Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 01:56 AM

15,552 posts, read 10,544,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
But I'm talking about when you're in the city, amongst civilization/residential homes, etc. My SO & I live in the city & go walking pretty regularly. One of the places we go to is the college grounds of one of my alma maters. It's a tad going up towards the mtns. There's still homes above/around, but I'm sure there's the rare times when certain wildlife can wander down. For ex, during the summertime, they'll post signs that say watch out for snakes.

Yesterday, my SO and I were there. Off in the distance, for the 1st time there, I spot a coyote walking around & I've walked there about 10-15 Sun mornings before. It was pretty far away & walked behind a building out of sight, but I still walked at a good pace back to the car & my SO, of course, went along w/ me. He says they're only maybe aggressive & actually try to bite if they're hungry and/or in a pack.

It was a funny feeling being out in the open & vulnerable with a wild animal in my vicinity. That's never happened to me before...only when I'm at the zoo in which they're in cages!

I'm a little wary of walking on that campus now. But I like walking there & I'm quite shocked no one else walks there on Sundays because it's nice landscaping w/ inclines & it feels like you're kind of out in nature (even though there are bldgs all around), but my SO & I are the only ones really.

That's the first time we've seen a coyote there, so I guess from now on, we'll have a stick &/or mace.
Yep, smack dab in the middle of a large city. I was the alley putting a bag of trash in the can, when one came around the corner of the fence. We were literally about four feet from each other. We were both startled, he trotted off and I walked back through the gate. No big deal, or at least I thought it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 PM

28,972 posts, read 30,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yep, smack dab in the middle of a large city. I was the alley putting a bag of trash in the can, when one came around the corner of the fence. We were literally about four feet from each other. We were both startled, he trotted off and I walked back through the gate. No big deal, or at least I thought it wasn't.
we are sadly moving them out and we're moving into their habitats....they are forced to live among us. I work in a pretty nice sized town, and there are deer all over the place...one morning before dawn I saw a huge buck with a beautiful rack, standing on the corner of a very busy road. Where i work, they bed down in the tall grasses during the day and they cannot be seen, and come out at night to feed.

its really a shame to see them out of their element, like that, but one thing for certain, they won't get shot. Way to close to buildings and homes including businesses for them to be hunted.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,166,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
we are sadly moving them out and we're moving into their habitats....they are forced to live among us. I work in a pretty nice sized town, and there are deer all over the place...one morning before dawn I saw a huge buck with a beautiful rack, standing on the corner of a very busy road. Where i work, they bed down in the tall grasses during the day and they cannot be seen, and come out at night to feed.

its really a shame to see them out of their element, like that, but one thing for certain, they won't get shot. Way to close to buildings and homes including businesses for them to be hunted.
Many of these large cities such as New York and Boston were never coyote habitat. They were the habitat of the timber wolf. Coyotes are largely filling the ecological niche left behind when the timber Wolf was exterminated. There is aproblem is it overpopulation of deer in suburban areas; those are a veritable banquet for coyotes. They don't necessarily need to kill the deer; even the carrion will do.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Many of these large cities such as New York and Boston were never coyote habitat. They were the habitat of the timber wolf. Coyotes are largely filling the ecological niche left behind when the timber Wolf was exterminated. There is aproblem is it overpopulation of deer in suburban areas; those are a veritable banquet for coyotes. They don't necessarily need to kill the deer; even the carrion will do.

Again I must reiterate that yotes are nothing like wolves in that they thrive around humans. They are much like rats in that regard. Bigger, more formidable and more intelligent than rats and more and more they are packing up. Packing is a fairly new trait and is a serious issue.

An old rhyme I learned as a kid comes to mind. "here's to our neighbor coyote. Who will outlive the Earth wind and sky. He will be here long after we've parted. Like the scorpion rat and the fly." Old Shoshone proverb. I can't say I'm fond of yotes. We've been at war more than peace.

There are critters here that I have firm alliances with, others a mutual non aggression treaty and others where there is a state of war. Wile E is at the top of the active war list. I don't want them hanging around period. I don't much care about a single or even a pair out in a pasture or hayfield catching rabbits and gophers. Tat is a service. But far to often my domestic animals have been targets. That gets the varmint rifles pulled out and let the bodies hit the floor.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:46 PM

1,199 posts, read 728,492 times
I mostly see raccoons which I enjoy but coyotes are scary.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,133,354 times
I see fox now and again . They are cute as a button but I do worry about some of the smaller dogs in the neighborhood .

Old 07-05-2020, 11:02 PM

12,793 posts, read 15,048,285 times
It's now July 2020.

How's the coyotes in your areas these days? My city seems to have more & more coyote sightings every few weeks. And I'm not talking about sightings just up towards the mountains. They're fearless around people & seen along streets, etc.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 PM

5,724 posts, read 4,324,868 times
Still not scary to me, I still treat them with the same respect and distance I treat all wildlife with, The most dangerous animal I've ever had to deal with is still a half-grown deer fawn.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 4,920,978 times
I heard gawd awful cat screaming noises about three months ago and went running out on my deck to chase off what I assumed to be a cat that was fighting with my semi feral cat. Turned out to be a Bobcat. I was screaming like a banshee and she (I had spotted her before in my pasture) let go of my cat - which went flying
by me. She stared at me just long enough for me to think "oh, No" before loping off in the other direction. After I got back in the house it occurred to me that I was lucky it was a bobcat and not a cougar. We have a least one around from time to time.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,324,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I heard gawd awful cat screaming noises about three months ago and went running out on my deck to chase off what I assumed to be a cat that was fighting with my semi feral cat. Turned out to be a Bobcat. I was screaming like a banshee and she (I had spotted her before in my pasture) let go of my cat - which went flying
by me. She stared at me just long enough for me to think "oh, No" before loping off in the other direction. After I got back in the house it occurred to me that I was lucky it was a bobcat and not a cougar. We have a least one around from time to time.

The end result would probably have been the same with a cougar. It would have run off, although the cat may have fared worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature