Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,228 times

Advertisements

I am considering to buy a home in Antioch, but I am not sure, because of the reputation. The location I have in mind is just one block south of Tusculum and about 3 blocks east of Nolensville, is this a bad hood, the street name is Delvin. Please advise. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 14,684 times
Having lived in the antioch area for 10 years I'll just add my 2 cents. Is all of Antioch a slum? No... are parts of it? Yes. Generally the closer to the parks/lake area the better. Generally speaking once you cross smith springs road headed towards hermitage you are no longer in Antioch. Real Estate prices are affordable but anywhere near the mall is bad and here is why. Transient population with all the apartments. Section 8 housing directly adjacent to the mall. The city has recently stated wanting to open gov services offices directly in the mall due to the high number of people it services in the area (ie. Food stamps, welfare offices etc.) They had a town hall meeting last month (Dec) not many showed up but those that did were very vocal about not wanting this in the area. Many don't want to see property values drop anymore than they already have in this economy. If the city gets what they want and those offices do open in the mall. It will be the end of an already dying mall. The last major anchors will leave and you can guess what will happen to property values.

As far as Brentioch/Cane Ridge be aware that Cane Ridge is simply a renamed Antoich, however everyone knows this and it hasnt done anything for the property values as was hoped. Brentioch (stupid name IMHO just more people not wanting to admit they live in Antioch) technically doesnt start until after you cross Nolensville heading east towards nippers corner. Nolensville road is known as hispanic alley. If you really want Brentioch/Brentwood Davidson County you'll need to narrow your search to Nippers Corner and areas east. Obviously Home prices rise the closer you get to Brentwood proper. Same goes for the above stated areas past smith springs road headed towards hermitage, home prices rise although no where near as much as brentwood.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM

144 posts, read 465,768 times
Default What are your goals?

M Shepherd,

What are your particular goals in purchasing the home? What are you looking for in your home and area now and in the future? Antioch covers a lot of area and as mentioned varies from area to area. My family actually owns several properties in various areas of Antioch for different reasons. It all depends on what's important to you now and in the future. Obviously, I'm not opposed to buying in Antioch, but whether it would be the right decision for you depends on what it is you're after.

Last edited by Marilyn Bell; 01-04-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,169 times
Hi.. we had fallen in love with a home and were ready to make an offer but after reading your posts we're not so sure. The house is out on the Anderson Rd penninsula that extends into priest lake. the zip is 37217... the area seemed ok, but is it? Too close to a bad neighborhood? We have two little kids and are planning to homeschool them, but don't want to be somewhere dangerous.
Please let me know your thoughts!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeytits3000 View Post
Hi.. we had fallen in love with a home and were ready to make an offer but after reading your posts we're not so sure. The house is out on the Anderson Rd penninsula that extends into priest lake. the zip is 37217... the area seemed ok, but is it? Too close to a bad neighborhood? We have two little kids and are planning to homeschool them, but don't want to be somewhere dangerous.
That is a decent area IMO. I would buy there.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 14,684 times
37217 is a Nashville Zip code not Antioch. My sister in law lives right in that area and it is nice. Good property for the prices and is quiet as well as safe. Lots of family's in that area who look out for each other and many neighborhood watches that take it seriously + you get close access to the lake and parks with a nice beach for swimming in the summer.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 15,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. shepherd View Post
I am considering to buy a home in Antioch, but I am not sure, because of the reputation. The location I have in mind is just one block south of Tusculum and about 3 blocks east of Nolensville, is this a bad hood, the street name is Delvin. Please advise. Thanks.
SOUTH of this specific area is not so bad but is still sort of muddled in with the rest of it, too close for my liking. NORTH of that specific area on the other side of Nolensville Rd. getting near to Haywood Ln area is one of the very worst area in all of Antioch for violent crime. As others have mentioned, theres good parts and bad parts but still the Antioch zip code is usually in the top 3 highest crime zip codes in Metro. Just be careful and alert wherever you go in Antioch.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,757 times
Thumbs up Hello nurse vida the grape....

I currently live in the Antioch area between smith springs rd and anderson rd. We also have our house for sale but not because it is a bad area. We love the area and love our house however we are looking at buying some land and building our own house out in the country (my husbands dream.) The neighborhood I live in (edge-o-lake) is great and would recommend living there, unfortunately we have a bad rep because it is an antioch address, however about a 1/4 of a mile down smith springs is considered a Nashville address. Go figure. Just stay away from the mall area, it has gotten a little run down the last few years. We have had no problems in the 5 years we have been there. Our neighbors are great and have been there forever. The area you are looking at buying is the same area we are in and would def recommend buying there. I have grown up in the antioch/hermitage area and love it. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse vida the grape View Post

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
The area is fine, it is in the Antihoch area, closer to Antioch than Nolensville Rd area, or Haywood Lane. Don't let the Antioch name scare you. I wish they would give the Nolensville Rd, Haywood Lane area an official name so they won't have to keep calling it Antioch. You are a good 15 min from that area. As far as the Hickory Hollow area, in the Section 8 apartments, the only one that is by the mall, those people are not going to bother you. If they have a problem it is with each other, not random people. So you do not have any worries in the Antioch or surronding area.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
The area is fine, it is in the Antihoch area, closer to Antioch than Nolensville Rd area, or Haywood Lane. Don't let the Antioch name scare you. I wish they would give the Nolensville Rd, Haywood Lane area an official name so they won't have to keep calling it Antioch. You are a good 15 min from that area. As far as the Hickory Hollow area, in the Section 8 apartments, the only one that is by the mall, those people are not going to bother you. If they have a problem it is with each other, not random people. So you do not have any worries in the Antioch or surronding area.
Do you have a source of profit in the Antioch area? Your version of the truth is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville