Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,017 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I've read all the posts on here, but still can't decide what to think about East Nashville. I will be graduating veterinary school at Mississippi State in May. My wife and I are both 25 and will be relocating to Nashville after I graduate.

I LOVE the Hillsboro Village area, but just don't think we can afford that starting out. We've been to East Nashville (5 points area), and really like it too. My biggest concern is the safety issue. I don't mind the vibe not being like the suburbs (in fact I'm seeking diversity), but I want my wife and I to be safe. One rental I've been seriously considering is on the 100 block of N. 9th Street in East Nashville. The landlord is very friendly, and said that the current tenants love the area and their neighbors and have left the house and their brand-new BMW SUV unattended for the last couple of months while they are relocating, with no trouble.

I would really just like to know how you all felt about this particular area of East Nashville. Could we walk back from the bars in 5 points safely at night? Would my wife be safe walking our dog around the neighborhood before dark? after? Can I work late without feeling like I have to constantly check on my wife? I have my late dad's 2000 BMW Z3 convertible that I am driving now, so I worry a little about the perception of wealth (which I definitely don't have yet!) people may have with it parked in my backyard and the possibility of vandalism/theft.

My price range for a rental is max $1000, preferably less.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM

150 posts, read 620,083 times
First, I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response before now. I held off because I am a little less familiar with this specific part of East Nashville than some others. I think you deserve an answer though, so just bear in mind I don't live right there.

The location is a great one in terms of proximity both to 5 points and to downtown and interstates. You would not be living in a place where you always have to look over your shoulder, but you probably don't want to leave that BMW on the street. Maybe it would be ok, but I just wouldn't count on it.

I personally would not want to be walking home from bars at 5 points to N 9th at night unless I had several people with me. Robberies along and around the Main Street / Gallatin Av commercial corridor and in the 5 points district itself suggest to me that walking more than a block or two at night without a reasonable contingent of others (with you or watching) makes you a target. I'm not saying that 5 points isn't safe. I'm not saying the neighborhood of N 9th isn't safe. I am saying that traversing a significant amount of commercial corridor or alleys on foot in that general vicinity at night when it is just a couple or an individual is probably best avoided.

In that area along Main Street there are very few businesses open at night. You have the liquor store and a bar called Juice that has been the scene of a few episodes of violence. Then, of course, there are regularly folks loitering around the Bank of America property. In a couple of years, when that former Bank of America property has been turned into upscale retail and residential development (that is the plan), that part of East Nashville will likely be safer to walk around.

Just because night time sojourns on foot to 5 points aren't advisable doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider the location. I think living that close to 5 points would be excellent. I certainly don't think you would need to be worried about your wife when you are working late. When it comes to safety in the residential parts of East Nashville, most folks who avoid the drug culture don't have any problems. Walking a dog, particularly a mid to large size one, is usually pretty safe.

I would suggest, if possible, you spend some more time in the area and see how you feel.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,918 times
grew up in the neighborhood and it is nothing like it was when I was younger back then we could sleep with the windows up, but not anymore.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 AM

933 posts, read 2,743,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanne46 View Post
grew up in the neighborhood and it is nothing like it was when I was younger back then we could sleep with the windows up, but not anymore.
You might want to take a drive across the river sometime if you haven't in a while (not just a drive down Shelby or Main/Gallatin Road). Your old neighborhood(s) is undergoing quite a revival (especially over the last ten years). It's really ashamed that more people that grew up in East Nashville seem to never come back and completely write it off. I suppose that is a big part of why the revival effort seems to be driven mostly by transplants from areas of the country that value proximity to the urban core (and older, prewar housing). Props to IngleDave for being an original native that welcomes the invading hordes.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,655 times
Thanks, yank. I do welcome most invading hordes...not all, but most. Regarding this neighborhood. Maybe I'm a big ol' chicken, but I don't think I'd be comfortable there. My only real experience is a former carpooler I'd pick up one block off 9th. The people living around seemed nice enough, but there always seemed to be groups hanging around that didn't remind me of me at all. I was a bit edgy and that was in the daytime. Things are definately looking up around that area and it's probably safe enough if one is vigilant. My carpooler, a 30-something white female sure doesn't seem to mind it. An investment in that area is probably a good one. I would imagine I'd be more like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino over there...I'm quite protective of my space and those quarters would be a bit tight for me. But if I were younger....

Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,836,355 times
One of my co-workers sisters recently bought a house on N. 9th St. as an investment property. She has spoken to neighbors on the Street & really likes the area & has said that she may end up living there herself after it's fixed up.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Thanks, yank. I do welcome most invading hordes...not all, but most. Regarding this neighborhood. Maybe I'm a big ol' chicken, but I don't think I'd be comfortable there. My only real experience is a former carpooler I'd pick up one block off 9th. The people living around seemed nice enough, but there always seemed to be groups hanging around that didn't remind me of me at all. I was a bit edgy and that was in the daytime. Things are definately looking up around that area and it's probably safe enough if one is vigilant. My carpooler, a 30-something white female sure doesn't seem to mind it. An investment in that area is probably a good one. I would imagine I'd be more like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino over there...I'm quite protective of my space and those quarters would be a bit tight for me. But if I were younger....
hah, that's great. Yeah, it's a little close to Cayce but you would be around a really neat, close knit neighborhood (with some of the nicest houses in Nashville, in Edgeville) that looks out for each other. Like IngleDave said, some of the things that might make you uncomfortable would be a lot easier to live with if you invested in the property (knowing it was getting better and your property value was going up) and were'nt just renting. It could be the best place you ever lived though, just depends. A big dog and a alarm solves alot of issues. I have walked and rode my bike during the day and at night to and from downtown on Woodland many times with no incidents, but there have been some street robberies in that area. Guess I'm a grizzled veteran at 3+ years over here.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,836,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
hah, that's great. Yeah, it's a little close to Cayce but you would be around a really neat, close knit neighborhood (with some of the nicest houses in Nashville, in Edgeville) that looks out for each other. Like IngleDave said, some of the things that might make you uncomfortable would be a lot easier to live with if you invested in the property (knowing it was getting better and your property value was going up) and were'nt just renting. It could be the best place you ever lived though, just depends. A big dog and a alarm solves alot of issues. I have walked and rode my bike during the day and at night to and from downtown on Woodland many times with no incidents, but there have been some street robberies in that area. Guess I'm a grizzled veteran at 3+ years over here.
Everyone certainly has different standards as to what "close" means. But in my personal opinion, N. 9th St. isn't that close to Cayce homes. N. 9th St. is off of Main near McFerrin, so it's not like it's right there because you have Main Street & all the streets in between there & Shelby as a buffer...Lord knows I live much closer than that to Cayce but have never had a problem.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM

150 posts, read 620,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
I wouldn't really describe this as close to Cayce. It is West of Main Street. It is close to some other public / low income housing near Ellington Parkway. There is some revitalization going on there. Silverdene Apts are being rebuilt after the fire (at least they were, I haven't heard much about it since the recession hit).

I also wouldn't compare Main Street to Woodland in terms of walking/biking. Even though they are only one block apart, they are very different in terms of the foot and car traffic you see there. I have comfortably (but vigilantly) walked Woodland in this area at night (again this is not where the nightlife is, so it is isolated). Main Street is a whole other animal.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
I wouldn't really describe this as close to Cayce. It is West of Main Street. It is close to some other public / low income housing near Ellington Parkway. There is some revitalization going on there. Silverdene Apts are being rebuilt after the fire (at least they were, I haven't heard much about it since the recession hit).

I also wouldn't compare Main Street to Woodland in terms of walking/biking. Even though they are only one block apart, they are very different in terms of the foot and car traffic you see there. I have comfortably (but vigilantly) walked Woodland in this area at night (again this is not where the nightlife is, so it is isolated). Main Street is a whole other animal.
Oops, sorry about that, got a little mixed up on my bearings (I was thinking it was between Woodland and Shelby). Yeah, I can confirm there are nice new apartments being built right now where Silverdene Apt's used to be (Right across the street from Meigs Magnet School)...they are progressing nicely. Hopefully the new owners of the Bank of America bld secure funding and begin the 800 Main complex. Maybe this will help stem the loitering that goes on there everyday and kick start the revitalization of Main Street. So much potential.

Last edited by yank283; 04-16-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville