Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times

Advertisements

I don't think people here would even blink at your family makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 23,850 times
Default Yes

Absolutely, much more than almost anywhere else, no matter what anyone says here. I have lived here (from LA) for 15 years and I see interracial couples ALL the time perfectly adjusted to life her. There's lots of diversity.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Thank yall, i grew up in suburban neighborhoods of charleston sc, dallas tx,where my family was the only black family, so i m comfortable in that environment. we just look for good neighbors-i know they may not want to be friends, thats ok i respect that, we are looking for nice tree lined streets, good private schools,(though i love going to public hs football games), golf courses, good libraries, parks, decent shopping areas though not necessarily malls, and a good baptist church. It could be within the city, an older part of town with historic homes or bungalows, or in a traditional suburb.
A lot of the tree lined streets are going to be in the more established areas. Some new construction neighborhoods have made an effort to plant trees, but I think in general you'll be looking for an area that was developed before the 1990s. West Meade is an area that comes to mind for me that is full of nice, large trees. A lot of the houses are ranch style...but the neighborhood is mature and it has a nice bit of tree coverage.

As for some of the other criteria...I think Davidson County would fit a lot of what you are looking for. Plenty of private schools to choose from, a number of both public and private golf courses, a more extensive library system than the other counties (obviously because the county has a lot more people), and quite a few shopping districts. This region has a lot of Baptist churches, so that won't be hard to find anywhere (quick question...Southern Baptist or First Baptist? The vast majority here are Southern Baptist). If you like older development with historic homes, definitely check out some of the neighborhoods that goodman mentioned. Each has their pros and cons...but I think there's enough to offer in that department where you should at least find some middle ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
I'm not sure what you were implying by misusing the word "Racist" but maybe you were trying to refer to "racially offensive" behavior.
I wasn't referring to you with that comment. More pointed at the poster who suggested that all of Nashville is judgmental. Perhaps racist isn't the right term...but it seems to me everyone's definition of racist is a little different. Some would consider racially offensive behavior to be racist. I'm just saying that just because an area is predominately made up of one race doesn't mean it's full of racists. I think you read a bit too much into that.

Quote:
Things can appear as they're not, there is the pretending to be accepting in order to appear politically correct.
True, but that can be applied to any area of town and any political ideology.

Quote:
Franklin I'm sure would be a good fit, but I still can't understand whenever these type of threads come up why Hendersonville is always mentioned so quickly? In this regard it's not any better than Mt. Juliet.
Is there something wrong with Mount Juliet?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM

215 posts, read 682,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Is there something wrong with Mount Juliet?
Not that I know of, but maybe I was getting too worried.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Thank yall, i grew up in suburban neighborhoods of charleston sc, dallas tx,where my family was the only black family, so i m comfortable in that environment. we just look for good neighbors-i know they may not want to be friends, thats ok i respect that, we are looking for nice tree lined streets, good private schools,(though i love going to public hs football games), golf courses, good libraries, parks, decent shopping areas though not necessarily malls, and a good baptist church. It could be within the city, an older part of town with historic homes or bungalows, or in a traditional suburb.
I agree that you won't have any/many issues at all. I think you'd be fine in any number of suburbs around town. Ideologically speaking, the counties around Davidson County/Nashville tend to be more conservative but are not exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. Looking at your list of things you want I think you can find all of that in places like Hendersonville, Franklin, Brentwood, Bellevue...really anywhere mentioned by others.

This area is sometimes called the "buckle of the Bible Belt" for good reason...there are lots of churches all around and many, many Baptist churches. Small ones all the way up to megachurches. The megachurches are scattered throughout town so really wherever you settle you won't be too far away. In Hendersonville alone, there is Long Hollow Baptist and First Baptist that are "mega" sized and a number of "almost mega" Baptist churches as well.

In any case, I think you'd be comfortable in a number of spots in the area and the best way to find out what works is to just visit and try to live like a local for a week or so.

Let us know if we can help guide you.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM

210 posts, read 587,970 times
Hummm...i grew up in the burbs of Nashville (franklin/brentwood) and the only reason i might give a second glance to your family is because y'all are unique!
I know plenty of interracial couples around here. Black-white, White-Asian, Black-Asian...all kinds. Not to mention the fact that if you are out an about in town (the burbs) you are most likely going to see at least one family a day with an adopted child of another race, and no one even bats an eye at something like that as "strange".
Good people make good neighbors and good friends... that's all any of us care about really

Don't Listen to BP300...never a positive word from that one. :/

Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 AM

21 posts, read 54,299 times
I want to thank you all for such great assistance and advice, Nashville sounds wonderful. I know all places have issues, Im a southerner and know that times have changed a great bit, I guess i am a overly cautious, i am with the north as well.

those neighborhoods sound great, oh for the person asking about what sort of baptist that is (Independent Fundamental Baptist) one of our colleges is Tennessee Temple.

I will check out davidson county and all the other ones as well. we have about 9 months before we move from Portland Oregon.

oh another question, any smaller colleges around the area? my wife is a college professor and looking for part time work. also have a child who will be looking at pre school for next fall, so we will need to check out christian schools in the area.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack66 View Post
oh another question, any smaller colleges around the area? my wife is a college professor and looking for part time work. also have a child who will be looking at pre school for next fall, so we will need to check out christian schools in the area.
Lots of colleges in this area. One of Nashville's nicknames is the Athens of the South due to high per capita ratio of colleges/overall population. Here is a list of colleges and universities in the area. Keep in mind some of the religious-based universities have requirements that the faculty be members of a certain denomination, etc.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Lots of colleges in this area. One of Nashville's nicknames is the Athens of the South due to high per capita ratio of colleges/overall population. Here is a list of colleges and universities in the area. Keep in mind some of the religious-based universities have requirements that the faculty be members of a certain denomination, etc.
wow thanks, I am very familiar with Vanderbilt, Meharry (my grandfather went to med school there), University of the South. I will have to check to see if the Christian schools are Fundamentalist like we are or non denominational. my wife has taught at catholic colleges too, so that might be a fit

Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
how is williamson county? i heard it was a conservative county which is great for us, but not sure if it is too far out or too rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville