Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2023, 11:10 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's so adorable, what a wonderful story. I've had frogs (actually toads) living near me too. One in Scottsdale in my condo alcove and another one in New Mexico who would hibernate in a wall of the adobe house on the property. He came out every spring. Very shy. One time there was a baby but it disappeared. Probably a predator.

I love toads. In September, I was taking down the summer decorations that were hanging on my front stormdoor. They are tinsel decorations of the type you get at Dollar Tree. One was a tinsel pineapple. When I lifted the pineapple to remove it, I was shocked to see a little toad underneath it! I quickly put the pineapple back in place. The toad stayed there for a couple days! I have no idea how long it had been there, nor how on earth its sticky little feet kept it hanging on to the metal door for days, but it did. When it finally went away, I took the pineapple off the door and found two lovely toad turds under it. If you love toads, you know how big those can be! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 11:58 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
That's a great story. I wonder was he drawn to the shiny properties of the tinsel. I was kind of nervous that my dogs would get at the toads (some are lethal to dogs) but they never did catch the ones around my places.

Old 11-25-2023, 04:17 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
A couple days ago, I saw two Juncos hiding out in some overgrown vines. (Guess I won't be cutting them down anytime soon; the birds seem to love them.) But that's it. Two! Usually, we have a small flock of them.
DH has a way with birds, perhaps that's why they love our yard. But I'm certain you'll see more as winter progresses.. (We've seen them in northern Maine in the summer, so they don't all go as far as Canada, at least that seems to be true)

The other day, hiking next to a small river, we were lucky enough to see a beautiful bald eagle gliding over the river, about 15 feet above the water, lazily heading up stream, looking for fish. It was really striking, how white his tail and head was.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:25 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
DH has a way with birds, perhaps that's why they love our yard. But I'm certain you'll see more as winter progresses.. (We've seen them in northern Maine in the summer, so they don't all go as far as Canada, at least that seems to be true)
Yes, you're right, that's true. I'm in northeastern Maine. I have dark eyed juncos year-round. They stay in the woods most of summer and come out to the yard in late summer/early autumn.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:17 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
...Was feeling a little blue yesterday, and then I saw a bird rustling through a bush.

I cheered up.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:57 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
3 moose (mom and two yearlings) woke me up around 4 am. They really like grazing the narrow strip of untrimmed grass along the base of the house walls because it's the only thing halfway green and because it is under the eaves, it's mostly free of snow/ice. Unfortunately, that strip is narrower than a moose, so they lean themselves up against the siding in order to crop off every blade. Bumping, thudding and scraping noises right under the bedroom window. Sometimes they'll bed down right next to the wall to ruminate. You'd be surprised just how loud a moose's GI tract can be.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-27-2023, 06:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 911,498 times
saw a buck with one antler missing.
not broken. there was nothing there.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Our Yorkie (Sophie) has spotted a Chipmunk that may live under our deck. It runs from the deck to the bird feeders for sunflower seeds. When it runs under the deck Sophie runs on the deck looking for it.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:42 PM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
saw a buck with one antler missing.
not broken. there was nothing there.
About that time they lose them. Sometimes they only grow one back. Shed hunting is fun.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:45 PM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
A BIG female praying mantis showed up today. She's about 4 inches long. I thought it was dead until the sun came out and warmed her up then she started hunting. She gave me that ninja on guard thing when I got too close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature