Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 10,621 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for replies. And to MarkJames68, not sure there's any weather worse than a NYC subway platform in August, especially when the train is more than a few minutes away.

To ron e wheels, I just looked at zillow at rentals, and there appears to be many, many rentals available...a bit overwhelming. I guess I will have to narrow down to specific developments.

Also, looks like a car is a necessity. Wondering if Naples has those "charging stations" if I decide to go electric?

Thanks again, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 12:46 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSgal1 View Post
Thanks again for replies. And to MarkJames68, not sure there's any weather worse than a NYC subway platform in August, especially when the train is more than a few minutes away.
Obviously I used it as a familiar comparison with walking around Naples during the heat of summer. It does get pretty oppressive and unbearable between say 10am and 6pm.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Obviously I used it as a familiar comparison with walking around Naples during the heat of summer. It does get pretty oppressive and unbearable between say 10am and 6pm.
Good to know, as I've never been to Naples in the summer. I plan to keep the NYC place for the family, so looks like I may be visiting up north during the summer!

Old 10-16-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Good to know, as I've never been to Naples in the summer. I plan to keep the NYC place for the family, so looks like I may be visiting up north during the summer!
Ok, then you definitely need to visit for a week or 2 in July if you are thinking about moving there. Seriously.

The big benefits of summer are low crowds, so easy to get into restaurants as well as around town, but again, do not underestimate the months of heat and humidity. Plus it will rain almost every day in the early to late afternoon - a downpour for around 15-45 minutes.

My favorite times in Naples were always April/May after season and October/November before season. If you’re living there full time you will also likely start to get annoyed by season.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:21 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
Quote:
Ok, then you definitely need to visit for a week or 2 in July if you are thinking about moving there. Seriously.

The big benefits of summer are low crowds, so easy to get into restaurants as well as around town, but again, do not underestimate the months of heat and humidity. Plus it will rain almost every day in the early to late afternoon - a downpour for around 15-45 minutes.

My favorite times in Naples were always April/May after season and October/November before season. If you’re living there full time you will also likely start to get annoyed by season.
Amen to all of this. "Sauna" (summer) is the reason that people do the snowbird thing.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Amen to all of this. "Sauna" (summer) is the reason that people do the snowbird thing.
After getting though my 6th summer I’m ready to do the whole snowbird thing too!! The first 3-4 summers I actually enjoyed because it was a mix of being in the honeymoon period and enjoying the warm gulf and thunderstorms, but I think the cumulative effect of the summers here have worn me down some. Still grateful that it’s such a beautiful place Naples anytime of the year but the snowbird thing sounds pretty good to me!

Old 10-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Do many do the snowbird thing? I do plan on keeping the NYC apartment, so would have a "home base" should I decide to venture to the Hamptons or Rhode Island say in July/Aug. But wondering what percentage of Naples residents actually leave for the summer months? Do condo developments become ghost towns in the summer months?

Old 10-16-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Do many do the snowbird thing? I do plan on keeping the NYC apartment, so would have a "home base" should I decide to venture to the Hamptons or Rhode Island say in July/Aug. But wondering what percentage of Naples residents actually leave for the summer months? Do condo developments become ghost towns in the summer months?
It's tough to tell, because many snowbirds choose to domicile in Florida for tax reasons. NY likes to get its hooks into you so if you keep the NYC apartment you won't have any luck with that.

I can't speak about all condos, but in my SFH community, I'd say that half were seasonal residents, about 1/3 full year retirees and the remaining 1/6 were full year working people. My golf club revolved its activities totally around "season".

I'd say that the average condo community is less than 50% occupied during the summer. Maybe less depending on the area.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
After getting though my 6th summer I’m ready to do the whole snowbird thing too!! The first 3-4 summers I actually enjoyed because it was a mix of being in the honeymoon period and enjoying the warm gulf and thunderstorms, but I think the cumulative effect of the summers here have worn me down some. Still grateful that it’s such a beautiful place Naples anytime of the year but the snowbird thing sounds pretty good to me!

LOL... Me too. Almost 33 years full time in FL, and I still dread the summers.

It's a big deal in our house when we can actually open the windows and kill the AC without turning the house into a sauna.

We had them open for a few hours last week until it got humid again. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Last edited by Tripower455; 10-16-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-16-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It's tough to tell, because many snowbirds choose to domicile in Florida for tax reasons. NY likes to get its hooks into you so if you keep the NYC apartment you won't have any luck with that.

I can't speak about all condos, but in my SFH community, I'd say that half were seasonal residents, about 1/3 full year retirees and the remaining 1/6 were full year working people. My golf club revolved its activities totally around "season".

I'd say that the average condo community is less than 50% occupied during the summer. Maybe less depending on the area.
Thanks for the information. Lots to think about and consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples