIOD! What a nightmare!
OMG...YOU MOVED TO San Antoino...which is one of the worse places I have ever been....good riddence.
ps...I saw where you were complaining about things there too.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 42,752 times
We are looking to retire to Myrtle Beach. And personally, I think, due to the fact that I will be retired will keep a smile on my face and a pleasant personality for a long long time. How can you be angry or rude to a goof walking around with a big grin all the time..... lol

Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Several months ago we vacationed in MB (kinda looking for our next relocation too) and whether it was at the Hard Rock, It's Sugar at Broadway at the Beach, the hotel, the airport, the beach, anywhere...everyone was nice and courteous. Though it gets a bad rap a lot, we love the area.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
While it's pretty to visit, it's not a great place to settle down in. I mean, sure, you can ignore the various posts advising against moving here. Why would we try and encourage you to look elsewhere unless we were truly trying to help?

I am CONSTANTLY complaining to my parents, who were in a state of denial until fairly recently, about the gross incompetance of many of the local governments and schools. They have lived here for almost 9 years and they just didn't see it...or they chose not to. However, you can only deny reality for so long.

Here is today's shining example: My mother calls me, quite annoyed, at around 9am this morning. My son's art teacher had been trying to reach me, as a result of a follow up email convo we were having with each other. She was trying to give us some info about switching schools when we move, etc. However, she called my parents, not me, whom I haven't lived with in quite some time. THIS was a simple error on her part. But this should have NEVER have occured in the first place.

When we register our kids for school, you put your home number, emergency contacts, who can pick up the kids, etc. My parents are listed as emergency and pick up. Our home number and address is the same as it was last year, and was listed on at LEAST 6 pieces of paper on the registration, for TWO high school children. (total of around 12 pages, perhaps?)

Well, my mom informed them I didn't live there, and pls remove her from the list of numbers to call. Ok see...last year she was getting calls repeatedly day and night about school closings, delays...emergencies or not. For schools the kids attended, and ones they didn't. (We moved from one school to another the year prior but for some reason they couldn't figure out to delete us even after we unenrolled them). So...she got calls from St. James, Ocean Bay Middle, and The Academy...none of which she should have gotten to begin with! We called and called to have it removed. FOUR times we begged. By then, school was almost over. Evidently, they couldn't get it right.

Fast forward to today. Rinse repeat of last year? Oh, I think not. I figured, if people couldn't do their job correctly, I'd be more than happy to do it for them since I'm looking for a job. Hey, my mom worked for a school district for 20+ years, I'm sure she could teach them where the backspace key is on the keyboard. When we informed them this would be our only contact with them prior to emailing or calling the superintendant's office, they finally removed her numbers.

This, ladies and gentelman, isn't rocket science. When you put someone's numbers down for EMERGENCIES, it means just that. It doesn't mean "put them into the automatic calling system". It doesn't mean "call them when Johnny stubs his toe". It means EMERGENCIES. Like the school being on fire (or close to a fire and having early dismissal, like it was last year...that was a valid call).

It seriously took over 36 months to have one phone number removed. Up north, when you got your forms for school, you got a bus form, a nurse form, the school district form, etc. Each went in its own place. Silly me, when I filled out the "Emergency contact" form, I thought it was for emergencies.

Don't even get me started on the trials and tribulations of a northern woman trying to file for divorce and having to explain to a JUDGE the difference between "plaintiff" and "defendant". The obvious disdain for northern women, or maybe just women in general, is just sickening. I'm sitting here shaking my head in quiet disbelief. I'm still shocked at the stupidity that day.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Hmmm. Let me walk you through what happened to us here in MI, in a city where during the 5 months you can actually bike or walk here w/o 3-10 feet of snow covering the ground and on these walks 4 out of 5 people will turn their head to avoid making eye contact with you. We, like soooo many people, have our house for sale in hopes of leaving this dying city. And here is what our realtor did for us, making your phone number scenerio weak at best.

1-"At that price I gaurentee your house will sell." 6 months later and it's still for sale. AND we lowered it another 12k from that gaurenteed asking price.
2-Had the property code numbers on our yard sign wrong, TWICE! It took 5 months to get resolved. Yes, up north things move fast, right?
3-Our address was listed wrong on our final 2 open house ads in the paper. Even after our agent PROMISED to get it right the 2nd time. Her claim for the error was that she was too busy giving blood that day to proofread the ad. What? Giving blood is an all day event nowadays?
3-Our township was listed incorrectly again and again.
4-Our listing price was put in the paper at the wrong price.
5-2 months AFTER being told our asking price was perfect and that the house would sell, she had the nerve to tell us "your house is overpriced."
6-She listed the number of bedrooms wrong, too low of course.
7-She listed the square footage way too low.

So you see, MB isn't the only place that people screw up. I realize you hate the city, there's always one on EVERY forum, but many people like it. I will trade cities with you in a hummingbird heartbeat. I've researched cities, probably 25 by now, and I am always told by someone on that cities forum it'd be the biggest mistake of my life to move there. Jacksonville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, San Antonio, Tampa, Virginia Beach, Raleigh and so on. I guess every city is the worst. So if I have to pick my poison, maybe Myrtle Beach will be it.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post

So you see, MB isn't the only place that people screw up. I realize you hate the city, there's always one on EVERY forum, but many people like it. .
I wish there was just one of us on this forum, but there isn't. It's not just me saying stay away. There have been others. Ok, granted, if you are coming here with a job already, it's not too bad. If you're retired, it's not bad, especially if you like golf.

But when you're finished with the golf, and tired of the sand, what's left? Charleston and the outskirts! I love that place! Far more family and pet friendly, imo. Way more dog parks, that's for sure.

I guess I base my disdain for MB based on the 5 years living here. I've fought the courts, where I've had to explain the difference between the plaintiff and the defendant to a JUDGE, who truly didn't belong behind the bench. (my whole 2 years of law classes shouldn't make me more knowledgeable of basic law, sorry) I've had to argue with the school district to get 7 numbers removed from a computer. Ok...the unemployment people are VERY VERY nice and will do anything in their power to help you get a job. The DMV ppl are probably the nicest/fastest ones you will ever meet in your life.

However, when you read in the paper(s), we get 3 of them...plus the online news...about all of the corruption, etc...you have to wonder "where am I living?!" What you read on the forums isn't everything that's going on here.

I am a huge WMBF fan, a new local tv station. They make TONS of errors on every broadcast. Heck, every person that speaks on camera there makes an error almost every time they talk. But you know what? They are learning. They just passed their first year. I give them credit for that. Danner Evans, their lead anchorwoman, is very pregnant and looks absolutely stunning. I could care less if she makes 10 errors a sentence (she doesn't make that many, just saying!)...because she's trying!!!

I wish I could say the same elsewhere in the area. I just can't in good faith. There simply is no excuse for a seasoned judge not to know which party is which, especially when LOOKING at the divorce petition where it says Plaintiff: xxxxx vs Defendant: xxxxx and then arguing over it? C'mon, where's the logic in that?

Where's the logic in worrying more about bears than finishing a road that can be used for evacuating in emergencies such as a fire or a hurricane? (or in our case, GETTING to the wildfire). I'm a tree hugger as much as others, but people's lives > bears. (note: the bears got pushed out of that area during the wildfires and into the residential neighborhoods. Why? They couldn't reach THAT AREA to put out the fire because the roads weren't finished!!! ok, the bear WAS kinda cute )

Where's the logic of throwing down pretty roads with medians and such, just to pull them up later to put in turning lanes? Waste of $$, no?

Where's the logic in letting people drown in 6' ditches along the sides of the roads, when their cars overturn because of slick roads? (2 died in the same area, different accidents) The response was...the cars would suffer more damage if they hit a guardrail. More damage than dying? Oooook.

Where's the logic in pushing/forcing out the group that spends tons of money during the month of May, which keeps businesses afloat for the rest of the year. Ok, some elderly people don't like the noise of the motorcycles, I understand that. Heck, I don't care for it much either. But it's $$ we really cannot afford to turn away. Besides, we know what really was going on here. It wasn't the Harleys they were turning away. It was the "other" bike ralley. But to avoid being called racist or whatever, they had to shut down both rallies.

I could go on and on but I have a feeling I'd really dislike my area more and more and I have to stay here for a few more years.

But heck, welcome to Myrtle Beach!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 AM

I get what you're saying. MB is just one option for us, but I doubt it will happen as people are fleeing here at rapid pace leaving empty houses and buildings everywhere. Why is it that you stay? And yes, I'd have a job lined up. One that I'd actually make real money unlike this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area