Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved into a community called Canterbury Village in Naples, FL. I have been living and working in Naples for 4 years now and I never had experienced age descrimination before but had heard about it from colleagues and friends.
The day I signed my lease I introduced myself to the condo association president. She promptly informed me that if I went to a certain pool in the community I would have "a hard time" because I was so young (26 years old- I thought I was old enough to swim alone!) She cited an "older crowd" there who may not be accepting of me. This association president watched me and my boyfriend and my aunt and our movers move into my new place over the weekend and she has reported me to my landlord for everything she percieves as an infraction within FOUR 4 days of living here.
Does anyone think she is descriminating against me due to my age? I thought the pool warning was somewhat descriminatory. This is NOt a 55 and over community- so what is the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Default At 58 years old in a Senior Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlwattsy View Post
I have recently moved into a community called Canterbury Village in Naples, FL. I have been living and working in Naples for 4 years now and I never had experienced age descrimination before but had heard about it from colleagues and friends.
The day I signed my lease I introduced myself to the condo association president. She promptly informed me that if I went to a certain pool in the community I would have "a hard time" because I was so young (26 years old- I thought I was old enough to swim alone!) She cited an "older crowd" there who may not be accepting of me. This association president watched me and my boyfriend and my aunt and our movers move into my new place over the weekend and she has reported me to my landlord for everything she percieves as an infraction within FOUR 4 days of living here.
Does anyone think she is descriminating against me due to my age? I thought the pool warning was somewhat descriminatory. This is NOt a 55 and over community- so what is the issue?
Ok, not in Naples but up North. I applied to rent in a Senior Community. When I went viewing the community with my agent, people were stopping and staring at me. Mind you, I was 58, not 28, but seems they still didn't like it. I looked like I could be the residents DAUGHTER, even at my age. They turned down my rental because I was "TOO YOUNG". I found out later they rented to two sisters in their SEVENTIES!

Find someplace else if you are that young.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM

186 posts, read 471,016 times
Just wanted to know if you were brought to your new community through a Realtor? Does your lease have riders referring to to all the various rules of the community?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM

One more thing. My 30 year old daughter only lasted 4 months in Naples. "Nothing but OLD people". I read somewhere that that median age in Naples is 62. Other than Golden Gate City, go to NORTH Naples(above Pne Ridge) if you are young. AVOID gated golf type communities.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
One more thing. My 30 year old daughter only lasted 4 months in Naples. "Nothing but OLD people". I read somewhere that that median age in Naples is 62. Other than Golden Gate City, go to NORTH Naples(above Pne Ridge) if you are young. AVOID gated golf type communities.
If Naples was nothing but old people they certainly wouldnt be opening a brand new children's museum this month across the street from a water park no less. My 70 year old grandmother is hardly fighting for a spot on the slide come June

As for the poster some neighborhoods are just like that even people in my grand others association are like that against each other. I suggest staying more north Naples if you can or eve estero ( three oaks pkwy area) that's where the younger residents reside. GL!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
If I could be guaranteed to avoid the type of discrimination that OP has described, I would love to live in a community full of retirees. Those places are quiet, yet there are always people around during the day, so they're safe. Also, most of these retirees were raised in an era when America was more wholesome.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
If Naples was nothing but old people they certainly wouldnt be opening a brand new children's museum this month across the street from a water park no less. My 70 year old grandmother is hardly fighting for a spot on the slide come June

As for the poster some neighborhoods are just like that even people in my grand others association are like that against each other. I suggest staying more north Naples if you can or eve estero ( three oaks pkwy area) that's where the younger residents reside. GL!
They are building another water slide? I like going to the Water Park when my daughter (27) comes to visit. It's nice but they could use more slides/water rides. I prefer Water Parks to Beaches which I find boring.

Oh, did I mention that I am 7 years younger than your Grandma? Yes, I LOVE water slides. Maybe that is a problem I HAVE, let alone my children, with Naples. People MY AGE who act like my PARENTS.

As my kids said about that Senior Community, "Mom, you would not have fit in there." In hindsight since living in Naples, they were right.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They are building another water slide? I like going to the Water Park when my daughter (27) comes to visit. It's nice but they could use more slides/water rides. I prefer Water Parks to Beaches which I find boring.

Oh, did I mention that I am 7 years younger than your Grandma? Yes, I LOVE water slides. Maybe that is a problem I HAVE, let alone my children, with Naples. People MY AGE who act like my PARENTS.

As my kids said about that Senior Community, "Mom, you would not have fit in there." In hindsight since living in Naples, they were right.
I don't believe they are building another one, try Sun Splash they have more slides I think

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

102 posts, read 267,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
If I could be guaranteed to avoid the type of discrimination that OP has described, I would love to live in a community full of retirees. Those places are quiet, yet there are always people around during the day, so they're safe. Also, most of these retirees were raised in an era when America was more wholesome.

I bought a condo in King's Lake in Greenwood Village when I was 23. Most of the other residents were older and retired from the midwest or Wisconsin. They were very, very welcoming and so nice to me, no one ever hassled me about anything. There was always someone around to help if I needed assistance (ie., when my hot water heater blew) and to watch my cat when I traveled. Living in Greenwood Village was a very positive experience for me..... Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP landed in a place with "Condo Commandos."

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 AM

[quote=Jo48;22808800]They are building another water slide? I like going to the Water Park when my daughter (27) comes to visit. It's nice but they could use more slides/water rides. I prefer Water Parks to Beaches which I find boring.

quote]

Thats nice maybe its the one thing that'll make you happy in this "miserable town" that all us idiots live in right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples