Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,411 times

Advertisements

Hello! Well, as many of you warned me and predicted: my move to Naples didn't last very long. In fact, it has been just 4 months and I am packing up.

I've learned alot from my experience that I would be happy to share with those considering a move...to anywhere...but especially to the Naples FL area. Saying that it is "different" in Naples is an understatement. Naples may visually look like paradise...but as the saying goes, "beauty is only skin deep". I felt like I was on a different planet! I do not want to say anything negative...but it just wasn't for me. I would be happy to share specifics and experience if it can help someone.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 PM

458 posts, read 598,635 times
Good luck with your move. We were considering Naples because it has a tennis academy our daughter was looking at. We were steered clear by many on this forum. We are choosing Palm Beach Gardens or Parkland/Boca instead.

Hey...look a few threads down. Someone is looking for advice on Naples from Wisconsin...you could save them some trouble!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
Hello! Well, as many of you warned me and predicted: my move to Naples didn't last very long. In fact, it has been just 4 months and I am packing up.

I've learned alot from my experience that I would be happy to share with those considering a move...to anywhere...but especially to the Naples FL area. Saying that it is "different" in Naples is an understatement. Naples may visually look like paradise...but as the saying goes, "beauty is only skin deep". I felt like I was on a different planet! I do not want to say anything negative...but it just wasn't for me. I would be happy to share specifics and experience if it can help someone.
I don't want this to be a bash Naples thread, I only want to hear your thoughts. From reading your posts what changed that caused such a 180 degree turn around? What is next for you?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,585 times
I'd like to hear your thoughts, I lived there for 23 years and couldn't get out fast enough or far enough away.The joke in Naples is that its not reality. People don't really live like that. The people are rude, the weather is horrible, the bugs are nasty, the housing is expenisve and hard to find epecially renting.. Please share your thoughts on the "paradise" that everyone defends here so religiously.. You leaving at a good time, season will be starting soon so you know that horrible traffic and construction, its about to get a thousand times worse.. But people don't listen, no offense we've all done it ourselves, and they think one visit there is enough to be sold on and thats not so.. Its not paradise when you have to work, pay bills, commute, shop etc. Its a whole nother thing to vacation and sip drinks of the beach for a week and take cute trolley rides through town. The truth is its a great place to vacation and visit but not to live. My entire family lives there and I literally have no desire to go back and see them because that would require me to go to Naples

Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,624 times
I'm not telling you what to do, but is 4 months really enough time to see if you like a place? Isn't it expensive to up and move across country again like that?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Yep. Classic example of someone dying to move to the area, with stars in their eyes, and plenty of warning from people that have been there done that, but went there anyways.

Well, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to move to southwest Florida, but I landed there anyway. Horrible experience, whether you want to move there or not.

I'll say this for Nancy Lynne, at least she has the gears to admit her mistake. Typical northeast girl, she tells it like it is.

The scary part, Nancy Lynne, is you were not even there for snowbird season, when things get so much worse. Really. Run for your life, girl!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,562 times
What was wrong with Naples? I'd like to know. Only visited twice and one time it was nice the next we got very rude service from the waitresses even though we were the only ones there. Not like they were busy doing anything.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Best of luck on whatever direction the next path in life takes you.

We are leaving SW FL due to many reasons, one primarily being this is an awful place to raise young children.

You tried. Hope the next stop works better for you!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Sorry it did not work out for you, Nancy.
Don't be afraid to tell it like it is, you have had the experience there, however brief, and people would like to hear from you.
OTOH
Florida is a big state, and I don't think north Florida has quite the problems that SW Florida has. What are your plans now? We love Fernandina.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:01 AM

672 posts, read 905,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

I envy you. I really, really do. Count your blessings that you CAN leave. Our move here was not by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples