Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Lake McConahay is over half dried up I believe. Houses are over 200ft from the shoreline now and very few places accessible for loading boats.
So....it's probably closer to 30-40 Miles of shoreline if it originally had 75.
Hi Steve - Have you been out to Big Mac lately? It's been a few years since I've been there. Is Nebraska in a big-time drought or something? McConnauhy would always have a couple of lower years and then it would get extra full. Just depends on the Wyoming snowpack. It's a HUGE lake. Have you ever been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Western Nebraska is in a big drought and Big Mac is hurting pretty big time. While the eastern part of the state seems to be getting plenty of rain/snow the west just can't get a break, in terms of precipitation and runoff from further west.

I agree with all that Nebraska does not do a good job at all in the area of tourism, partially because of natural handicap, but party because of poor planning and exploitation. There is really no reason that a worlds of fun type amusement park couldn't exist in between Omaha and Lincoln. Maybe not quite as big as worlds of fun but a smaller version of it would certainly be sustainable.

I agree that one of the keys is to get people into the state for a day or two and then you'd start to get people staying to see the sites that are a little more off the beaten trail. But as it is now...if someone wants to just go "outdoorsy" then they go to the Blackhills, Yellowstone, or the Rockies. If we had something like a worlds of fun I think you could turn Nebraska into a nice 3 day trip.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I believe that their is a highly rated golf course that is in the middle of the Sand Hills region. However, it is in a very isolated location that is not that easy to get to. I feel that the Sand Hills are the US version of the Australian Outback. The counties that make up the Sand Hills have some of the lowest population densities in the US, and it is like going back in time to the frontier days again. The landscape is also rugged and much more western than you might expect. Overall, I give the Sand Hills an A+ for natural beauty, remoteness, and friendly people.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM

Plains,

The golf course you speak of is in Mullen. Its world class and many big big stars and golfing legends frequent the place. I think (but am not positive) that they built a small landing strip near by to accommodate the big wigs.

Actually, many of the world's top golf course designers have on many occasions stated that the Nebraska Sandhills are about the world's best place to design and build a course, apparently because of the way the land rolls and is easily molded to fit your needs. I think it was Arnold Palmer who said, "if the Nebraska Sandhills had more population and cities with more amenities it would be a world renown golfing mecca.

That brings up a good point. Las Vegas sprouted up in the middle of no where. Why not an expansive golfing/amusement resort built in the middle of Nebraska.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 PM

Unfortunately even some of the big amusement parks have a tough time operating in the black. I've heard of several "Flags" that are really struggling. I'm not sure Nebraska's weather would be mild enough for long enough. However, even if an amusement park doesn't come in, there are still many things to see and do in Nebraska. I was trying to remember - isn't there a really cool zoo and aquarium in Omaha? Also, I think some people would really enjoy an "old west/pioneer" adventure. There's lots of things Nebraska could promote.

I think it's so sad to see some of the small towns dying. They could be the quintessential "good life". Nebraska City has kind of hit of that type of Main Street. How's that town doing?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Plains,

The golf course you speak of is in Mullen. Its world class and many big big stars and golfing legends frequent the place. I think (but am not positive) that they built a small landing strip near by to accommodate the big wigs.

Actually, many of the world's top golf course designers have on many occasions stated that the Nebraska Sandhills are about the world's best place to design and build a course, apparently because of the way the land rolls and is easily molded to fit your needs. I think it was Arnold Palmer who said, "if the Nebraska Sandhills had more population and cities with more amenities it would be a world renown golfing mecca.

That brings up a good point. Las Vegas sprouted up in the middle of no where. Why not an expansive golfing/amusement resort built in the middle of Nebraska.
I kind of like the fact that the Sand Hills are remote and fairly desolate. It is the isolation and rural character of the region that makes it so great. I doubt that the Sand Hills region could generate enough interest for a large-scale development project when most areas are very far away from interstate highways. Also, most counties have fewer than 1,000 people and that does not lead to a huge creation of non-farm employment unless their is a very good reason.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Unfortunately even some of the big amusement parks have a tough time operating in the black. I've heard of several "Flags" that are really struggling. I'm not sure Nebraska's weather would be mild enough for long enough. However, even if an amusement park doesn't come in, there are still many things to see and do in Nebraska. I was trying to remember - isn't there a really cool zoo and aquarium in Omaha? Also, I think some people would really enjoy an "old west/pioneer" adventure. There's lots of things Nebraska could promote.

I think it's so sad to see some of the small towns dying. They could be the quintessential "good life". Nebraska City has kind of hit of that type of Main Street. How's that town doing?
Nebraska City is doing better than most smaller towns. This is because it is not that far away from the Omaha metro area. The location near the Missouri River is also nice. The more isolated small towns that are located far away from the highways tend to lose population at a very fast rate. In fact, Nebraska should probably think about consolidating some of the Sand Hills counties that have fewer than 500 people.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Certainly Nebraska counties couldn't sustain a large amusement park like resort by themselves. I was suggesting that the "resort" be something significant enough to get people from Kansas, Colorado, S.D., and Wyoming to travel to it. Presented almost like an oasis in the middle of the country. However, the weather probably is the nail in the coffin. Mainly just wishful thinking on my part.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM

I think some of the rural communities could be quaint and inviting. They just need to capitalize on their history and character, with some unique shops. Obviously if a town is too "out in the boonies" that won't work, but if it were close enough to I-80 or Lincoln, Omaha, or the Kearney areas it might work.

And I think Nebraska could advertise more. I think most people from other parts of the country have no idea what Nebraska has to offer. Maybe even some sort of a "safari" type outfitters/adventure for the city folk. Seriously, though. I think some urban people would love to experience a real trail ride or covered wagon trek or a sandhills birdwatching expedition. Nebraska needs to capitalize on its strengths instead of trying to imitate the big city boys. It's Nebraska's lack of population and true wilderness that may actually be it's biggest tourist draw.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Plains,

Too much of a conservative state. That kind of vision just doesn't exist in Nebraska with anyone who can implement anything remotely close to what you mentioned. Too bad I think. Like I mentioned before, the proposed lake between Omaha and Lincoln that was shot down, would have been a huge jump for Nebraska's tourism industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska