Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
You definitely need to sit down & work out a budget as your number one priority. According to my calculations, a $615 apartment is out of your price range. You'd be much better off in a $400 a mo. situation, but then quality of life issues might come into play once you go too low for rent.

Basically if you're collectively earning $14.75/hr. & only work 30 hours a week then you're left with around $1500/mo. after taxes.

Let's say this:

Rent including water: $615
Gas (I don't have gas so I'm not exactly sure): $50
Modest amt of electricity: $70
Car Insurance:$80
Cheap Cell for her: $35
Modest amt of gas for your cars: $320
Modest food budget for 2: $400

This put's you at $1570 right here & those are all very modest figures & there is no wiggle room for luxuries like cable & internet let alone ever going to the dentist or getting an oil change.

I'm certainly not one to talk though, I moved out of my parents house as soon as I turned 18 & only had a part-time $7.40 an hour job at a dry cleaner in Goodlettsville & no car

I survived by eating about $10 worth of cheap fruit & vegetables every week from Artrips Market & staying with my friend's family for 8 months while she was off at college. I bought a 1988 Volvo & was on my way. But what I didn't have was a TV, a cell phone, furniture, money or a hot social life there for awhile. But my mental state was always positive & I worked hard & saved money, didn't go into debt & by the time I was 21 I upgraded to a nice Land Rover that I paid for myself & bought a house by myself at 22. I beat the odds & no one ever would have thought that when I was essentially homeless just a few years before that I would be able to do all of that on my own. So it can be done, you still can be successful, but you have a lot of struggles & dark days ahead of you if you move out on your own so you need to ask yourself what your motivation is & how bad you want it because I don't think love would have been enough to get me through that. My motivation was that I had to make it because I didn't have any alternatives.

Just food for thought.

Courtney

I think u went way over for the gas for our cars... if we move into the apartment I want its going to be 2 miles up the road to BOTH our work and 15 mins to school which we both will be taking online classes mostly and only going to school twice a week. we are both going to try to take an act prep class to boost our act score... which will help us out with grants and all. also we have some money to fall back on with student loans.

we will be saving up money for 5 months before we move and probably have $4000-$4500 saved up between the 2 of us.. and taxes for my work is about 10 bucks out of my 2 week pay check.

Gas is going to be going up here in the summer to $5 a gallon (what I hear) but still we are so close... I think its going to be hard in the beginning but we are both looking at becoming managers at our jobs which will help us out greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
^$40 a week for gas seemed pretty modest to me, especially if it goes as high as $5 But you already have a car & so does she so no one knows but you how much I overestimated your gas consumption. I gave it a go, you're going to do what you're going to do & I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Courtney

Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
^$40 a week for gas seemed pretty modest to me, especially if it goes as high as $5 But you already have a car & so does she so no one knows but you how much I overestimated your gas consumption. I gave it a go, you're going to do what you're going to do & I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Courtney

lol you said $320 a month xD... even if u put down $40 a week (thats how much I pay at the moment and I live 35 mins from work) that would only come up to $160 a month.. maybe a typo? :P

Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
bluesky was saying $40 a week EACH = $160 x 2...
your running 2 cars so you have to take into account gas budget for BOTH vehicles...

being close to amenities is great and will help lower your gas budget, but rememebr your going to have to budget in any running back and forth to grocery stores, social time, ect as well...

id presonally budget $25 a week per car minimum, thats 5 gallons of gas per week if the gas prices hit the $5 mark (which i wouldnt be suprised at) assuming an average milage of around 21mpg round town thats 100miles per week.

if youve got the savings and done your math and realy want this thats great, but remember, things can change, jobs arent permminent EVER and unfortunatly relationships arnt essicarily perminent either...
make sure you can carry the rent and utlilites on your own for a few months should something happen and look for a short term lease/rental as a just in case.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
bluesky was saying $40 a week EACH = $160 x 2...
your running 2 cars so you have to take into account gas budget for BOTH vehicles...
^What she said

Thanks Foxy! We were budgeting for 2 so obviously I calculated for 2.

Courtney

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM

369 posts, read 942,376 times
go for a no contract cell service like page plus, straight talk, pure talk, virgin etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,578 times
I went without cable for the first 6 months living here...it wasn't as hard as I thought. Rent redbox DVDs if you need a fix.
Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,103 times
we have four kids ages 19-26 and none of them have cable right now. they say they don't miss it at all because they can watch so much online if they really want to.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
cable/dish itslef is not as important as many in our age group seem to think it is...

internet kind of makes cable tv obsoleete at this point lol.
a word on the 'pay as you go" phones...
ive been checking them out, dont know if they're cheaper in tn but they dont have the pay as you go that were around years ago, now, again at least here, you pay your $50+ for your phone and first month with something like 250 mins...it then costs you that a month + any extra minutes you want...
i was looking into it and it works out cheaper for me to get a contract phone with free calling to in network (or a family/frineds plan) than it was for a "pay as you go" or no contract phone...also if you look at the cost per minute, it ends up being double or soetimes more per min for many of the no contract/pay as you go style plans.

so thats definatly somethign to be aware of...
and on the cellphone note, being able to surf the web, unlimited text ect...put serious thought into do you REALY need it...is texting such a big part of your life that you need to add $20+ a month to your bill ect.

i think if you (op) put alot of serious thought into the nessecities...(ie cable, eating out, big brand names ect) you might be able to make this work for you...
but i still feel you need to be able to support the apartment ALONE for a couple of months as a just in case.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
If you're close to school and work, use a bicycle rather than a car for transportation - save gas money big time this way.

Another consideration is that while Tennessee has no state income tax, other taxes are quite high to compensate. Be sure you budget accordingly.

Young love is wonderful, but - (sorry to have to include that "but"!) you are both young and will grow and mature and change during your college years. In a couple of years, you may find that you are very different from one another and that your life-goals have changed and are no longer compatible. Don't get so tightly involved with one another via co-housing, etc. that a later unanticipated breakup causes both of you or either or you more pain and difficulty than it unavoidably must.

Best wishes to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville