Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,553,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbstar View Post
Yeah I love this too. I didn't realize WC schools were still lackluster from a national perspective. Everyone talks about them as if they're the bee's knees.

I also figured you'd have more 16 year old brats driving around in BMWs in West End than in Franklin. Maybe I was wrong?

One thing you bring to light that hasn't been discussed… the whole keeping up with the Jones' thing (anyone seen the movie?). I sense this is more of an issue in the burbs where space for crap is more plentiful. Bigger boats, faster cars, cooler riding mowers, blah blah blah puke. I have this cynical picture of the burbs (particularly the McMansion planned community areas) where folks are just trying to keep up the pretense of a perfect life while dying from the inside out. I'd love some insight here without going off the rails.

Perhaps a less incendiary way to put this is that I want to live in a community of people who are authentic and who generally don't define their worth through the accumulation of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love my toys, but they mean nothing if the more important parts of my life aren't in order.
WCS are lackluster from a national perspective. Our title 1 school had better/more dynamic learning modules and extras like foreign language instruction and musical instrument instruction starting in 3rd (strings) 4th (band)

The families that stay in Nashville either have money or grandparents with money. The thought of putting 4 kids through private school K-12 makes me cry since most of the schools are $14K+ if you don't win the magnet school lottery. Getting into the private school isn't exactly easy either. There are way more kids than slots.

We are doing public elementary and private middle/high school and hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
I think the same generalizations could be brought forth to describe so-called "artsy" communities where "everyone" supposedly embraces each other's differences while walking in their scarves and fedoras to the globally conscious coffee shop where they sit and tap away on their Macs.

It's not accurate, and it's not fair.

It's difficult to sit as an educated, creative person and read broad dismissals of my chosen community, Brentwood. There are a-holes everywhere. You have to choose which type of a-hole you can tolerate the best, but the only way to do that is through actual experience with people in the area as opposed to stereotyping.

Yes, a forum like this lends itself to stereotyping because we all type our OPINIONS here, but I try not to comment on areas I don't know about because I don't know about them.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM

17 posts, read 29,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
WCS are lackluster from a national perspective. Our title 1 school had better/more dynamic learning modules and extras like foreign language instruction and musical instrument instruction starting in 3rd (strings) 4th (band)

The families that stay in Nashville either have money or grandparents with money. The thought of putting 4 kids through private school K-12 makes me cry since most of the schools are $14K+ if you don't win the magnet school lottery. Getting into the private school isn't exactly easy either. There are way more kids than slots.

We are doing public elementary and private middle/high school and hoping for the best.
You're making me want to stay in California.

At $15k/year on average, each kid is gonna run $195k to do K-12. You have four kids? That'll be $800k please, after taxes. And then another wad for college.

Sob.

This country is broken.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM

17 posts, read 29,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think the same generalizations could be brought forth to describe so-called "artsy" communities where "everyone" supposedly embraces each other's differences while walking in their scarves and fedoras to the globally conscious coffee shop where they sit and tap away on their Macs.
hehe, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4life
It's difficult to sit as an educated, creative person and read broad dismissals of my chosen community, Brentwood.
I haven't read anything yet that broadly dismisses Brentwood… I still remain quite interested in it, at least longer term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4life
There are a-holes everywhere. You have to choose which type of a-hole you can tolerate the best…
So true.

I'm not eager to start a flame war; I was genuinely curious whether certain suburb communities have more of a "keeping up with the Jones'" culture than others.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM

126 posts, read 327,436 times
I am laughing at this..I have never seen anyone in a fedora and scarve..but I would like to

To be fair..All TN schools are lackluster by national comparisons..not just Williamson County. If you HAVE to move to TN and schools are important then you would want to consider Williamson Co as an option..

I do know what I am talking about..I have lived in this state a long time and have lived in Williamson County..People there do value their " things " and what their money can buy..not that this is bad but it just is..it does not mean they don't value family but they do think there is a bit of prestige that comes with living there..and entitlement as do their kids..NOT everyone but most.

As far as the " artsy " communities go..well, yea there is a different type of arrogance there as well..and you have the " hipster " scenester " crowd to deal with. What is different is that people are more laid back and tolerant to all and it seems that people of all colors, economic situations, religions, etc..mix better.

West End, Vandy..You have a lot of " old money "..very smart people, young professionals of all ethnicities and faiths, large Jewish population. It is pretty expensive over there. It is a different type of vibe..but friendly.

It is all a trade off in what is important to the individual and no one person can have everything they want..No poster on this forum is wrong really if they are happy where they are..right?

We have a special needs child and education is first and foremost to us so bluntly we think Nashville sucks. sorry even though he goes to highest rated Nashville Elementary school ...for other parents they are in heaven.

There are some awesome Magnet schools..I suggest researching them and then researching the surrounding area..if your child is not even school age..the lottery may not be that scary.

BTW,

We are moving to CA..

Peace..and keep it real

Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,737,946 times
Here's 7 pages of school discussion from earlier this year, with varying opinions on the local disticts and how they compare nationally:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...omparison.html

Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,351,815 times
Quote:
Yeah I love this too. I didn't realize WC schools were still lackluster from a national perspective. Everyone talks about them as if they're the bee's knees.
I can't speak from a national perspective, but education is pretty much what you get out of it. If your children do well in Williamson County Schools (and preform well on the SAT or ACT) then they shouldn't have any problem getting into a good college. Honestly, the standardized tests will probably do more for getting your kids in good colleges than GPA alone. School standards vary from community to community...the SAT and ACT don't. Plus, you have a really long time before you're going to be preparing them for college. Things could change by then...and who knows, your job might take you elsewhere. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Putting your kids through Metro schools for elementary isn't going to scar them for life, either. A lot of them are actually pretty darn good schools with great teachers. I think it becomes more of an issue with middle and high school.

So...I wouldn't worry about having everything in line for a perfect situation for a move...you've got years to decide on what the best course of action will be. Nothing is set in stone, really.

Quote:
I also figured you'd have more 16 year old brats driving around in BMWs in West End than in Franklin. Maybe I was wrong?
Honestly...it's probably about the same. I see examples of frugality and gross overindulgence in both areas. The only reason you might see more 16 year old brats driving around Brentwood/Franklin is because more of them live there than West End/Green Hills. I don't think either is any more vain or image-obsessed than the other...or any other wealthy suburb for that matter.

Quote:
One thing you bring to light that hasn't been discussed… the whole keeping up with the Jones' thing (anyone seen the movie?). I sense this is more of an issue in the burbs where space for crap is more plentiful. Bigger boats, faster cars, cooler riding mowers, blah blah blah puke. I have this cynical picture of the burbs (particularly the McMansion planned community areas) where folks are just trying to keep up the pretense of a perfect life while dying from the inside out. I'd love some insight here without going off the rails.
To continue from the above...I think WC might be guiltier of the bigger, better, faster flashy sort of stuff, because, like you said, more space to store it. That doesn't mean that your neighbor in West End doesn't have a private jet or a 40 ft boat in an marina across town.

Honestly, I wouldn't let that type of thing bother me, though. If some of your neighbors have bigger, flashier stuff, but you're more sound financially...guess what, you win. They won't be so proud when their house gets foreclosed.

Quote:
Perhaps a less incendiary way to put this is that I want to live in a community of people who are authentic and who generally don't define their worth through the accumulation of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love my toys, but they mean nothing if the more important parts of my life aren't in order.
In my opinion, I think moving to a more modest looking neighborhood in town -- outside of pricey Green Hills or West End -- might suit you best (at least until you've had some time to get to know the people and the attitudes of the area). You could also look in the older sections of Brentwood and Franklin (which will have much larger lots, but much less interesting houses), too.

Not everyone living in the newer McMansiony homes in Brentwood/Franklin, or in the expensively renovated homes off of West End is materialistic and fake. Not at all. But I think you're more likely to encounter it than you will in say, 12th South, Belmont, or Melrose.

**sidenote** Take a look at the area around Lealand Ln area south of Woodmont Blvd, and north of Battery Ln. (near Lipscomb University). Beautiful, quiet area that's not quite so expensive as neighboring Green Hills or Oak Hill. Smaller houses, but well kept, and decent sized yards.

Quote:

It's not accurate, and it's not fair.

It's difficult to sit as an educated, creative person and read broad dismissals of my chosen community, Brentwood. There are a-holes everywhere. You have to choose which type of a-hole you can tolerate the best, but the only way to do that is through actual experience with people in the area as opposed to stereotyping.

Yes, a forum like this lends itself to stereotyping because we all type our OPINIONS here, but I try not to comment on areas I don't know about because I don't know about them.
You bring up some great points, and are right on the money. Brentwood isn't as bad as some like to put it...and no less accepting or open-minded than any other area of Nashville IMO.

Quote:
You're making me want to stay in California.

At $15k/year on average, each kid is gonna run $195k to do K-12. You have four kids? That'll be $800k please, after taxes. And then another wad for college.

Sob.

This country is broken.
I don't think K-12 private school is necessary. Perhaps high school, if you think it's necessary. I went to a private high school, but public (Metro Nashville) K-8. It didn't ruin me. In fact, it gave me a better perspective on people with diverse backgrounds, as opposed to some of my friends (in high school) that seemed rather sheltered.

There's some value in the non-classroom education IMO.

As for the statement in bold -- absolutely.

Carefully think about your move. You've gotten some opinions from this forum...research things some more on your own. If it feels like the right move for you, go for it.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
I am laughing at this..I have never seen anyone in a fedora and scarve..but I would like to
That's my point. They're all stereotypes. Not real.

Some people in Brentwood drive paid-for, 12-year-old minivans; some people in East Nash are bankers.

After all the time and effort we put into making a move like the one the OP is considering, we all become NIMBYs to some extent. We want to make sure the choice we make will be safe for as long as possible.

I think Hubbstar is tempted by the suburbs because there seem to be fewer problems but doesn't want to feel like he's selling his soul. I personally think that while you're young and your kids are young, you should try the neighborhoods around the universities like the ones mentioned above. Don't pay for private school in elementary. You won't need it in either county.
There's plenty of time left to move to the burbs. And I'm telling you, you'll find people you like in both areas.
IMHO

Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,351,815 times
Quote:
I think Hubbstar is tempted by the suburbs because there seem to be fewer problems but doesn't want to feel like he's selling his soul. I personally think that while you're young and your kids are young, you should try the neighborhoods around the universities like the ones mentioned above. Don't pay for private school in elementary. You won't need it in either county.
There's plenty of time left to move to the burbs. And I'm telling you, you'll find people you like in both areas.
IMHO
This is pretty much my exact sentiment. If he chooses to move his family here, he doesn't have to decide on an ultimate location right away. He'll have plenty of time to find what location suits his and his family's needs afterwards. None of the places he's looking are slummy or crime-ridden. Based on some of his answers, I really don't feel like he's going have a hard time fitting in wherever he chooses. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy...I hope we can just keep this conversation civil enough to let him weigh the options. We're not the ones moving.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

126 posts, read 327,436 times
Quote:
That's my point. They're all stereotypes. Not real.

Some people in Brentwood drive paid-for, 12-year-old minivans; some people in East Nash are bankers.

After all the time and effort we put into making a move like the one the OP is considering, we all become NIMBYs to some extent. We want to make sure the choice we make will be safe for as long as possible.

IMHO
Yes, but they are driving the 12 year old mini vans in Brentwood because they wanted to buy a house they could not afford just to live in Brentwood and have their kids go to School in Brentwood right? Not that there is anything wrong with that..My neighbor is a banker, a mortgage broker..what is your point? that he has money? he does not..He is a really cool guy though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville