Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2023, 07:55 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Lots of turkeys around lately and bald eagles.

If you want to see *A LOT* of bald eagles, wait for winter and then go up the MIssippi river and visit the various lock and dams.

My relative saw almost 700 in one viewing a few years back near Clinton, IA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 08:05 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
It’s Labor Day, and the acorns have already started dropping. It seems a week or two early for that.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:14 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
While walking a local paved trail my wife, our Yorkie and myself came up on three deer. There was a small buck, a yearling and a doe. The doe was watching us very closely while the other two was eating something. My wife was working hard to keep out Yorkie from seeing them. As we turned around to head back the doe started walking closer and closer to us. The other two were following her. This was all in what used to be a golf course. At some point the Yorkie sees them and starts to growl. The deer then backed away and went back to their eating. This all lasted about 20 minutes and it made my wife's day.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:55 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
The Mullet run is close and observed a few early arrivers this morning. Here's an example of what happens every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyI3mQowr4

Old 09-05-2023, 10:45 AM

11,069 posts, read 6,887,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It’s Labor Day, and the acorns have already started dropping. It seems a week or two early for that.
Yes, on September 1st I noticed the leaves really started falling and the air was cooler. Still having some heart but it's definitely cooler.

I don't miss the squirrels after refraining from putting out the wild bird seed (black oil). Unfortunately, the birds have started coming back and looking quizzical when they don't find seed. I do put out a little bit before the squirrels figure it out and return. This morning I noticed quite a few more birds (migration).

I might purchase a bird feeder that has a lever on it and a couple of baffles to try and keep the squirrels away. They are really destructive. Already broken one feeder and a flimsy baffle.

Funny story:
Yesterday I was sitting on the porch. A small squirrel, probably a juvenile, came close to me and started bitc--ing me out. It really was funny after I realized why he was doing it. He was really letting me have it for a few minutes. I noticed that his buddy (maybe a parent) was not too far away.

They were really spoiled these past several months but I'm just not going to allow the squirrels to eat up all the seeds. They find their way onto the small suet feeder too, and it's gone in a day.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:54 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
I installed a baffle to keep the squirrels out of my feeders and after a while they gave up trying to get to the feeders. They now eat what is dropped on the ground. But I have to put my feeders up each night or the racoons will destroy them and eat all of the bird seed (sunflower).

Old 09-06-2023, 02:18 PM

Yes, for the first two years here I really had no trouble with squirrels - especially the first year. This year has been terrible, and then that little squirt bitc-ed me out! I still laugh when I think about it. It's like Momma or Poppa told Junior "go yell at her for taking away OUR sunflower seeds"! Of course, I've seen far more juveniles around this year and therefore, more of the little so-and-so's stealing all the goods.

I will admit that it was likely a racoon or a possum (saw one at 4 a.m. once or twice) that destroyed the baffle, but the squirrels still broke the seed feeder and raided the suet feeder.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The Mullet run is close and observed a few early arrivers this morning. Here's an example of what happens every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyI3mQowr4
Whoa. I would love to see that. Sure beats the puny grunion runs of yore on the Pacific Coast even when grunion were at their most populous (1950's and 1960's).

Old 09-06-2023, 03:06 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Whoa. I would love to see that. Sure beats the puny grunion runs of yore on the Pacific Coast even when grunion were at their most populous (1950's and 1960's).
I've got my drone this year and I'm ready. I live with 100yds of the ocean and get daily reports from other fisherman. I've notice more gathering in the inlets ready to make the run.

I've seen the mullet school over a mile long and 100 lb Tarpon inadvertently beach themselves while chasing the mullet. It can be crazy to watch.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:18 PM

Cool! Please be sure to post some footage.

I was not familiar with mullet so I looked it up:

A versatile fish, the flesh is meaty and oily, substantial even. It is excellent smoked, baked, in a casserole, poached, or steamed. The roe of mullet is considered a delicacy.
Have you ever had any "roe"? I'm sure you have, what is it like? And what does mullet sell for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature