Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

I have Netflix on my iPad and have been catching up on movies. Wondering about movies either filmed or set in Nashville? Besides the obvious "Nashville"? Could even be ABOUT Nashville, or TN but not actually filmed here. I like history. Maybe there are some good PBS films about the Civil War?

Also, books. Widow of the South was a great introduction. Any other books that 'feel' like Nashville?

Having moved here later in life, in order to get more flavor (besides SWEET TEA which I still have not sampled) for the area I thought it would be a good summer for a literary and cinematic Nashvillian (and TN in general) culture immersion!

(Besides, it's still too darn hot to mulch . . . )

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
The Thing Called Love (93). A cute film about a girl moving to Nashville to be a singer.

Country Strong, a film that came out maybe last year with Gwyneth Paltrow. I haven't seen it though.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
There have been a handful of movies shot in Nashville, but not very many (to my knowledge) that are set here, aside from the ones viva mentioned.

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Nashville, Tennessee, USA"

There's a list of the movies that have had scenes shot in Nashville. Of course that includes minor scenes, too.

The old Tennessee State Penitentiary has been used a number of times...notably for The Green Mile and The Last Castle.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Movies: Starman; Walk the Line; The Cradle Will Fall (TV movie); Country Strong; Nashville 99 (aka Stoney) television series in the late 1970s; skyline shots in Roadtrip; Marie; A Death in the Family; Sweet Dreams; All the Ernest movies; At Close Range; Last Dance; The Green Mile; and of course Nashville.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
A ton of scenes in Coal Miner's Daughter were filmed in Nashville, and all the scenes of Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones driving around the WSM radio tower were filmed on the old two-lane (pre-growth) Concord Road and Knox Valley Drive in Brentwood in 1978-79.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 AM

228 posts, read 528,434 times
Not sure if this is what you mean, but the ‘Nashville: The 20th Century in Photographs’ from NPT special is fantastic. Here is the link:
http://www.wnpt.org/productions/memories/photos/index.html

Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
You'll run into lots of people who were extras in Coal Miner's Daughter, including yours truly. I played an expectant father in a hospital waiting room with Tommy Lee Jones. It was the only time I've ever shaved my moustache...and they cut the scene. So much for greatness.

Kevin, I'm glad you found that link. I was looking for it last night, but got distracted. You're right, absolutely amazing for those who want to really know Nashville, from its soul, inside out.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 AM

228 posts, read 528,434 times
@IngleDave First, that's an awesome story LOL (sorry) and second, loved that series and enjoyed learning more about the local history of Nashville through those photographs.

And I forgot to mention, @CountryGirl2b= YOU HAVEN'T TRIED SWEET TEA??!? Is there not a forum rule against this sort of nonsense??!? Outraged ;-)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Movies: Starman.
The scene where the tractor trailer blows up was filmed essentially where Skyline Medical Center is today. Before Briley Pkwy was a continuous loop, it basically dead-ended right before Dickerson Road. That's where that scene was filmed.

Kevin is right...PBS has produced some great Nashville documentaries. Seems like every year they come out with something new in the "Memories of..." series. Last year was Memories of Opryland, a few years before it was Memories of Downtown Nashville. It is very interesting to see old photos of the city and how different things are today.

I'd also suggest visiting the 2nd Floor of the Downtown Library. They usually have an interesting photo exhibit from the city's past. The photo archives of the Nashville Banner (the once prominent, now defunct evening newspaper) are at the Downtown Library so they have a plethora of interesting photos to show. It also gives you an excuse to explore the awesomeness that is the Downtown Library.

Recently a Civil War diary of a young Nashvillian named Maggie Vaulx was released (though I don't think it's been published) that sounds very interesting. There was an article on the Tennessean about it, but now all I can find is a cached version of it here.

Also, a literati person should be interested in visiting the annual Southern Festival of Books (http://www.humanitiestennessee.org/festival/ - broken link) in October. I've yet to go myself...every year I say I will but never do. Same goes for the Nashville Film Festival.

And yes, you really need to try genuine sweet tea. Not fast food sweet tea, but real, gen-u-ine sweet tea.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Cecelia Tishy has a series that takes place in Nashville. They aren't great books, but they do very much relate to Nashville. Even when the characters are going from place to place, it mentions the street names and parts of town- which would have made the book really tedious if I was from another city. The main character moved from New England to Nashville at the start of the series, so they might be interesting since she is just discovering Nashville also.

Here is a link to a list of books set in Nashville, including the ones by Tishy:
"Novels Set in Nashville" by nashvillepubliclibrary [WorldCat.org]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville