Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Tennessee within the next 1-2 years and basically need to gather up some information. Personally, I've been wanting to move to the Nashville area for a long time. My boyfriend however, is a little hesitant. It seems like an amazing place to start making our own roots and eventually start a family. Can anyone tell me about the weather, traffic, cost of living, crime rates, etc? Also, what are some of your favorite things to do around there? (This doesn't have to be strictly in Nashville). Any other information would be phenomenal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:55 AM

153 posts, read 197,214 times
Hey so I just moved to Nashville last year and love it ! It's very reminiscent of a small town with big city amenities.

Things here are changing fast, lots of growth and new buildings being put up all around Davidson county. Weather is mild during the winter, hot during the summer. Right now everything is in full bloom as spring is just around the corner.

Cost of living seems to be going up here, but you might just make it in time because I believe in about 10 years, it's gonna be nearly unaffordable to live anywhere near the metro for a middle-class citizen.

Nashville, despite being situated in the bible belt is described as moderately liberal. It's getting more progressive with all the influx of new transplants from out of state. With time, things will change. There are a ton of churches on every block, welcome to the South.

Overall, it's definitely one of the better cities in the South to live in and many are calling it home each day as the population is suppose to double in the next 15 years.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Things can change a lot in 1-2 years. Since I've moved here (close to 4 years) a lot has changed (mostly in a good way). Now is a good time to move. Lots of jobs coming (and have come) to middle tennessee. Weather is somewhat mild compared to the midwest (where I'm from), but the summers are very hot and very humid (be ready for that). Allergies can be bad too, especially in the spring and fall. Cost of living is definitely going up. Housing costs are rising and so is the cost to rent. The sooner you can get here from that perspective, the better. Traffic is also getting worse, yay! But depending on where you're from, you may not mind it too much.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,659 times
Thank you for such quick responses! I'm from the Midwest also! Trust me! If I could just pick up my stuff and move right away I would.. but we need to save a little bit of money first.. enough money to get us by until we are situated is what we agreed upon. Darn everything for costing money! Haha

I figured cost of living would be somewhat on the higher end just from it already being such a big city. It's nice to get an insiders scoop on it though. I've browsed apartments online and they seem nicely updated and well taken care of for the most part, but I did notice rent could be higher depending on how close to downtown Nashville you are.

Traffic is going to be the biggest issue for me (I'm a baby), but if we were to move near the downtown area I would rather walk to work anyways if I could!

It hasn't gotten too bad up here this year for our winter in Wisconsin..but a generally mild winter would definitely better suit me. Heat/humidity is something I can deal with better then the snow. Plus, I love storms!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Rents closer in to downtown are considerably higher, especially for newer properties. The Gulch and Midtown will probably see the highest rents. Then Germantown and SoBro/Rolling Mill Hill and 12 South. Then East Nashville and 8th South. You might find lower rents in the emerging areas such as Wedgewood/Houston, Chestnut Hill and along Nolensville Road and Dickerson Road/Cleveland Park areas. You might check out West Nashville/The Nations. Those are general areas with vast commercial and residential in between them.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 AM

25 posts, read 29,287 times
I've lived here all my life. I grew up in Nashville until I was 8 and moved to Franklin which is 25 mins South of Nashville. I've seen alot of changes since then. I believe it's a great place to start a family. Obviously some areas are better than others. Home values have sky rocketed in the last 2 years & hope they will stabilize sometime soon.

There is always something to do here especially in the summer with different concert events, Wineries, Music Row, Canoeing, Water Parks, just like any other big city. Yes we are known for Country Music but there are so many other venues as well.

Weather wise, the ole saying here is: If you don't like the weather, give it 24 hours and it will change. That is especially true in the Spring & Fall. During the summer, the humidity is a beast & can be miserable at times. BUT, it's all in what you get used to.

Traffic can be terrible at times depending on what direction your daily work route takes you. I guess like any other city, some areas of the mid-state is better than others.

I hope that helps!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 AM

1,683 posts, read 812,148 times
See the thread about traffic. It's here. We have lots of it.

If you plan on sending your kids to public high schools, look into the Bellevue area where the new Hillwood High is going. It is going to be the crowning jewel of metro public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville