Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,791 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that alternative heating devices are sometimes an issue for your homeowner insurance carriers also. You don't want to be surprised to find out you have a problem with coverage after the fact. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,074,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
Keep in mind that alternative heating devices are sometimes an issue for your homeowner insurance carriers also. You don't want to be surprised to find out you have a problem with coverage after the fact. :/
TN, very good point. Install has to be done to codes....

Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

1,387 posts, read 3,437,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I own a house in Portland (1250 sq ft) and it is empty. We don't move there until April. We are still in California. Anyway I got my CEMC bill today and it is $125.00 and my house is empty with the Thermostat set at 50 degrees. The house is all electric and I guess I am in for sticker shock when we actually move there.

I am thinking about installing a wood stove would that be practical?

Also does anyone know of a Landfill close to Portland?

Does anyone know a reliable Car dealer I am going to need to buy a 4x4 truck in the 7k range?

I have a million questions I am going to have to ask in the next couple months and this web site so far has been awesome for people relocating to Tennessee. I hope you don't get tired of seeing them.... Thanks Lee
I too had sticker shock when I opened my first electric bill from UCEME (Putnam County). It was for 7 days and it was $49.00. The house was empty and the heat was off. They told me that it was an accurate reading. We purchased the home on the 10th day of the month and the meter was read on the 9th and again on the 16th. If that is my average for an empty house, ugh! It would be over $200 for a month!! Waiting on my second bill now...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal View Post
I too had sticker shock when I opened my first electric bill from UCEME (Putnam County). It was for 7 days and it was $49.00. The house was empty and the heat was off. They told me that it was an accurate reading. We purchased the home on the 10th day of the month and the meter was read on the 9th and again on the 16th. If that is my average for an empty house, ugh! It would be over $200 for a month!! Waiting on my second bill now...
I was told I could expect $300.00 a month when we move there...... utoh I am in trouble

Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
I was told I could expect $300.00 a month when we move there...... utoh I am in trouble
I would be surprised if you even averaged that with a 1250 SF house. If you do, then you have a problem with the house somewhere. $300 would mean you used over 3500 KWH for the month. You might have a $300 bill for one or two of the coldest months in winter, but not as an average.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I'm just hoping that it warms up pretty soon and that this expense is primarily going to be a winter thing. I don't mind hot weather at all and temperatures in the 90's seem like a mild day after living in the desert. I do realize it's humid here but I was here in August before and it didn't even phase me. I just looked out in my back yard this morning and I see there's snow on the ground.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,455 times
I was wondering when it was going to get warm here too. We moved south to get away from the cold & snow and this is what we have today.

Lee, can someone check your thermostat for you? I just found out that even with a power surge that we had this morning, my thermostat went back to the manufacturers setting and was in alternate heat mode. I'm constantly checking it now.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 PM

187 posts, read 612,165 times
Quote:
I own a house in Portland (1250 sq ft) and it is empty. We don't move there until April. We are still in California. Anyway I got my CEMC bill today and it is $125.00 and my house is empty with the Thermostat set at 50 degrees. The house is all electric and I guess I am in for sticker shock when we actually move there. I

I am scared now to think of what our electric bill will be when we move there! We are having a house built (3400 sq. feet) that will be ready some time in July. We were hoping for "better cost of living". I know the property taxes are WAY lower than here in NY, but I was also under the assumtion that the utility bills were a lot less as well.

Can anyone tell me what the average may be for a house of this size??

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
I am scared now to think of what our electric bill will be when we move there! We are having a house built (3400 sq. feet) that will be ready some time in July. We were hoping for "better cost of living". I know the property taxes are WAY lower than here in NY, but I was also under the assumtion that the utility bills were a lot less as well.

Can anyone tell me what the average may be for a house of this size??
How much are you paying per KWH where you are now? Here's it's around 8 cents. If I remember correctly, the only place in the country where it's cheaper is the Pacific Northwest.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
As a former landlord. I can tell you it takes more heat to heat a house with nothing in it. Than a house with furnishings. I don't exactly know why this is. Also there my be many reasons there is a high heat bill. Just two cracks or holes in the window,wall,around doors, ect. Will let something like 2,000 square feet an hour whistle through. If all the doors are open in the rooms and all the heat vents,baseboards, ect. Are on. Your heating the whole house and need not to. You just mainly need to heat the parts of it with the water pipes and water heater. The rest don't need it. Also on the plus side here. "Winter" here is almost over. Next come high cooling bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville