Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncraig View Post
What still rightfully bothers a lot of people in Memphis is the outcome of our 30 year quest to get a NFL team.

We tried since the 1960s, including hosting numerous exhibition games, to try and get the NFL to grant us an expansion franchise.

In the 70s, we were supposedly the third choice after the two winners,Seattle and Tampa Bay. In the next expansion we were once again considered in the top 5 with Charlotte, Jacksonville, St. Louis and Baltimore. All of the others either got expansion or relocated teams except for Memphis.

Nashville wasn't even talked about as a potential NFL market and all of a sudden Bud Adams is moving the Oilers to town. Granted, Memphis made a lot of mistakes in our NFL bids. We were touting already having a stadium as being an advantage when the NFL was looking for brand new not a partially renovated Liberty Bowl.

So you can see why there is some bitterness about the Titans in Memphis. But I think as the years go by, that will die out especially with the younger generation that doesn't know that history. My nephews and nieces are all big Titans fans with the oldest being 30.

It is good for Tennessee to have the Titans, Predators and Grizzlies in the state and good that at least one of those teams is in the state's largest city, Memphis.
I can certainly understand the bitterness over the NFL, especially among the older population. Memphis was the largest city (and metro) in the state for much of the 20th century. That's why pro sports were looking there and not in Nashville. In the 80s, Nashville started to catch up...and quickly, eventually passing Memphis in metro population after the 1990 Census. I think that's why Nashville went from under the radar to a contender. Pro organizations (and their owners) saw a market that was quickly on the rise and had a lot of potential future growth, whereas the Memphis area, while growing, wasn't doing it as fast. While it may appear to Memphians that Nashville came out of nowhere, Nashville was always there -- but in the shadow of Memphis. That changed in the 90s.

I do think that having the Liberty Bowl as a selling point probably was a hindrance, but it wasn't the only factor in play. If Memphis is to ever get an NFL team, they will most certainly have to spend a great deal of money on a new stadium. (It's for another discussion, but I think building stadiums to lure teams is a very expensive and dangerous risk for cities, because it doesn't always work)

I don't know if the NFL will ever locate a team in Memphis -- it's hard to say at this point. It depends on a lot of factors, including the future growth of Memphis (to keep up with the tier of cities that have multiple franchises), and if the league expands at any point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville