Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 36,600 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I may be moving to Hastings, NE in a couple of months for a job. I've done some readings here and looked up some videos on youtube.

i did use the search tool here to find info on Hastings, but those information were written a long time ago, so they could be outdated as we're living in a time when technologies is gaining fast and so are other developments worldwide.

info on things such as housing, food, crime rate, gun laws, hunting, fishing, weather, things to do for fun, oil pipeline, live stock laws, exotic pet laws, and such... anything really

any information on the town/city is greatly appreciate it and i thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuZo View Post
Hi there,
I may be moving to Hastings, NE in a couple of months for a job. I've done some readings here and looked up some videos on youtube.

i did use the search tool here to find info on Hastings, but those information were written a long time ago, so they could be outdated as we're living in a time when technologies is gaining fast and so are other developments worldwide.

info on things such as housing, food, crime rate, gun laws, hunting, fishing, weather, things to do for fun, oil pipeline, live stock laws, exotic pet laws, and such... anything really

any information on the town/city is greatly appreciate it and i thank you in advance.
That's a pretty broad question...

I lived in Hastings for 13 years and really liked it. It is a nice town with good services. The housing is pretty cheap and you should be able to find rentals or somes for sale quickly. There are a couple of good local places to eat--although many of those have changed hands since I left. Of course you have a good variety of chain places as well.

The crime rate is probably average for a city that size in NE. Which means it is going to be much lower than anywhere else.

Hastings has no special gun laws over and above the state laws.

I don't know much about hunting in the area. I do know that you are going to have to travel a bit for fishing. There are some small lakes nearby that produce some fish, but for what I like, I would have to travel 2-3 hours.

Nebraska is a four-season state. My only complaint about weather in that area is the high humidity in the summer--partially due to the irrigated corn that dominates that region. However, depending on where you are coming from, that may be no big deal.

Fun could depend on your age, family, etc.

I'm pretty sure you can't have livestock in town, and I would be there are some restrictions on exotic pets. Out in the country, state laws would apply.

Some things you could look at would include the Hastings Area Chamber Hastings Area Chamber of Commerce - Home, Visitors Bureau Adams County Convention and Visitors Bureau - Home, And City Website www.cityofhastings.org to find more info!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 PM

Hi there,
thanks for your response.

I'm not sure why Hastings, NE is so much against having pets. most of the housing that i've come across do not allow pets. I was just curious about the exotic pets law, as i will not be keeping anything exotic. I am however would like to get a medium to large size dog to keep me company.

I would also like to raise a few hens for eggs and possibly rabbits for meat. For such a small town, they're so much city like in their ways with animals? at least that's what it sounded to me.

i'll look more into it and again, i appreciate your response.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM

350 posts, read 740,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuZo View Post
Hi there,
thanks for your response.

I'm not sure why Hastings, NE is so much against having pets. most of the housing that i've come across do not allow pets. I was just curious about the exotic pets law, as i will not be keeping anything exotic. I am however would like to get a medium to large size dog to keep me company.

I would also like to raise a few hens for eggs and possibly rabbits for meat. For such a small town, they're so much city like in their ways with animals? at least that's what it sounded to me.

i'll look more into it and again, i appreciate your response.
Trust me it's not Hastings that is so against having pets it is most landlords across the country. They don't want to deal with the damage that pets can potentially cause even if most pets don't cause this type of damage. They don't want to deal with tenants failing to pick up after their pets. Consequently it is very hard to find rentals that allow pets, anywhere.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,700 times
Yep, it is getting harder and harder to find rentals anywhere that allow pets--especially dogs and cats--for the above reasons. Yet, more and more hotels seem to allow them...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 18,609 times
Hastings is a good place to live. If you rent a house, the dog could be a problem. But if you buy you'll be fine. There's also a dog park on the south side of town near the Sara Lee bakery. Do you have a family? Because the public schools are alright here. At least the elementary schools and the middle school are. The high school is not as nice. There are several local restaurants and all of the fast food places. We also just got an Applebee's. The parks are really improving. There are a lot of youth sports leagues and fitness classes at the two YMCAs. Hastings also has a nice sized water park. In the summer there is the Adams County Fair which has rides, concerts, food. It's really a community thing. There's a speedway of that's your thing. Hastings lake has disk golf and also boat/jet ski access if you like that. There's several miles of bike path/ running trail through the city. Hastings is a good place to raise a family. It may not be as exciting for someone in their 20's. And if your concerned about the lack of restaurants/shopping (which there kinda is for shopping) Grand Island is just 15 minutes north. And Lincoln about an hour and a half east. As for exotic pets.. I'm not sure. And the chickens I think you can have a maximum of like.. 3. Maybe. I've never seen any chickens running through town though. (: If you have any other questions just ask!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 AM

thanks for the response, but it turns out that i'm not getting a job there after all. I did visit the town and it seems really nice. i love the houses there. it would be nice to own one if i did land the job there, but i guess not.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,296 times
Lived in Hastings for a year, and would be fine going back. It is a very nice small town, very friendly feel, even for coming from out of state. Having two and a half colleges in town helps; there's enough out of town folks to keep it from ever feeling too isolated.

Nice little downtown with some real neat local businesses (try Back Alley Bakery), some good shopping with decent beer selection (Allen's). Affordable and spacious YMCA, some good parks, affordable rent. Central Community College is a fantastic school to attend.

Hastings is good small town living defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska