Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2023, 06:02 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times

Advertisements

On my walk yesterday, as osprey flew right over my head, scared the heck out of me!! he went into the trees on the side of the road I was on and then hopped around in there. It was mucky so I figured he was looking for some chow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 08:01 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
This morning a little armadillo came into the yard. First time I've seen one here. They're usually roadkill on the highway. He went to the thicket where the rabbit usually hangs out I hope they're coexisting peacefully. The Google tells me that armadillos have been known to kill and eat rabbits. If he did accomplish that he certainly is a better hunter than the cat that's been hanging out for weeks!

Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Well the mullet run is on near me. First sighting by me was yesterday, finger mullet (4-6" fish) school about a mile long. Surprisingly no Pelicans or larger fish working the school. Watched them pass by for about an hour while fishing in the surf.

The beach web cams sometimes catch a glimpse. I'm in between Jensen Beach and Bathtub beach on South Hutchinson Island, FL. Unfortunately my son has the drone so no footage.
https://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/hobesound/
and the live cam... https://www.surfline.com/surf-report...65fad6a7708876

Old 09-13-2023, 10:27 AM

Very cool! I thought I saw some dark spots in the waves, but that probably wasn't the fish.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:15 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Five deer in our back field, two of which appeared to be young'ins. They were running around almost like dogs, playing and chasing each other. It was a beautiful thing to see on a Sunday morning. We know that they will often hunker down for the winter in our back acreage.

I'm still seeing herons here and there, too. Grateful that I have these moments.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:17 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Crows.
Where I live are many crows. I like to observe their fantastic skills and intelligent approaches to solving problems.
Crows can recognize human faces and they do remember who was mean to them. Crows are known to attack those people, and they they may even bring in mobs of other crows to attack the person if they see them later on.
Crows have been said to be as smart as 7 y.o. children and l observed some very impressive ways they used to eliminate obstacles.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:15 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
Stepped out my front door this afternoon to run to the store. Immediately hear “chitchitchitchitchit!” From a chickadee on the feeder in my front flower bed. He was bitching at me! I said, hey, this is my house! And I bought those seeds for you, you little ingrate!

Lol they’s so silly and bold and assertive!

Old 09-18-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Stepped out my front door this afternoon to run to the store. Immediately hear “chitchitchitchitchit!” From a chickadee on the feeder in my front flower bed. He was bitching at me! I said, hey, this is my house! And I bought those seeds for you, you little ingrate!

Lol they’s so silly and bold and assertive!
LOL I do that too! Sheesh. I love the fact that that baby squirrel b**tched me out because there were no longer any seeds. It took about a week. It was really funny.

Today one of the cardinals bossed another bird (not a cardinal) away from the seeds on the porch. He must be a different DNA because they've always been skittish and easily bullied around here.

The squirrels are thankfully gone. They got used to no seeds, so now i put out a little bit each morning and the birds have started coming back. But never in the same numbers as before.

I have 2 hummers this year, only. One of them has started coming right up in my face. I had missed that.

Put the suet cakes back out 3 weeks ago, still no redbellies or downys. I hope we have some migrating south. It's not too late yet.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
The home front is busy this time of year. It's getting a lot cooler at night though day temps are still in the high 80s. And the critters are busy. They feel Fall in the air. We have a bumper crop of rabbits and the predators are hard at work. Saw a BIG yote running across the road by my place into the field crost the street with a nice fat Jack dangling limply from his jaws. Yotes doing that won't be shot at by me. They can have all the feral cats they want as well and they seem to know that. Seeing Wile E carting a cat away for a dinner date is common as well.

All the birds from largest raptors to smallest Tweetster are out grocery shopping sunup to sundown and after sundown the owls rule. We have a pair of GH owls that live close by somewhere that frequent this area. They like the feral cats too. There was a lady in the office t;uther day who is staying here short term with her husband in one of the back spaces ( I live in an RV now) who was going off on the manager because one of the owls (probably the male) snagged her caninus rodentious right in front of her. Uh huh. Out in the field in the back next to the treeline by the river is a great place to turn a rat dog loose to deposit droppings.

I can't help but find that hilarious. The ignorance of wildlife is just...dumbfounding. And then she blames the park for an owl being hungry and getting tone lock and fox 3 on her purse puppy. "Something needs to be done" she wails. LMAO yeah. Like what? Praytell. Sooooo many people just have a blank spot in their prefrontal cortex where the understanding of what "wildlife" is should be. The same people who put out food for wild animals (like coyotes ) then when they stop for whatever reason and Wile E pays a visit and monges FiFi they get all sorts of bent n twisted.

Coyotes are raiders. Total opportunists and when some ignoramus has done things to encourage their presence all of us here pay for it. Hey, Wile E is just doing what yotes do. Which is not something one wants to invite to their yard. Once they've been invited in they won't stop raiding till they go head to head with a 55 gr Hornady XTP. Trying to scare them away without bloodshed will not work. This time of year not many predators are going to pass up easy chow. I don't much care for yotes but I sure cant put any blame on them for being what they are.

A body must be fed. With Winter coming that body needs to pack on some fat. It gets quite cold here. It's hard for me to fathom people such as I've described here. I was born and raised here and lived out and away in the wild country for most of my life so the habits of my wild neighbors are burned into my brain. It seems as well that most every day here lately there's stories and video in the news where some dip$h!t has gotten stomped by a buffalo or thrashed by a bear. nature at work. saw a good one just this morning of some blithering idiot with a big bull buffalo adjusting his attitude. Yellowstone...again. LOL That sort of behavior isn't seasonal with the buffs. They're mean and nasty all year long. Grizzlies are the same and black bears are not slouches either. It leaves me aghast when people put food out for the yotes but these videos of touristas walking up on a bull buff or a sow Grizz with cubs thinking they're at a petting zoo is beyond comprehension.

One recently showed people running toward a big sow with cubs in Yellowstone. I gotta feel for the Rangers there. They got it tough with these tourists. Yes...fall is in the air. I LOVE this time of year. It's a great time to watch the critters getting ready for Winter. Doing the same thing myself so we reach.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:51 AM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Default Hawk

This was on my deck this morning. Look at the tall wooden stake.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-hawk.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature