Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSgal1 View Post
Also, I'm assuming central air conditioning is the norm down there? I hate the window ACs that those who live in prewar apartments must resort to.
Yes. Central is the norm in all but the oldest homes, and most of those have been retrofitted with central AC.

Humidity is as big, (or even bigger) an issue as temperature is in the summer, and often in the winter.

My lake house (in Central FL) was built in the mid 50's as a well to do snowbird's winter home, and it wasn't originally built with AC. It has a whole house attic fan and originally had an oil burner like you'd see up north. The winters up here are a bit cooler than down in Naples though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 07:25 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
mid 50s and widow moving to Southwest FL?

I mean for you I'd find a single, wealthy guy in his mid 60s in Naples and go with that. If you like guys a bit older you should have no problem dating in SWFL. Find a retired guy with money. Should have no issues at all. Dating for old people is great in Florida.

I on the other hand I'm 36 and my area is just dreadful being the oldest median age in the state. Online dating sites are terrible around here for my age.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:16 AM

731 posts, read 768,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
mid 50s and widow moving to Southwest FL?

I mean for you I'd find a single, wealthy guy in his mid 60s in Naples and go with that. If you like guys a bit older you should have no problem dating in SWFL. Find a retired guy with money. Should have no issues at all. Dating for old people is great in Florida.

I on the other hand I'm 36 and my area is just dreadful being the oldest median age in the state. Online dating sites are terrible around here for my age.
Soooo true! But may have to go with a guy in his 70's. lol

Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Yes. Central is the norm in all but the oldest homes, and most of those have been retrofitted with central AC.

Humidity is as big, (or even bigger) an issue as temperature is in the summer, and often in the winter.

My lake house (in Central FL) was built in the mid 50's as a well to do snowbird's winter home, and it wasn't originally built with AC. It has a whole house attic fan and originally had an oil burner like you'd see up north. The winters up here are a bit cooler than down in Naples though.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Very true. Even in Naples back then winters were a bit cooler.

But today, central FL like Orlando and that you would need AC in the winter since you get more and more days with highs approaching mid 80s now in the winter than back in the 50s.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:01 AM

40 posts, read 44,191 times
oh great, another NYer

Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Very true. Even in Naples back then winters were a bit cooler.

But today, central FL like Orlando and that you would need AC in the winter since you get more and more days with highs approaching mid 80s now in the winter than back in the 50s.
Yeah, there's no way I could live here without AC, even in the winter. I was amazed at how little we used it last year. We'd go weeks without the AC ever kicking on, where in Naples, you were lucky to get a few days, maybe a week at a time. We used the heat more last winter than we did in the previous 32 years, combined, in Naples.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there's no way I could live here without AC, even in the winter. I was amazed at how little we used it last year. We'd go weeks without the AC ever kicking on, where in Naples, you were lucky to get a few days, maybe a week at a time. We used the heat more last winter than we did in the previous 32 years, combined, in Naples.
I live in Punta Gorda, 50 miles north of Naples and even in that distance it's a lot different. our nighttime lows in winter are always a few degrees cooler and highs a couple degrees cooler in winter. Even the landscape is different with a quite tropical look in Naples with big Coconut trees. We don't have nearly as many Coconut trees in Punta Gorda or as tropical look. But you go out to Englewood on Manasota Key and it looks a lot more tropical in a short distance

Regardless of time of year I do notice the dewpoints are higher in Naples and it always feels more humid in Naples, especially in the summer compared to Punta Gorda.

On the west coast of Florida south of Tampa Bay along the immediate coast takes on a more tropical type look, otherwise Ft. Myers on south it really becomes more tropical regardless of how far inland.

Naples though feels a lot warmer than when I lived there in the 90s. I do have to wonder if water temps keep staying warm later in the year and lack of cold fronts if we will start seeing more late season tropical threats come up from the south well into Nov if that becomes a norm eventually.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:02 AM

152 posts, read 104,444 times
I'll put in my 2 cents on this thread. 1.) I love warm, tropical weather but taking 3 showers a day and changing 3 outfits a day grows old. Naples is hot and steamy. Get ready for that. 2.) Major congestion on the roads, in the grocery stores, etc It might not be bad to you since you are used to NYC, but it gets old after a while and as someone mentioned, Naples is not a very walkable city 3.) Politics....SWFL tends to be more conservative. So if you plan on bringing your politics with you, you most likely will have to look for other NYers to connect with. With that all said, have you thought about Sarasota? It is cooler, much more walkable, less congested, safe and has a plethora of arts and activities. On top of that is a more Liberal city. The mayor is a Democrat, educated in France. Do some research into the Lido Beach/St. Armands area. It is really lovely. You would not need a car in Sarasota if you chose to live in that area. Beach, theatre, symphony, el Fresco dining at world-class restaurants, banks, shops, groceries, boat marina, as well as a highly rated hospital are all within a 6-mile radius. I have lived in both areas and Lido/St Armands wins hands down over Naples. Good luck to you.

Read more: NYC 50s Widow contemplating Naples

Old 10-21-2020, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSRQ View Post
I'll put in my 2 cents on this thread. 1.) I love warm, tropical weather but taking 3 showers a day and changing 3 outfits a day grows old. Naples is hot and steamy. Get ready for that. 2.) Major congestion on the roads, in the grocery stores, etc It might not be bad to you since you are used to NYC, but it gets old after a while and as someone mentioned, Naples is not a very walkable city 3.) Politics....SWFL tends to be more conservative. So if you plan on bringing your politics with you, you most likely will have to look for other NYers to connect with. With that all said, have you thought about Sarasota? It is cooler, much more walkable, less congested, safe and has a plethora of arts and activities. On top of that is a more Liberal city. The mayor is a Democrat, educated in France. Do some research into the Lido Beach/St. Armands area. It is really lovely. You would not need a car in Sarasota if you chose to live in that area. Beach, theatre, symphony, el Fresco dining at world-class restaurants, banks, shops, groceries, boat marina, as well as a highly rated hospital are all within a 6-mile radius. I have lived in both areas and Lido/St Armands wins hands down over Naples. Good luck to you.

Read more: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/nap...-naples-4.html
Thank you! Will research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples