Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I will soon be a Belmont Graduate and my Fiance works at Vanderbilt as a dialysis patient carer. We have recently debated the idea of moving out of Nashville (to Murfreesboro) because there is definitely more bang for your buck. However, we both love nashville and wish we could stay but we are being very budget conscious. We don't want to start out in a huge load of debt but I really hate the idea of living in Murfreesboro! We love the vibe of east nash and the creativity that seems to be busting at the seams of this area (and the prices!!). The only element we are apprehensive about is safety. We realize that this isn't a cookie cutter brentwood neighborhood by any means but I want to be able to sleep at night with out worrying about being murdered. I have read a lot about all the different east nashville communities but would like a little light shed about a specific street that we have our eye on! There is actually 2 charming renovated cottages for sale on S 11th Street that are the perfect price and exactly what we want. How does everybody feel about the Shelby Hills neighborhood? Any insight or thoughts would help us out! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
We would essentially be neighbors I've lived on the South side of Shelby for 4 years & haven't had any significant problems.

I've said this on the forum for years, but it's valid & bears repeating...my tips are to be cautious of your surroundings, don't be flashy, don't buy or sell drugs from shady people, carry key chain mace, etc. I don't go to sleep at night worrying about being murdered, but I also don't lead a risky lifestyle.

Good luck, if you do move over here I hope that you enjoy the area as much as I have!

Courtney

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

228 posts, read 528,583 times
First and foremost as a first time homebuyer - ask as many questions of Courtney as she’ll let you! There is no substitute for being able to talk to the neighbors. Experienced homebuyers that I have worked with constantly chat up the neighbors walking down the street, at the local grocery store, or any local gathering spot. They have no fear of sounding silly, they just want to find out the real facts about their next potential neighborhood.

Drive the property in the morning, at midday, during the evening commute, and at night. Get gas in the area this week. Go shopping for groceries nearby instead of where you currently live. Stalk the hood. It’s not a perfect plan, but it can help educate your gut instincts in ways that city stats don’t always explain.

Also, if you are looking to see which specific neighborhoods a property might be in (Shelby Hills / Historic Edgefield / East End / Lockland Springs), check out this map from Josh Crews at east-nashville.com.

Any other questions popping up for you?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM

54 posts, read 139,763 times
East Nashville will always be near and dear to my heart. I rent an office there because I miss living there so much (but my family circumstances changed). There is a great East Nashville list serv on google. There's also an East Nashville Crime list serve on topica. I'm not sure if I can post the links, but you can find them easily. You can also go to the MNPD website to view a crime map.

Yes, it seems like there's more criminal activity over there lately, but we're in a pretty bad economy. A lot of people are unemployed. Those factors usually lead to increased crime. That said, the increase isn't just in East Nashville.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM

107 posts, read 303,100 times
Go for it - East Nashville is great if you like friendly people, good organic foods, large running groups, or bike.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I agree with Kevin south of Nashville's comments. Do your homework and keep your eyes open and you will be okay. As much as I love Hendersonville, I'd love to live in East Nashville too. You'd just need to make sure you don't make yourself a target (keep the car locked up, home alarm, be aware of your surroundings, etc). It is not Compton...but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville