Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM

10 posts, read 34,794 times

Advertisements

October? You don't have much longer to wait! I wish the summer hadn't been so hot and dry. We normally have such lovely colors in the fall, but they are expecting things to be a bit brown this year.
Cottontown is right next to me. There is a four-way stop that you will become familiar with right away...25 and 31W. It is next to the interstate (65). When you go to Nashville and get lost...and believe me, you will!...always watch for the Louisville signs on the interstate. If you follow those, you will find your way home!
Fast food is a bit of a luxury for those of us that live this far up. White House has Sonic, McDonald's, Wendy's, Hardee's, KFC, Taco Bell, Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Subway. There is a Cracker Barrel...it's pretty good, but the one in Franklin, Ky. is better. Portland has Krystal, Sonic, McDonalds, Arby's, and some others. There is a BBQ place in Cross Plains called True's...it's pretty good. OH! and Thomas Drugs...the milkshakes mmmmmm! lol Of course, there is always Hendersonville and Gallatin. You can find any and everything there.
If I can help with anything you need to know about the area, let me know. I'll see what I can find out for ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
Thank you so much for the help. I'm copying the info and printing it out to have in a folder when I move.

I've been told people go to Franklin, KY to shop to avoid the sales tax. Is this a good place to shop?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 PM

56 posts, read 233,462 times
You can find alot of stuff in springfield also

Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
oh yea..no food taxes in ky

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 AM

What town do you go to for shopping in Kentucky? I'm new to this area of TN.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,524 times
Franklin, it's like Exit 2 on I-65. Go west (left) after exiting. You can always go a little further and go to Bowling Green...maybe 45 minutes. It's bigger than Franklin.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Diva View Post
I live in Cross Plains. White House is just south of me. Portland is NE. If you are planning on working in Nashville, White House is more convenient to I-65. Someone posted a mall or Super WalMart going in...it's WalMart, and I can hardly wait! My WalMart has been the one in Franklin, KY, which is only 10 mins from me. Other shopping is only about 20 mins away. Springfield, Gallatin, Hendersonville, Rivergate and Bowling Green, KY all offer great shopping and restaurants.
White House is a very nice, family-oriented community, as is Cross Plains. The schools are great with smaller classes, teachers that are there for the children and they encourage parent participation in any way you feel comfortable contributing. Football is a big deal here...Go Indians! lol
We love it here. We are close enough to Nashville that it is no big deal to go there, while our house is surrounded by 2 farms of 300+ acres each, so we have all the privacy and quiet we could ever want. We have been here for 9 years and have never considered moving away.

Yep, I've talked to a couple of newcomers to White House that haven't really liked the idea of "worshipping the (Blue) Devil" (the Sumner side of White House's mascot). I was amazed to find out they start tryin to sell them mascot stuff from the first week of kindergarten.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 47,529 times
Default HELLO ALL ( Don't move to WHITE HOUSE TN)

Hello All,

My wife and I moved to White House TN, a few years ago, . First let me say, This is really a lovely little town, the people here are friendly, and its a nice and quiet community, that is growing.

However, there have been numerous letters, complaints, and even Television news reporting done on what I and many others in this community have been complainging about which is: "The City of White House GOUGING the citizens on the Sewer/ Water Rates.

Our experience, has been that everyone of our neighbors, in our brand new neighborhood, of 70 or so newly built homes, have complained and compared their sewer bills and water bills in disbelief. 90 percent of our neighborhood consists of working professionals, with a few retired couples.
Several of these neighbors have moved from New York, Flordia, and California. These neighbors complained that these are the Highest sewer and water bills that they have ever seen.

Water usage IS metered here. However, Sewer usuage is NOT metered in White House Tn. So they determine your sewer rate by the amount of gallons of water you use. Most average families use 6000 gallons of water per month. But, do you think you use 6000 gallons of sewer for treatment??? Well, in White House, TN, They act as if you do! They take your water bill, and add a few more percentage points to that, add the brand new trash pickup fee recently adde, and you have a sewer bill that is 10 or 15 percent higher than your water bill. together usually over 200 per month. if you water your lawn 300-400

Furthermore, it has been told to us, that the city does NOT own the water company here! The water company is cleverly named the WHITE HOUSE WATER DISTRICT though. Pretty neat huh! My assumption is that the city is making up these "missing, lost water revenues" by charging the citizens enormous amounts for sewer treatment which the city DOES own. The honest truth is, only 25 or 30 percent of a residents water usage is truly being used for actual sewer. The rest is showers, baths, filling up your dogs water bowl, washing your car, pressure washing your house, watering your garden or plants etc etc etc etc. A fair way, would be that The city SHOULD be charging 50% of what your water bill actually is. That would still allow plenty of profit for any given municipality. But instead, they continue on with the 110+ percent slap the citizens in the face gouge. OUCH! If you move here, you will say the same thing, trust me!

My advice is Prepare to pay dearly for water and sewer here. Before you move here, go to one of the neighborhoods, and speak with neighbors. Go to the city park and speak with the parents while their kids play, and they will give you an honest reaction, and not a goverment white wash like we have experienced since we have been here. A few weeks ago at a soccer game, we overheard a group of about 20 residents complaining about how high their water and sewer rates were.

After the story on the news last month, NOT a single HOUSE Was sold here in the White House tn community in the month of Septemeber. This trend will continue, especially with the present housing market fiasco, if something is not done about the city utility rates in this nice little town.

I say to anyone moving here: SPEAK WITH LOCALS BEFORE YOU BUY OR LIVE HERE! WHERE THERE IS SMOKE. THERE IS FIRE!

Last edited by Ben H; 10-20-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: a

Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Some homes have septic systems instead of sewers; that's what I have. I still love the White House area.

When I lived in one town in Connecticut, the sewer bill up there was the same exact charge as what you water bill was for the month so I know how expensive that can be.

I know when I look for a new place to live, I always ask what the water, heating, etc. bills are to compare to where I am moving from.

It's best to know everything and anything about a place you're moving to before you make a final decision.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I moved to White House TN, a few years ago, . First let me say, This is really a lovely little town, the people here are friendly, and its a nice and quiet community, that is growing.

However, there have been numerous letters, complaints, and even Television news reporting done on what I and many others in this community have been complainging about which is: "The City of White House GOUGING the citizens on the Sewer/ Water Rates.

Our experience, has been that everyone of our neighbors, in our brand new neighborhood, of 70 or so newly built homes, have complained and compared their sewer bills and water bills in disbelief. 90 percent of our neighborhood consists of working professionals, with a few retired couples.
Several of these neighbors have moved from New York, Flordia, and California. These neighbors complained that these are the Highest sewer and water bills that they have ever seen.

Water usage IS metered here. However, Sewer usuage is NOT metered in White House Tn. So they determine your sewer rate by the amount of gallons of water you use. Most average families use 6000 gallons of water per month. But, do you think you use 6000 gallons of sewer for treatment??? Well, in White House, TN, They act as if you do! They take your water bill, and add a few more percentage points to that, add the brand new trash pickup fee recently adde, and you have a sewer bill that is 10 or 15 percent higher than your water bill. together usually over 200 per month. if you water your lawn 300-400

Furthermore, it has been told to us, that the city does NOT own the water company here! The water company is cleverly named the WHITE HOUSE WATER DISTRICT though. Pretty neat huh! My assumption is that the city is making up these "missing, lost water revenues" by charging the citizens enormous amounts for sewer treatment which the city DOES own. The honest truth is, only 25 or 30 percent of a residents water usage is truly being used for actual sewer. The rest is showers, baths, filling up your dogs water bowl, washing your car, pressure washing your house, watering your garden or plants etc etc etc etc. A fair way, would be that The city SHOULD be charging 50% of what your water bill actually is. That would still allow plenty of profit for any given municipality. But instead, they continue on with the 110+ percent slap the citizens in the face gouge. OUCH! If you move here, you will say the same thing, trust me!

My advice is Prepare to pay dearly for water and sewer here. Before you move here, go to one of the neighborhoods, and speak with neighbors. Go to the city park and speak with the parents while their kids play, and they will give you an honest reaction, and not a goverment white wash like we have experienced since we have been here. A few weeks ago at a soccer game, we overheard a group of about 20 residents complaining about how high their water and sewer rates were.

After the story on the news last month, NOT a single HOUSE Was sold here in the White House tn community in the month of Septemeber. This trend will continue, especially with the present housing market fiasco, if something is not done about the city utility rates in this nice little town.

I say to anyone moving here: SPEAK WITH LOCALS BEFORE YOU BUY OR LIVE HERE! WHERE THERE IS SMOKE. THERE IS FIRE!
Hello Ben,
I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum.
I understand you are frustrated and I agree, 200 or more for a water/sewage/trash collection bill is high. However, I am over in North East TN, the Tri-Cities and the set up you described is the same around here. The water Dept's are not owned by the town. The larger cities ones are, but the smaller towns are not. They also double then add a few more for sewage. The trash collection is also on the bill but is another company, but the water company is contracted to collect the fees. This is standard practice in many, many TN towns. This also is not a secret or anything new. Did you not call and check on rates for water and electric before you moved here to TN? Did any of your neighbors that are also from out of state? If you looked on a site like this one, there is A LOT of info from folks that live here about the cost of living including utility costs of cities and towns all over TN. I would hate to be putting down a town or area because I didn't do my research before I moved there. I would find out if there is maybe a reason your rates are high. Is your new development on the outskirts of town? Maybe the developer of that development agree to the higher rates to make up the cost of bringing the water out that far and run the new water/sewer lines? Maybe this is at a larger rate for only the first few years after development and then the rates will return to normal? Is there anything in the paperwork from your developer about this maybe? Just throwing some options out there, hope they help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville