Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSgal1 View Post
Thanks for the information. Lots to think about and consider!
No problem. Naples is amazing and if you can keep your NYC apartment it might be a good balance - September through April in Naples and May through August in NYC.

It’s possible for NYC to be hotter in the summer than Naples, but it’s the consistency. A NYC heat wave might last a week, while you get months of 90+ days in Naples.

Also - if you’re not right on the Gulf add a few degrees.

This is Immokalee (inland)

This is Naples (on the gulf)

You can see a slight increase in the heat of the summer inland, which would also apply once you’re east of I-75 (maybe even further west) due to lack of the water nearby.

Compare this with NY.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 02:10 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
LOL... Me too. Almost 33 years full time in FL, and I still dread the summers.

It's a big deal in our house when we can actually open the windows and kill the AC without turning the house into a sauna.

We had them open for a few hours last week until it got humid again. It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Haha...RIGHT.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
No problem. Naples is amazing and if you can keep your NYC apartment it might be a good balance - September through April in Naples and May through August in NYC.

It’s possible for NYC to be hotter in the summer than Naples, but it’s the consistency. A NYC heat wave might last a week, while you get months of 90+ days in Naples.

You can see a slight increase in the heat of the summer inland, which would also apply once you’re east of I-75 (maybe even further west) due to lack of the water nearby.

Compare this with NY.
Interesting, when comparing Immokalee to Naples I would think in the winter months Immokalee would have SLIGHTLY cooler morning lows rather then SLIGHTLY warmer morning lows as the two charts indicate. Not uncommon for places like Arcadia even to dip into the upper 40’s during winter in the early morning and Naples still be in the upper 50’s even low 60’s.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Interesting, when comparing Immokalee to Naples I would think in the winter months Immokalee would have SLIGHTLY cooler morning lows rather then SLIGHTLY warmer morning lows as the two charts indicate. Not uncommon for places like Arcadia even to dip into the upper 40’s during winter in the early morning and Naples still be in the upper 50’s even low 60’s.
I would have thought the same but the charts are the charts.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,091,532 times
Quote:

Compare this with NY.
What's not mentioned in the charts is the "feels like" temperature when you factor in the 90%+ humidity for 5-6 months.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
What's not mentioned in the charts is the "feels like" temperature when you factor in the 90%+ humidity for 5-6 months.
Correct! But the important thing for OP is the curve - in NYC it’s hot in August (still averages lower than Naples) but is only so for a short time, unlike the 4-5 months of consistently hot and humid weather in Naples.

When the LOW is in the 70’s you can’t catch a break. I used to have to walk my dog before 8am otherwise it would be too hot, and then in the evening after it started to cool down. And even then I’d be drenched in sweat due to the 90+% humidity. The only other places I can recall like Naples are New Orleans and cities in India.

The payoff for seasonal residents are 4 winter months of 60’s-low 80’s with no rain and lower humidity.

Last edited by markjames68; 10-16-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Correct! But the important thing for OP is the curve - in NYC it’s hot in August (still averages lower than Naples) but is only so for a short time, unlike the 4-5 months of consistently hot and humid weather in Naples.

When the LOW is in the 70’s you can’t catch a break. I used to have to walk my dog before 8am otherwise it would be too hot, and then in the evening after it started to cool down. And even then I’d be drenched in sweat due to the 90+% humidity. The only other places I can recall like Naples are New Orleans and cities in India.

The payoff for seasonal residents are 4 winter months of 60’s-low 80’s with no rain and lower humidity.
No arguments there. I used to ride my road bicycle late at night for 2 reasons. Very little traffic and it was a bit cooler. I'd still roast when I stopped for lights and stuff, but it was better than during the day. Thankfully we had a pool, and I'd often get back at 1AM, park the bike, remove my helmet and shoes, then jump right in the pool in my full riding kit.

Last edited by Tripower455; 10-16-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Haha...RIGHT.

Woke up to low 70s and low humidity this morning! Windows are open!

Old 10-17-2020, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 10,621 times
Quote:

Compare this with NY.
Very informative, thanks. Looks like a 2/3 / 1/3 situation might be ideal.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 10,621 times
Also, I'm assuming central air conditioning is the norm down there? I hate the window ACs that those who live in prewar apartments must resort to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples