Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Keep out of Antioch for sure. It is crime ridden and full of gangs. The mall and several commercial buildings all closed down. Try nicer similarly priced areas such as Smyrna, Nolensville, and Cane Ridge. They are high growth areas, very close to Nashville and will offer you the most bang for your buck.

Shakeesha... Really? Really??? Post accurate information next time please.. Btw, Cane Ridge is Antioch, 37013...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Just to clear something up: the mall has been sold to a new owner, and has been rebranded as the Global Mall at the Crossings ('Hickory Hollow' was probably just too toxic of a name to overcome from a marketing perspective).

I have yet to go since the 'new' mall opened, but I have heard that currently the offerings are small. However, there is some pretty significant investment from Metro that could change that.

One is a 30,000 sq ft public library branch:
New Southeast Branch Construction - Nashville Public Library

Another is Nashville State opening a branch in the former Dillard's location.

And perhaps the most promising is the new 86,000 sq ft Nashville Predators ice rink and practice facility that is currently under construction:
Hockey Rink Part Of Plan For Global Mall At The Crossings - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

I'm not going to attempt to change people's perceptions of the area, but pointing out that the mall and several commercial buildings have closed, but not mentioning the new development/investment in the area is a little disingenuous. If you were unaware of the happenings with the mall, then I apologize.

As for Smyrna, Nolensville, and Cane Ridge...all three are pretty different.

Smyrna is a pretty large suburb, with a good amount of stand-alone amenities. In my view, it is largely blue collar...solidly middle class. Decent schools. Pretty established community identity. Smyrna is in the interesting spot of not being Antioch or La Vergne, but being more convenient than Murfreesboro or Nolensville.

Nolensville is a small, but rapidly growing town with a mix of 'old' middle class and new upper middle class (Williamson County effect). It's an area where development and property values are starting to explode. I think it will quickly become Brentwood/Franklin Jr. Median household income is already $100,000...!

Cane Ridge is Antioch South. The name has been emphasized because, frankly, people are afraid of being labeled as "Antioch". It is a separate community, but mostly shares the same zip code. I'm not completely sure what to think of Cane Ridge right now...there are a lot of variables, as that is an area with a lot of land to develop. The type of new development there will likely determine the direction of the community.
As far as the name change to Cane Ridge, well it actually wasn't a change because Cane Ridge is the historic name of the area, but it was very, very few older residents who wanted to have the name spotlighted as to not be associated with the name Antioch, which at the time was getting negative press, mostly untrue...However, a few years later, with the help of new leadership and community organization, those people along with others in Antioch, caught on to what was really going on and have started a re-branding of the entire area to what we know it really is.

HCA and Assurion will also be opening up in the area along with Nashville State and the Predators that you already mentioned.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
As far as the name change to Cane Ridge, well it actually wasn't a change because Cane Ridge is the historic name of the area, but it was very, very few older residents who wanted to have the name spotlighted as to not be associated with the name Antioch, which at the time was getting negative press, mostly untrue...However, a few years later, with the help of new leadership and community organization, those people along with others in Antioch, caught on to what was really going on and have started a re-branding of the entire area to what we know it really is.

HCA and Assurion will also be opening up in the area along with Nashville State and the Predators that you already mentioned.
I realize that Cane Ridge is a historic name...but it's usage was virtually unknown (outside the area) until recently. There are plenty of areas of town with historic names that are no longer in common usage, or known outside of a small area.

I suppose part of the reason that was done is also because geographically, Antioch is a very large area, and the name sort of 'took over' other adjacent communities (not unlike Donelson, Madison, Hermitage, and Bellevue).

And yes, HCA and Asurion are also two notable gets for the area.

Antioch is in a state of flux...and hopefully the new investment will give a good pull in the tug of war battle of perception in the area...but as of right now, I wouldn't suggest a new transplant with almost zero knowledge of the Nashville area, move to that location. I would leave that for more experienced residents with the savvy to know which areas are safe or poised for a turnaround.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
I would avoid Antioch and Rutherford County for one reason and one reason alone: Traffic.

You want a reasonable commute? I-24 into and out of Nashville during the mornings and afternoons is an absolute disaster, as far as Nashville traffic goes. I'd NEVER live in that direction if I worked in Nashville.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
The HCA facility being opened in Antioch is a data center - a huge building with lots of servers but very few people working there. The impact on Antioch will be minimal in spite of the 10's of millions spent building the facility out. I am not sure how that is a win for Antioch, they built there because the land was cheap...

Having said that, I agree with Antioch the forum member, that Antioch the area is not nearly as bad as it's reputation. I've never felt unsafe there and I don't think it is nearly as dangerous as areas like Donelson or Madison. My problem with Antioch is that large parts of it look run down and not well maintained. The property appearance and the schools are what negatively affects the property values out there more than an undeserved reputation for being unsafe.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Dangerous areas like Donelson? Not the hood I would've picked for my example.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
I'll have to defend Donelson as well. There are a lot of young familes moving into the area because of it's proximity to downtown/easy commute. They also like the ranch style houses on bigger lots in neighborhoods with more character than the newer suburban developments. It's definitly an area on the upswing (although I don't think it was ever bad).

Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
It's certainly possible that I am drunk...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
It's certainly possible that I am drunk...
It's OK, it's Friday night

Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM

Damn you early starters. I just got home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville