Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Reality: crime is NOT equal in all parts of town

Link: http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/S...lDistricct.pdf

Link: http://spotcrime.com/tn/nashville

Link:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I made absolutely no (cough-cough) "blanket statements" about any specific part of Davidson County.

This was simply a posting to three reliable sources of crime data in Davidson County including one from Metro Nashville Davidson County government itself. Again, it contains no statements about any one specific part of town - nothing negative, nor neutral, nor blindly loyal rah-rah cheerleading. This way people can analyze the accurate unbiased reliable data and decided individually how they feel about what they read and comprehend.

Same would apply to THIS:
From Best Places . Net

---> quote:

"Antioch (zip 37013), TN, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 100, is 56. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 41.4."

"Antioch (zip 37013), TN, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 100, is 54. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 43.5."

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 4,508 times
I grew up in Murfreesboro and there is NOT a lot of crime there. There is one or two (maybe) bad areas which are easily avoidable.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM

82 posts, read 88,371 times
Fwiw, I experienced significantly more crime and problems living in Murfreesboro as a college student than I ever have in antioch throughout my life. I'm almost 23 and have lived in Nashville my entire life and if I could suggest an area to avoid in Nashville, it would actually be Murfreesboro.

I live off of west end avenue in midtown but drive multiple times a week to the Antioch area for food. I find most of the dining options in the urban core 'meh' in comparison to a lot of options outside of the core. This rings true on the west side for me too. I usually go the 4500+ block of Charlotte for food as well.

In Nashville, I've lived in a 10 bedroom house in green hills, a 3 bedroom house in hendersonville, a duplex in hendersonville, a couple of apartments in antioch, a few apartments in Murfreesboro, a house in Murfreesboro and now stay in midtown. I've also spent lots of time in Mt. Juliet, Madison, Inglewood, and the rest of Nashville I haven't mentioned. I almost prefer Antioch to the nicer suburbs sometimes because the people are more down to earth. Some people complain about crime issues but really, I find that the entitled wealthy people of south Nashville, and the old, close to death people of Hendersonville to be much more annoying to deal with. I can't drive in any of the nice parts of town without having some 30-something awhole in a cheap bmw tailgating me or getting stuck behind some lost tourist that has 'nevurr bin to thuh big sittyy"

Nashville has changed so much in the last 20 years though and some things are hard for me to explain to people from out of town. One big issue that has caused me to be moving next month is how packed the city is. People use to be friendly and out and about but the city was easy to traverse. Now, driving anywhere in the city is a pain the ass during M-F business hours and since I live in a dense neighborhood, it's not avoidable at any time.

Last edited by SunshineDreams; 06-30-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 PM

"Safe" is a relative term anymore. Antioch is more safe than when the former mall was in it's dying days and became a haven for gangs and drugs and crime. It's more safe than the projects people call "Dodge City." It's still less safe than a number of other places. The crime rate is a bit higher than the national average according to a reliable source but there are small towns (such as Crossville) that are rated as surprisingly more dangerous for both violent and property related crime.

See... it's all relative.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
"Safe" is a relative term anymore. Antioch is more safe than when the former mall was in it's dying days and became a haven for gangs and drugs and crime. It's more safe than the projects people call "Dodge City." It's still less safe than a number of other places. The crime rate is a bit higher than the national average according to a reliable source but there are small towns (such as Crossville) that are rated as surprisingly more dangerous for both violent and property related crime.

See... it's all relative.
I agree that it is definitely all relative. I think the examples you give are pretty extreme. There are certain types of places that I would avoid certain types of day (such as convenience stores at dark) that I would avoid in parts of Antioch. But still not everywhere. People have been mugged in broad daylight in Green Hills and Brentwood, too. Paying attention to your surroundings plays some part. I've felt perfectly safe getting gas or stopping at a store in places that some would consider "ghetto", but I was aware of my surroundings and there were plenty of other people in those places (I would avoid them certain times of day).

You can be a victim in a number of places aside from Antioch or anywhere else that is considered dangerous by some if you look like a good target. I'm a tall, large male. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I agree that it is definitely all relative. I think the examples you give are pretty extreme. There are certain types of places that I would avoid certain types of day (such as convenience stores at dark) that I would avoid in parts of Antioch. But still not everywhere. People have been mugged in broad daylight in Green Hills and Brentwood, too. Paying attention to your surroundings plays some part. I've felt perfectly safe getting gas or stopping at a store in places that some would consider "ghetto", but I was aware of my surroundings and there were plenty of other people in those places (I would avoid them certain times of day).

You can be a victim in a number of places aside from Antioch or anywhere else that is considered dangerous by some if you look like a good target. I'm a tall, large male. Your mileage may vary.
OK, I'm looking at crime mapping dot com (for the last week) right now for Brentwood. There was one bust for a white collar crime in Maryland Farms office park. One DUI. One assault in the "brentioch" area. One break-in and one theft reported from a commercial or office building. Nothing else.

In Antioch for the same time frame:
17 assaults (if you include the Nashboro Village side of it), 2 drug busts, 3 vehicle thefts or break-ins, a misc. robbery, a couple of more break-ins, 2 fraud busts, a DUI, and 2 vandalisms.

Not exactly the same thing.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times
Some will never get it...But have any of you been to the Ford Ice Center or Nashville Community State Community College southeast location, or taken a fitness class outside at the park in front of the Southeast Community Center? If so, or if not, you do realize it's at the same place where Hickory Hollow was, and still is with s different name.... Where are all the so called gangs, drugs and crime now??? I mean it's all still there with people from all over coming and enjoying themselves at the ice skating rink, right here in Antioch.
I've mentioned this before and will mention again, the owners of CBL wanted to set the mall up and the area of Antioch up for failure by placing nothing but ghetto type stores in the mall and raising rent sky high for tenants that had been in there already for years forcing them to close and offended low to no rent for the new tenants they wanted to move in. The type stores they had in the mall attracted ghetto type people from all over the Nashville area, which some considered gangs I guess because they were black... Anyways, the people of Antioch did not choose to have those type stores in the mall at all, we felt set up because CBL didn't care, same thing happened at Rivergate... We are more than happy they are go and took their trash with them, and are happy we have new investors who are building in the area and understanding our vision of Antioch.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Some will never get it...But have any of you been to the Ford Ice Center or Nashville Community State Community College southeast location, or taken a fitness class outside at the park in front of the Southeast Community Center? If so, or if not, you do realize it's at the same place where Hickory Hollow was, and still is with s different name.... Where are all the so called gangs, drugs and crime now??? I mean it's all still there with people from all over coming and enjoying themselves at the ice skating rink, right here in Antioch.
I've mentioned this before and will mention again, the owners of CBL wanted to set the mall up and the area of Antioch up for failure by placing nothing but ghetto type stores in the mall and raising rent sky high for tenants that had been in there already for years forcing them to close and offended low to no rent for the new tenants they wanted to move in. The type stores they had in the mall attracted ghetto type people from all over the Nashville area, which some considered gangs I guess because they were black... Anyways, the people of Antioch did not choose to have those type stores in the mall at all, we felt set up because CBL didn't care, same thing happened at Rivergate... We are more than happy they are go and took their trash with them, and are happy we have new investors who are building in the area and understanding our vision of Antioch.
The mall didn't start out with ghetto stores. It started out with nice stores. We used to shop there when I first moved to Nashville and I even brought my kids to Gymboree classes there. Then slowly the crime started to increase and the nice stores started leaving. We stopped going there at night and then eventually stopped going all together as there were more and more reports of crime in the mall parking lot during the day.

Antioch wasn't "set up." It was given a nice mall with nice tenants, and the crime there ran those stores off. Cool Springs Mall originally wasn't any better than Hickory Hollow, but it continued to get better as Hickory Hollow continued to decline.

I know you want to defend your area, but don't be dishonest about the facts

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 07-03-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The mall didn't start out with ghetto stores. It started out with nice stores. We used to shop there when I first moved to Nashville and I even brought my kids to Gymboree classes there. Then slowly the crime started to increase and the nice stores started leaving. We stopped going there at night and then eventually stopped going all together as there were more and more reports of crime in the mall parking lot during the day.

Antioch wasn't "set up." It was given a nice mall with a Dillard's, a Macy's, etc. and the crime there ran those stores off. Cool Springs Mall originally wasn't any better than Hickory Hollow, but it continued to get better as Hickory Hollow continued to decline.

The real facts... not from a self-appointed shill...

CBL holds interests in, or manages 130 NON-FAILING properties including 79 market-dominant enclosed malls and open-air centers. They haven't stayed in business since 1961 by (cough-cough) "trying to fail." If that part of town became an epic mega-fail for a while with the mall dragging it down and the part of town simultaneously dragging the mall down, it wasn't because of some corporate scapegoat boogie-man just wanting to do poorly for no particular reason. That's pure extract of BS.

But how unbiased and impartial and realistic would you expect a person to be who has the name of the area in question as his/her screen name anyway? And I have been to that area thousands of times for decades upon decades so I know what I'm talking about. It used to be pretty nice. For a while it really went to crap. It's making a comeback but still has some things to work out. Those are the inconvenient reality based observations. When people pass gas in that part of town, rainbows and flower gardens don't fly out of their rear end. It's just an area that had some problems and is trying a comeback from them.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:39 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

Antioch wasn't "set up." It was given a nice mall with nice tenants, and the crime there ran those stores off. Cool Springs Mall originally wasn't any better than Hickory Hollow, but it continued to get better as Hickory Hollow continued to decline.

I used to take my daughter to Gymboree classes there, too. I finally stopped going when the groups of young blacks started consistently walking shoulder to shoulder, blocking the walkways for others & calling me a white honky ***** when I attempted to pass by them in the opposite direction with an infant in a stroller. Oddly enough that kind of stuff never happened at Green Hills or Cool Springs. Was also advised by an employee of a chain store (obviously no longer there) to shop early in the morning before the 'gang bangers' got up. This was from someone who in the unfortunate position of working at HH full time just as it started its descent. That mall wasn't set up to fail - it was drug down by people with chips on their shoulders & nothing better to do with their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville