Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 AM

84 posts, read 491,714 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was just wondering about lawn care here because we just bought a house and there is no sprinkler system, just like every other house here. Where I am from in California, all the houses have a sprinkler system.

Most of the lawns here seem to be so lush and green most of the time, I was just wondering if waterng on a daily babis is needed, or if it's just an occasional thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
I guess it depends how good you want it to look. I like my yard, but I'm not obsessive about it. I water it enough to keep it from dying; which means I ocassionally water it if it hasn't rained in three or four days. It's probably been a week or so since we've got rain, but I haven't watered it b/c it's cooling off anyway. I care more about the expensive water bill than I do the green lawn.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 AM

450 posts, read 1,502,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamazing75 View Post
Hi, I was just wondering about lawn care here because we just bought a house and there is no sprinkler system, just like every other house here. Where I am from in California, all the houses have a sprinkler system.

Most of the lawns here seem to be so lush and green most of the time, I was just wondering if waterng on a daily babis is needed, or if it's just an occasional thing.
I to am from California (Central Valley) and I ran into the same thing. In Calif we did not have meters and here we do. So I am kinda freeked out about watering. From what I hear it usually rains at least 4 to 5 inches a month (check average rain fall stats on line) here and there is no need to water. But it has not rained here in a while. Like the previous person that posted it depends on how green you want your yard. I am only gonna water just enough to keep the lawn from dying. I hope the water situation resolves its self soon.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 41,085 times
Like Lee, I'm from California- Central Valley as well. I have been here for a little more than 3 years. What I have noticed is though we are in a dry spell, much like last year, most grass will be okay. If you live in an area with a small yard and are worried about it dying, then by all means water it. I myself live on several acres, so not to break the bank, we just water our plants and shrubs. Our grass seems to bounce back quickly with a great rain.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Also from CA- NorCal. We were shocked that most homes had no sprinkler systems, but it's been 7 years and our lawn's still alive.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Never water it. I let the drought kill it, saved me 20 bucks a week not having to mow.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Alot of my lawn is in the shade but I've never watered it once and it still looks pretty good. I'm going to set up rain barrels for times when it doesn't rain for awhile because I do want it to look good and I want to add some new plants. I've talked to a number of people including neighbors who say they just let the rain water their lawns and rarely if ever do they run a sprinkler. I think the grass here is pretty drought tolerant unless it's really bad like people said it was last summer. I've only been here a few months and up until very recently it's rained enough to keep things green.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Only 1 home in my neighborhood which is owned by a landscaper who has a sprinkler system actually waters. None of the other homes since I've lived her for the past year have watered their lawns.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM

187 posts, read 611,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Only 1 home in my neighborhood which is owned by a landscaper who has a sprinkler system actually waters. None of the other homes since I've lived her for the past year have watered their lawns.

How do they look?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
mom2three, the landscapers lawn looks like it's an advertisement for his business it's so nice.

All of the other lawns right now are green with a little brown mixed in but not horrible looking. When I arrived here last year after the horrible dry/hot summer TN was experiencing, my lawn was all brown & crisp when you walked on it. Since we did have quite a bit of rain in the spring and not an extremely hot summer, the lawns stayed greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville