Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 62,814 times

Advertisements

I am going to be visiting Nashville this weekend and wanted to know if it would be ok to stay near the airport. The Hilton brand hotels look real nice, but what is the area like? We are going to do some touristy things, but we are also checking out the area for possible relocation next year. I could use some help there too.

A little about me...

I am currently in a northern Atlanta suburb and looking to get out. I am a senior accountant currently. I will have my masters and hopefully my CPA when I do move. I wanted to know what the market was like for accountants. Also, what counties make up the area? I have a 6 year old girl, so great schools and low crime are a big deal for me. My husband works as a machine operator and has a CDL, lots of truck driving experience. I am renting right now and will most likely when I get there, though I have 3 dogs (2 about 50lbs and 1 about 15lbs, all older) so I am curious if I am just going to be hosed in that area. When I moved to Tampa, it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a reasonable home rental (I am looking in the $1100-1300 rental range) that would allow 1 pet at all!!

Well, that's it for now. I know that all my questions can't be answered with complete certainty, but any input would be helpful.

Oh, one last thing. Do companies tend to run credit checks in order to get a job? My credit is getting better, but is on the mend from a 2003 medical bankruptcy. Just curious.

Any help anyone can give me by Thursday (I leave Friday) on the hotel situation would be great!!!

Thanks to all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,884 times
Default Hotels around the Nashville Airport

Good evening,

I live about 2 miles north of the Nashville Airport. This area, at least, in my subdivision is very safe. There are several hotels/motels north of the airport on Donelson Pike just across Interstate 40. Also, Elm Hill Pike, 2 blocks north of Interstate 40, has some very nice hotels/motels. You can find restaurants on Donelson Pike i.e. Shoney's, Ruby Tuesday, Arby's, Backyard Burgers. McDonald's, Wendy's and Subway. All the hotels/motels in this are are very nice and a few have been built within the last couple of years.

As far as schools, to be honest, Nashville's are not very good. Counties surrounding Nashville have better schools, especially Williamson County, which is south of Nashville on Interstate 65. Williamson County is rather pricey though. Other counties surrounding Nashville include Rutherford to the southeast on Interstate 24, Wilson to the east on Interstate 40, Sumner to the Northeast on Interstate 65, Robertson to the Northwest on Interstate 24 and Cheatham to the west on Interstate 40.

My wife home schools her son, so I may not be very much help on individual schools in Nashville. We are looking to move to Robertson County to get away from the congestion and so her son can go to public high school, which he very much wants to do. Again, as far as I can tell, schools in counties surrounding Nashville are much better than Nashville's school system. Nashville does have "magnet schools", Martin Luther King and Hume Fogg, which are very good, but are rather hard to get into. Theses two schools are ranked among the best in the state.

There are rentals in my neighborhood in Donelson, but I am not sure what the rent is. My neighborhood consists of homes built in the 1950s. They are three bedroom and 1-2 bathrooms ranch style type of homes. I love this neighborhood, as we have allot of trees. Nashville, as you know, is a large town, so hopefully someone from some of the other areas the city can help you out as far as rentals and schools in their areas are concerned.

I am afraid I can't help you on job prospects. I am a video editor and I have a hard time keeping up with what is available for editors around town.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Nashville!

Sincerely,
Buzz

Old 02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 692,020 times
We visited last summer and stayed at the "Ramada Inn and Suites Opryland Airport" (on Atrium Way) was nice enough, but I was not happy with the air-conditioning set up--especially for summer! I don't know what your budget is, but the rates are reasonable and they have a breakfast buffet every morning and laundry facilities onsite. It was conveniently located for us. We had a car and did a lot of scouting for our move.

We are going to be returning again this fall and plan to stay at the Doubletree Guest Suites Hotel on Atrium Way. I have never been disappointed by a Doubletree....(BTW, their is a downtown Doubletree on 4th, but it is much more expensive).

Hope this helps some....have a great weekend!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Atrium Way is a good location.

There is a Hilton on Royal Pkwy, its close to the main Post Office and the airport is close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: