Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 1,739 times

Advertisements

Even though a lot of people find frogs creepy, I like them a lot. I have three frogs at home and one turtle. I like them a lot. I think they are exotic pets that why I encountered a lot of problems when I got them as a present for my Birthday. I didn't have a place to place them and I didn't know how to feed them, that is why my main question was What Eats a Frog? I found a site that helped me a lot. This site is based on information about the nutrition of exotic pets and wild animals. Now my frogs are happy because they have their own aquarium and I feed them with the correct food.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________
<div>
<span style="font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial;font-style:italic;" data-sheets-value="{&quot;1&quot;:2,&quot;2&quot;:&quot;Even though a lot of people find frogs creepy, I like them a lot. I have three frogs at home and one turtle. I like them a lot. I think they are exotic pets that why I encountered a lot of problems when I got them as a present for my Birthday. I didn't have a place to place them and I didn't know how to feed them, that is why my main question was What Eats a Frog? I found a site that helped me a lot. This site is based on information about the nutrition of exotic pets and wild animals. Now my frogs are happy because they have their own aquarium and I feed them with the correct food https://www.whateats.net/frog/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 01:14 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We are staying in a cabin at the edge of a mangrove swamp. For twenty years we've been visiting here and been warned of the crocodiles but have never seen one.

This week DH was out for a walk and stopped to look down a moisture-filled path. Nothing there. Then he looked down at his feet and there was the snout of a ten-footer right in front of him having a little nap in the sun.

He took me back another day and there was Mr. Croc again. I looked and kept on walking. Never have I seen a crocodile at rest with such wide, gleaming eyes, Nope! That was definitely not a napping croc.

Yikes, would want to be far, far, far away from that!

Old 12-24-2020, 01:52 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
It's beyond me why seeing a coyote or other wildlife gets an OMG what should I do !!! reaction.

Just go about your life and the coyote will do the same.

The only exceptions are its not smart to walk up on a moose or mama grizzly bear. Back away from those two. Swing a couple of feet wide of a rattlesnake, but you don't have to go around the block or run and jump into your car for the snake, but it might not be a bad idea for the mama grizzly bear (but don't run where she is watching).

If there are coyotes in your yard, don't let your 2 year old toddler out there to play unsupervised. Other than that, shoo the coyote away if you don't want him there.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,713,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's beyond me why seeing a coyote or other wildlife gets an OMG what should I do !!! reaction.

Just go about your life and the coyote will do the same.

The only exceptions are its not smart to walk up on a moose or mama grizzly bear. Back away from those two. Swing a couple of feet wide of a rattlesnake, but you don't have to go around the block or run and jump into your car for the snake, but it might not be a bad idea for the mama grizzly bear (but don't run where she is watching).

If there are coyotes in your yard, don't let your 2 year old toddler out there to play unsupervised. Other than that, shoo the coyote away if you don't want him there.
I think a lot of people are emotionally invested in the idea that hiking, backpacking, or otherwise enjoying the wilderness is an intrepid act of bravery, and inventing all manner of mortal threats from the fauna furthers that fantasy.

In reality, North America has few creatures to worry about. You're spot on about coyotes and rattlesnakes. Polar bears are probably the biggest danger, but almost no one lives where Ursus maritimus ranges. Brown bears (grizzlies, more or less) are less dangerous. Is prudence called for around them? Yes. But the facts that a sizeable portion of the public are complete idiots, millions of people (including a substantial number of the aforementioned idiots) visit Yellowstone (where brown bears roam) every year, and serious encounters there between man and brownie are still quite rare, tells me that you have to be really unlucky to truly run afoul of one of them no matter how foolish you behave.

I spend more time worrying about deer, which kill more Americans in a year than do bears in a century. But those they kill are invariably on roads and highways, not on trails. This is fresh on my mind because a couple of weeks ago at night, I had to lock up the brakes on a highway and barely missed experiencing my third such encounter.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:54 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,301,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's beyond me why seeing a coyote or other wildlife gets an OMG what should I do !!! reaction. .

A lot of people got their predator smarts from their dear old dad who read too many issues of Field and Stream.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:28 AM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
A lot of people got their predator smarts from their dear old dad who read too many issues of Field and Stream.
I happen to like wolves (I even scratched behind the ears of a related animal a few days ago) and keystone predators. The fact is that they are capable of damaging humans and livestock. The two must be balanced.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:04 PM

5,718 posts, read 4,301,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I happen to like wolves (I even scratched behind the ears of a related animal a few days ago) and keystone predators. The fact is that they are capable of damaging humans and livestock. The two must be balanced.

There is always a risk from wild animals, even squirrels. In fact you are more likely to be injured by a squirrel, skunk, deer or raccoon than a wolf. You balance that risk by being smart.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:38 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You balance that risk by being smart.
Or at least smarter than the critter. A questionable characteristic of many humans. We can be kind and chalk some situations up to inexperience, but there are others that defy the presence of brain stem activity.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:01 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
I've come close to coyotes and even a mountain lion once outside of Berekley CA. No problems with either species--both left me alone.

But I am quite fearful of loose dogs--especially breeds that might be used for fighting or guarding.
They are unpredictable.

A neighbor's German Shepherd got loose once and terrorized me...

Old 12-25-2020, 05:28 PM

35,114 posts, read 17,063,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A neighbor's German Shepherd got loose once and terrorized me...
I was out on a jog today and was terrorized by someone's Labradoodle being walked. I think he was trying to bite when he got my hands wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature