Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:34 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times

Advertisements

I'll be doing a house hunting trip in the Nashville area the first week of January. This will be for our retirement home, so really we could live anywhere.

I'm wondering what any of you could tell me about Goodlettsville? I've read everything I can find, here at CD and other websites, so I know it's smaller, more rural, etc. I'm just looking for any "insider knowledge," tips about upcoming changes to that area, etc.

I'm casting a wide net, looking at pretty much any area within 30 minutes of East Nashville (for family reasons), and our budget is pretty wide open. I'll also be looking at houses in several other suburbs, especially Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, maybe Gallatin. But the location of Goodlettsville (proximity to 65 and being north) would work best for a few reasons. I just don't want to feel like I'm "out in the sticks" with nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Goodlettsville is a nice area and I think one that doesn't get the attention it deserves. It is mostly in Davidson County (Nashville) but there is a piece of it that is also in Sumner County. This matters mostly for school zoning concerns (which obviously may not be an issue for you) as Sumner County's schools are higher rated than Davidsons' as a general rule. Still, you may want to consider the Sumner County side simply for resell value.

It is one of a handful of cities that kept their government structure (police, fire, public works, etc) when Nashville became a Metropolitan government with Davidson County. So all local services there are provided by Goodlettsville rather than Metro Nashville.

I wouldn't classify it as "rural" as a whole, though parts certainly are. You'll find good amounts of suburban neighborhoods in general. There is a large retail development called Rivergate that is a typical 1980s suburban mall and retail that grew up around it. It's struggled some over the past decade or so as most malls have, but it still seems to be doing better than most in the Nashville area. All that to say, there's plenty of restaurants, retail, etc very close to Goodlettsville. Goodlettsville is obviously close to I 65 and is a mostly easy commute to Nashville.

I think you're wise to consider Goodlettsville along with the other areas you mentioned as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Goodlettsville is a nice area and I think one that doesn't get the attention it deserves. It is mostly in Davidson County (Nashville) but there is a piece of it that is also in Sumner County. This matters mostly for school zoning concerns (which obviously may not be an issue for you) as Sumner County's schools are higher rated than Davidsons' as a general rule. Still, you may want to consider the Sumner County side simply for resell value.

It is one of a handful of cities that kept their government structure (police, fire, public works, etc) when Nashville became a Metropolitan government with Davidson County. So all local services there are provided by Goodlettsville rather than Metro Nashville.

I wouldn't classify it as "rural" as a whole, though parts certainly are. You'll find good amounts of suburban neighborhoods in general. There is a large retail development called Rivergate that is a typical 1980s suburban mall and retail that grew up around it. It's struggled some over the past decade or so as most malls have, but it still seems to be doing better than most in the Nashville area. All that to say, there's plenty of restaurants, retail, etc very close to Goodlettsville. Goodlettsville is obviously close to I 65 and is a mostly easy commute to Nashville.

I think you're wise to consider Goodlettsville along with the other areas you mentioned as well.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm glad you mentioned that services like fire and police are provided by Goodlettsville rather than Nashville. I had forgotten to include in my post, that one of my concerns is the length of time for an ambulance to arrive (I had a past experience, where EMT's arriving in only 4 minutes saved my now-ex husband's life. So I probably worry about that more than most people.)

I'm happy to read that you have positive things to say about Goodlettsville overall. The only problem I'm finding is there are not a lot of houses on the market there right now that fit what we're looking for. There are tons for sale in Brentwood though, but I'm concerned about traffic congestion in that area.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm glad you mentioned that services like fire and police are provided by Goodlettsville rather than Nashville. I had forgotten to include in my post, that one of my concerns is the length of time for an ambulance to arrive (I had a past experience, where EMT's arriving in only 4 minutes saved my now-ex husband's life. So I probably worry about that more than most people.)

I'm happy to read that you have positive things to say about Goodlettsville overall. The only problem I'm finding is there are not a lot of houses on the market there right now that fit what we're looking for. There are tons for sale in Brentwood though, but I'm concerned about traffic congestion in that area.
In Goodlettsville, you would be 15 minutes from East Nashville. If you are looking to Brentwood or Franklin, you're looking at a much longer drive to EN.

Nashville police will back-up Goodlettsville if needed, they do this for all the satellite cities within Davidson County. You won't have a problem there.

If you can't find anything in Goodlettsville, Hendersonville would be my choice. It's one of my favorite towns. You wouldn't be disappointed at all.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
In Goodlettsville, you would be 15 minutes from East Nashville. If you are looking to Brentwood or Franklin, you're looking at a much longer drive to EN.

Nashville police will back-up Goodlettsville if needed, they do this for all the satellite cities within Davidson County. You won't have a problem there.

If you can't find anything in Goodlettsville, Hendersonville would be my choice. It's one of my favorite towns. You wouldn't be disappointed at all.
Thank you! I do feel like Goodlettsville or Hendersonville might have more of the "down to earth" feel we're looking for. I just wish there was more on the market right now. I guess if I don't find the right house when I go there in January, it would be better to stay put for a while, and look again every month or so.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Thank you! I do feel like Goodlettsville or Hendersonville might have more of the "down to earth" feel we're looking for. I just wish there was more on the market right now. I guess if I don't find the right house when I go there in January, it would be better to stay put for a while, and look again every month or so.
I lived in Goodlettsville for 5 years and agree with everything that’s been said. I definitely prefer the Sumner County portion. The only drawback I found with living there is that it’s limited for things like restaurants and other retail. You generally need to go to Hendersonville or Rivergate for those things. There are good grocery stores in Goodlettsville, and that was a plus. My sister lives in Gallatin now and I really like where she lives as well. I think the two main advantages to Goodlettsville are: close to 65 and much less congested than Hendersonville.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I think the two main advantages to Goodlettsville are: close to 65 and much less congested than Hendersonville.
Completely agree. In Goodlettsville you can pretty much avoid the congestion of Rivergate. In Hendersonville, it can be a challenge (especially this time of year) to avoid congestion around Indian Lake if you're on a secondary road.

I also wonder if the OP's issue with finding inventory is just seasonal-related? Maybe it'll pick up 1Q?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Completely agree. In Goodlettsville you can pretty much avoid the congestion of Rivergate. In Hendersonville, it can be a challenge (especially this time of year) to avoid congestion around Indian Lake if you're on a secondary road.

I also wonder if the OP's issue with finding inventory is just seasonal-related? Maybe it'll pick up 1Q?
I would assume inventory is at its lowest around the holidays. I asked my realtor if she thought there would be a lot more houses on the market in the spring. She said maybe not, that inventory in all of the Nashville area has been low for a couple years. But who knows?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
I think it will pick up around the first of April. At least that seems to be the case in my neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,922 times
There have been a few articles lately talking about the slowing housing market here. There are more houses available than there were a year ago. It’s difficult to predict (since the Amazon announcement among others), but if I had to guess...I think there will be more houses available this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville