Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
[youtube]G_tL5R8lIL0
yup-if you're going to surprise a skunk, best waddle away as fast as possible.
That's hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 08:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
We are staying in a cabin at the edge of a mangrove swamp. For twenty years we've been visiting here and been warned of the crocodiles but have never seen one.

This week DH was out for a walk and stopped to look down a moisture-filled path. Nothing there. Then he looked down at his feet and there was the snout of a ten-footer right in front of him having a little nap in the sun.

He took me back another day and there was Mr. Croc again. I looked and kept on walking. Never have I seen a crocodile at rest with such wide, gleaming eyes, Nope! That was definitely not a napping croc.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:47 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tL5R8lIL0

Well that wasn't very nice! Lol.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:06 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Was out collecting wood on our camping lot, and saw a fox, and the fox saw me, and my dog saw the fox, and the fox saw my dog. LOL We all looked at each other for a minute, and the fox calmly trotted away.

Same camping lot, I saw a bobcat coming up the ridge. When it saw me, it just turned around and went back down the ridge. lol

We used to live in an apartment complex. One day, the complex management had a tree cut down. Well, I guess that traumatized the a squirrel or two, because the squirrels got weird after that. Came home from work one day, and there was a squirrel hanging on our screen door. It was tenacious, and did NOT want to move along, not even with a lot of prodding and having wasp spray sprayed on it. (The maintenance guy did that.)

I've seen coyotes just trotting down a busy street before...but I've never had a personal encounter with one.

I've had chipmunks, squirrels and wild rabbits just run over my feet, when I'm just sitting outside. I've had a bat brush against my face. I almost stepped on a baby copperhead last September or October...have a resident possum in the back yard, and on our camping lot, we see an armadillo from time to time.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:59 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
One time in the late 90's I was living in Spokane, WA. I used to frequently go for walks in my neighborhood at night, it was a walkable neighborhood with good sidewalks, etc. Anyway, one night I was walking on the sidewalk of a street on one of these night walks, and beneath some overhanging bushes on the sidewalk in a dark spot I saw what I thought was a kitty. Being a cat lover I started to go toward it to pet it. I took a few steps in its direction and .... uh oh, it was really a skunk!! Well needless to say I didn't go any closer and I was like, "Whoa!" and backed off really really quickly.
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tL5R8lIL0

Old 12-14-2020, 08:03 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well that wasn't very nice! Lol.
Very bad manners.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Coyotes commonly come to my house or cut through the yard. If I sit outside on summer nights I know they are around. They are afraid to pass by me and stars to howl, which is too creepy to stay outside.

I was jogging one morning and came across two badgers engaged in “badger coitus” in the gully next to the road. They were quite unhappy to see me so that freaked me more than coyotes. I ran faster.

I had a guinea pig living in my honeysuckle bush who would come out to look at me in the evening. I guess it was a pet that escaped. I live in the desert and have a goldfish pond that serves as a water hole in the Serengeti. No zebras yet.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:39 PM

23,286 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very bad manners.
For all we know it was payback! Ah, the undiscovered scandals of wild "innocents" roaming our neighborhoods.

Thanks so much for linking it! I've forwarded it to numerous friends.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:53 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I found this photo from May while looking for one to use in an article. I watched them from a few hundred yards away for about an hour. The wind was in my favor so they didn't know I was there. The sow sent the cubs across the field and up a balsam fir when she heard a vehicle coming. They spent all spring eating clover in this field.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 1,735 times
Of course the are not creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature