Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM

957 posts, read 3,702,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Tips:

1. When getting on, the lane you are in is called the acceleration lane. It is meant for you to get up to speed. Do not slow down and look in your rear view mirror and try to slow down to figure out when you can get in behind somebody. Hit the gas and merge on in there.
Along the same lines...When the road widens before a turn, it's called a turn lane. Pull to the right and slow down in the turn lane prior to turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,129,324 times
I am still chuckling after letting out a huge loud laugh. My husband had me read him the OP's request for help and he is still chuckling. We drove in Nashville's rush-hour - at least it was supposed to be.

I have driven in towns with 3 cars so I can imagine how scary it must seem to be near any city - and 5 lanes -- even if there were no cars -- must feel like the indy500 to you. I grew up learning to drive on major highways so I've spent over 40 years driving on 3-lane and more highways with trucks and crazies. There's no easy way. But if your night vision is still good (mine isn't now that I'm over 60), go out at 3 am during the week and practice. Wait until daylight savings time and go out at 5/6 am on a SUNDAY morning. Do it. There's no magic trick, you just have to get out there and do it.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 PM

597 posts, read 2,110,637 times
NY Annie is right. SUNDAY morning is a great time to explore and learn. I take lots of pictures and go out most Sunday mornings because it's just me and city for the most part. You'll have until about 11 a.m., so no, you don't really have to get up at the crack of dawn, but early is good.

You'll even have time to stop somewhere nice for breakfast, explore downtown unencumbered by crowds and still be able to get out before too much company arrives. It's my favorite time to hit the Farmer's Market and enjoy this soon to be exploding beautiful spring. Enjoy, and don't panic.

There's some really good advice on here about merging and such. Learn from these folks. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

My sister lived in Mt. Juliet and stayed at home to raise the kids. When it came time to work again, she ended up having to commute to the West End area every day. I don't think she stopped crying for a couple of months, but now, she's right in there with the best of them. If she can conquer, by George, you can conquer. Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM

21 posts, read 49,530 times
You guys have been an invaluable help! NY Annie, you made me laugh, too, because it really does feel like the Indy500 to me, as silly as that sounds! I am definately going to take up the advice on practicing on Sundays!
Big TR, thanks for the detailed advice...I will make sure I stay in the right lane...I'm sure for awhile I will be that slowpoke...I doubt I'll be passing other people.
Oh another question...This whole carpool lane is all new to me too...I've driven roads where you have to stop and wait for the ducks to cross the road...but never where there's certain lanes you can only be in depending on how many people are in your car! haha I guess it's self explainatory...but I saw on the signs there are only certain hours for it?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,795,173 times
I would say if you don't want trouble on the road then don't tailgate anybody and you should be ok..give yourself some room in between the car in front of you...let the fast cars speed by on your left side...and don't feel like you have to speed up for anyone if they are being aggressive behind you....

that's if u are going at least five miles over the speed limit...try to stay in the range of either speed limit or 5 miles over if u wanna be safe...and always use a signal before switching lanes because sometimes there are certain times when u might be getting over to your left and another car is getting over to his right at the same time but u don't notice so the turn signal can say clearly what you are doing and when they see it they can honk that you are about to hit them or something. if u get into an accident out there on the highway and can still drive....

pull over to the closest and safest part on the side of the road somewhere near where your accident happened....they say stay in the place of the accident but i was told by an officer one time after i got in a wreck on a major interstate that i should move the car out of the way next time if possible as long as the car is near the spot of the accident...Good luck out there!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,759,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I was in that today on 24. It got so annoying. Seemes like every lane was doing it except the HOV lane, which of course I couldn't drive in because I was alone.
Yeah, I got a ticket for that once.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 AM

627 posts, read 1,848,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've got one too. It's way worth the $65 (or whatever) when you think about the time saved overall.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM

21 posts, read 51,713 times
Lol, I feel the sameeeeeeeeee! I feel so dumb because I have been driving around for about a month and I still cannot go around without a GPS... And all these huge trucks going 80 (or people going 40) just freak me out. Someone told me to take "defensive" driving classes to make me more confident. I guess that might help you, too.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,262,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Time to break out the blow up doll, boys. (Or girls!)

Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM

627 posts, read 1,848,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Time to break out the blow up doll, boys. (Or girls!)
Mine's too sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville