Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,156 times

Advertisements

What is there to do outside of Myrtle Beach?
For those who have moved to MB, once you have seen and done it all within MB, is there anything within driving distance that warrants one to move to MB?
Other then Charleston and Wilmington trips and if you have already experienced those, what do you do other then they normal beach, food, shopping?
Driving to MB it always seems a hour or so away all you see is small towns and run down areas with nothing appealing until you get to the Conway area.
Am I missing something, we love MB for vacation but what would make someone want to move there? I know the beach is nice, food, shopping etc but what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Low taxes & nice weather would be a reason to move here.

What is it you're looking to do? I moved from just outside NYC where there's probably more to do then anywhere in the country and I never run out of things to do here. If you're in to outdoor activities; fishing, camping, jet ski, boating, surfing etc... can do that. Indoor; movies, shopping, shows, concerts, museums, art galleries, wine tasting, dancing etc...is all here too.

I haven't been to the mountains but my neighbors go all the time, so it's not that far. Actually I think there's more to do here then most places but I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Rapture has pretty much summed it up... there's little reason to travel much outside of MB except for the trip to Charleston (or Wilminton for those north of Myrtle Beach). The only thing missing may be some of the larger venues that I used to attend occassionally in NY. For concerts or major sporting events you can get to Chartlotte or Atlanta in 4-5 hours, but with the Hard Rock Park opening I hope to fill the void for concerts. Darlington has the race track.

It seems to me that most of the folks that live within the hour or two from MB travel to us for the entertainment.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,162 times
I don't live here because of all the nice things that MB has to offer. I live her because SC is home to me. I don't get bored when it comes to MB. But I do love this state, so I'm willing to drive to Charleston, Columbia and many other areas just to see and experience other parts of the state.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
What is there to do outside of Myrtle Beach?
For those who have moved to MB, once you have seen and done it all within MB, is there anything within driving distance that warrants one to move to MB?
Other then Charleston and Wilmington trips and if you have already experienced those, what do you do other then they normal beach, food, shopping?
Driving to MB it always seems a hour or so away all you see is small towns and run down areas with nothing appealing until you get to the Conway area.
Am I missing something, we love MB for vacation but what would make someone want to move there? I know the beach is nice, food, shopping etc but what else?
Well the Sunshine ( like in your name LOL) brings me here.
Its so nice to leave the snow, ice, and cold behind........ride all winter with the windows down, walk on the walkways of barefoot landing, and broadway at the Beach.
There seems to be something new cropping up all the time.
One year it was the glorious "Coastal Mall" coming to life......in what once was barren land.
This year, its the new "Market Common" and the new " Hard Rock Park".....
Seems always there is something grand happening.
When there isn't.......its for the wonderful dinners with friends at Murrells Inlet......
For hubby it would be golfing that would bring him here, like a heaven on earth for golfers.
I never get sick of the pottery places, and what great finds are to be had there.
With the ocean at our feet, how can we complain...... Its the ocean that calls me forever here.....
I could never tire of Myrtle Beach......nor' the smiling faces, beautiful places.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.
We are thinking of moving to Florida or Myrtle Beach and cannot decide. My hubby wants to go to Florida so we can have year around sunshine and more things to do and I would rather move to Myrtle Beach because we love it there. But he contends outside of MB there is nothing and after a period of time we would get bored because we have pretty much done everything in Myrtle Beach already after vacationing there for many years.
Also, MB schools are not rated very high at all and we have kids in grade school.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,312 times
I live in the Carolina Forest area and I have to say the schools are very good here.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I live in the Carolina Forest area and I have to say the schools are very good here.
We drove through that Carolina Forest area in August and loved it. Other then the traffic, have they figured out a way to get people out the area with widening the "back way" out?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,312 times
The traffic to me really isn't that bad, I came from NJ and traffic there was a nightmare so this is nothing!

We live in The Farm, so I don't really go down Carolina Forest Blvd, if that is the road you mean. I go out the back way by the school on International Drive and usually go on 17.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
The traffic to me really isn't that bad, I came from NJ and traffic there was a nightmare so this is nothing!

We live in The Farm, so I don't really go down Carolina Forest Blvd, if that is the road you mean. I go out the back way by the school on International Drive and usually go on 17.
Yes, that is the road. Do yu turn left or right at the end of the dead end going out of CF to get to 17?
I drove through the Farm area, doesnt it have a silo in the front?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area