Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 PM

10 posts, read 53,331 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband, 3 children and I may be relocating to Lincoln. My husband has a possible job opportunity out there, and we are considering the move. We currently live in Southern California, and except for my family, there isn't a whole lot that's keeping us here. We can't afford to buy a house and the area where we live is hotter than he-- in the summer. Average summer temps are 115 and up. We do have a lot of fun things to do within 50 miles which helps, as my children are in kindergarten and younger.

I've read some of the posts on Lincoln and there seems to be a lot of bias for or against living in Lincoln. I'm not looking for a long diatribe on how wonderful or horrible it is, I'm just trying to find some facts.

Weather - I'm aware that Nebraska is in tornado alley, are there many tornadoes in or around Lincoln? How about floods? Are there many flash floods? How about the summers? I've heard they are humid.

Culture - I frankly don't care if the people are backwards. Raising 3 young children, I'd rather have a more conservative, family-friendly environment. Are there many things for a children to do? Is it a family-friendly environment? Are there areas that I should avoid? I'd really like to go to one of the smaller towns surrounding Lincoln. Any suggestions?

Cost of living - Is the food expensive? What taxes do you have to pay and how much? I know the housing is cheaper than CA.

Heath care - are there good physicians, denstists, hospitals, etc. in the area? This may seem like a silly question, but I've yet to find any of the above in the city I live.

Sorry for the lengthy questions and thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
If you make the move to the Lincoln area you will find it different than what you are use to in California. Just the pace of life is much slower. The schools can be large in class size or small in class size either way the school system in Nebraska is considered one ot the best in the country. Culture will not be that much of a difference as long as you can get along with a bunch of conservatives, which I am one myself. Medical services are very good and Lincoln and Omaha has some of the finest hospitals in the midwest.

As for the weather issue I have posted a web link to many other questions about what Nebraska weather is like so I will do the same for you. Enjoy surfing this web link as it does not just cover Nebraska. This web site will answer most of your questions from snow storms to tornadoes that do happen in Nebraska. Yes Lincoln does get it's share of the tornadoes.

Nebraska Weather and Climate

Welcome to Nebraska

Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Thank you for the info kosnebbear. What about taxes? Are they high? I think they've run out of things to tax us on out here. Next there's going to be a breathing tax. Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM

We have sales tax, it is at a rate of 5.5% per dollar in most of the state. In some towns and cities they have added a additional tax and it could be as high as 6.5% to 7% per dollar. We do not tax food that you buy in grocery stores, but you will be taxed on food that is cooked in cafes. The property taxes will also very with the location. We live in a small rural village about 30 minutes from Lincoln. Our property taxes are high due to the important people in this small drying up village wanting to keep a small school open. They refuse to go with other school districts in order to help with the costs of running the school so with a small tax base we have to come up with paying for a new school that they wanted and now they are losing students.
When you go looking for a place you might want to make one of your stops with the County Assessor as this office can tell you what the taxes are for the area.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM

I found this web link for you to go to.

InterLinc: Assessor/Register of Deeds: Levy Rates

Just click on the levy rates or the Summary of County Levy Lists and you can see what the levy rate is for 2006.

I hope this helps you out in getting your question answered about property taxes.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Here is the web link to the Lancaster County Assessor. They have some nice information that you might find some help from as well.

InterLinc: Lancaster County: County Assesso/Register of Deeds

Old 08-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Thank you! I really appreciate the links. I'll be sure to check them out.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,756 times
Default relocation to lincoln...

Good news, this place is great.
We moved from Sacramento in December 2006 to Omaha and I worked in Lincoln, now I work in Omaha. Both great places to live.
We cut our living expenses by around 60-70% overall.
houses are much cheaper here. the houses listed online mostly dont include the square footage of the basement and almost every house has a basement ours is 1000 sq ft on top of the 1300 sq ft on the main floor and its all finished.
property taxes are around 1.9-2% here.
People here complain a lot about it but when you consider the overall cost of living is much cheaper, its not so bad.
you can buy a nice place for around $125-150k

2300 sq ft house
Electricity around $100-110 a month
Gas-sewer Around $90-120 a month
garbage $25 a month
gasoline $2.79 a gallon
Commute time around 5-15 minutes depending on how far you live.
if you live in lincoln you can get across town lincoln in 15-20 minutes.

Culture:
People are very friendly here
everybody in my neighborhood waves we you drive by.

When i first moved here i drove outside lincoln and people waved as I drove by I thought my vehicle looked like someone else they know.
because everobody waved as if i was the mayor.
come to find out people are just friendlier here.
very conservative.
they closed target for easter sunday.
the shools in Omaha havent celebrated Haloween for 10 years from what ive been told. ( a teacher)

The weather is always changing. Its really nice here.
My wife and I like the weather here better than Sacramento.
sure it gets a little chilly in the winter. the 10 degress days are a little bad.
but there isnt 30 days straight of them.

Theres a little saying some people say, you dont like the weather today wait until tomorrow.

This is a great place to raise a family.
its all about quality family activities and such.
my cul de sac has 8 or so kids the same age and the play together all the time.

Im in the Mortgage Business here so if you would like help with buying a house let me know.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:19 AM

bbressman,

Thank you for your response. My husband is originally from PA, and misses the 4 seasons. Being a native of a So Califonia desert, the only seasons I've experienced are cool, warm, hot and hotter. He's wants to be able to go snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, take the kids tobogoning, etc. Any chance of these things in Lincoln? I've heard the snow doesn't stick. Is there any snowmobiling in the surrounding areas of Lincoln? I'm sure there's ample hunting and fishing.

thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threefrenchfries View Post
bbressman,

Thank you for your response. My husband is originally from PA, and misses the 4 seasons. Being a native of a So Califonia desert, the only seasons I've experienced are cool, warm, hot and hotter. He's wants to be able to go snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, take the kids tobogoning, etc. Any chance of these things in Lincoln? I've heard the snow doesn't stick. Is there any snowmobiling in the surrounding areas of Lincoln? I'm sure there's ample hunting and fishing.

thanks!
LOL Snowmobiling is more common in the Upper Midwest in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Yes, Nebraska can get snowstorms in the winter, but typically the snow does not last too long. The reason is that downslope westerly winds can occur in the winter, and that warms the temperatures up quite a bit. It could be 25F for a high one day, and then the next day could be 50F. The weather is highly variable in Nebraska, but typically the persistant very cold weather in winter is confined to the Upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska