Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 06:01 AM

78 posts, read 930,216 times

Advertisements

We have been here on two occasions, considering to permanently relocate here but each time have found it is difficult, if not impossible, to find a nice house to rent (we can't buy right now) with bad credit. It seems that everyone does a credit check and finding a house, that you like, in an area that is not 45 miles away from downtown is quite a challenge. Anybody else have this problem? What did you do? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
apartment complex

Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 AM

16 posts, read 95,511 times
I'm kinda in the same situation as well...

I concerned that if I try to rent an apartment/room because they might do credit checks and possibly decline me because of having bad credit. I can make the payments and put down the deposit but do property management/landlords really care if my credit is bad?

Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 AM

you have to look at it from a landlord's perspective: he/she doesn't want a deadbeat in his property who could take a while to evict/damage the place etc...I have friends who rent properties and they've been stuck with giving a deadbeat free rent for a period of time during eviction, etc...you might be able to get by if you pay rent a few months in advance or something like that...

Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 AM

78 posts, read 930,216 times
Here's the deal, Scott V. Some good people who would actually pay their rent on time, have had difficulties in the past and have ended up with poor credit. Ultimately, when that happens you end up paying a higher rate on EVERYTHING. Its like businesses/creditors penalize you for having bad credit and make it even MORE difficult to ever come out of the situation. Its a vicious cycle. But just because someone has bad credit doesn't automatically mean that they are bad people or that they will end up being evicted. Its just frustrating because it is definitely more difficult to rent from an apartment complex or realtor because you know going in that they are going to run your credit and more than likely turn you down and then you still without a place to live and also the $50 it cost to apply. The only hope for people like myself who have ran into hard times, is to hopefully find an individual who is lenient in that respect and willing to give people a second chance. There are just not enough people like that out there, particularly in Nashville. I have found that most homes in Nashville are through a realtor or require a credit check...so that knocks us out immediately. We don't even pursue those homes and that really doesn't leave anything left. We have two children and we would really like to give them a nice home but people who insist on holding the past against someone for years makes it an almost impossible task finding a home....especially in Nashville.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 PM

have you tried craigslist.org ?

Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 PM

150 posts, read 619,672 times
Default Contact local government?

It might be worthwhile for you to contact the Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency (MDHA) and ask them for advice. While they primarily deal with public and low income housing, they are also involved in community development and are connected with lots of property owners. They may be able to direct you to some landlords that would be willing to work with you or they may recommend someone else with whom you could talk. Their main line is (615) 252-3677.

Alternatively, you could also contact the Mayor's Office and ask for advice. That number is 615-862-6000.

Don't be shy. Providing assistance is what they are supposed to do for a living!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
What I look for is has the renter made any progress in paying back past debts. If the balance owed is the high balance that looks like the renter has no sense of responsibility for paying back the money they owe.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 43,043 times
Question Is there anywhere I can rent in Nashville with bad credit

I recently left a very abusive relationship came to Nashville to start over. I got a job, I just can't find anywhere decent to live. I make very good money and pay on time I just had to leave in a hurry and broke my rental agreement and that looks bad on my credit, Any help or advise on this seemingly hopeless situation?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 52,176 times
Default Upfront Honesty!!

Being upfront and honest with the people your dealing with about your credit history and offering an additional deposit will most likely help you get housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville