Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,894 times

Advertisements

i read this review on some website - but it seems a little too rosy to be real: [url=http://www.loghome.com/great_place_to_build_nebraska_city/articles/2462]Log Home .com - Great Places | Nebraska City, NE | Birthplace of Arbor Day[/url]

you guys live there or near there, right? is it really like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 PM

475 posts, read 2,235,435 times
With Arbor Day Lodge and Farm... it's pretty well become a local tourist destination... so it stands to reason that the towns people are going to be warm and friendly. Nebraska City has a very nice small town downtown district... lots of antiques. Of course, being in the Missouri River valley, like most of eastern Nebraska... you'll find plenty of treed, rolling hills (and yes, apple orchards). Nebraska doesn't all look like what you see along I-80 (running alongside the very flat and featureless Platte River valley... which belies Nebraska's scenery elsewhere).

So, while I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for when you ask if it is really 'like this'... I can verify that it is a wonderful place to visit... perhaps even live (if you don't have to live in closer proximity to higher paying jobs ... such as myself).

Old 01-19-2008, 03:10 PM

98 posts, read 395,183 times
IMHO, Nebraska City is a great place to visit, but not to live. After you've been to Arbor Day Lodge, the apple orchards, wineries, and the Apple Jack Festival a few times, there isn't much more. It's not like Neb City is picture perfect year round though.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,632 times
Default ..

no place is perfect year round...

But, when it comes to nature and historical value and being relatively near a big city, it defenitely is way, way, way better than most cities it's size.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,927,394 times
I have been in the area and it has river bluffs and in generally hilly outside of the river valley. There are quite a few trees near the river. It is a pretty area in September and when it is green.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM

852 posts, read 1,358,196 times
Default Nebraska City

I've been to Nebraska City a handful of times and I enjoy its charm. It's relatively small but the people are real nice and its a beautiful area to visit. Not sure I'd want to live there but I'm a city boy - at least as much of a city boy that I can be living in Omaha. I do plan to make it back there again this fall and stay at the bed and breakfast.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 AM

45 posts, read 94,180 times
Nebraska City is a wonderful small town with great festivals, a good high school, Arbor Lodge and trees galore. It's close to Peru St College and LIncoln and Omaha. After five years teaching in Dallas I am moving back!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,560,920 times
I have no desire to move from where I am, but if I were to move out from the metro into a smaller town it is one place I would consider...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:12 PM

40 posts, read 110,873 times
My wife and I just visited Neb. City last week. We usually go there every year in the fall. Beautiful town, friendly people, nice looking parks and neighborhoods, three great golf courses, great local shops and tourist attractions. Honestly, I've been a Nebraskan for 34 years and have been all over the state and I can tell you that Nebraska City is by far and away the best small town in the entire state!! It's not even a close race! (FYI, I'm defining small town as any community under 15,000 people.) With it's proximity to Omaha and Lincoln, it is ideally located, too. We love Sunday brunch at the Lied Lodge!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM

514 posts, read 765,690 times
My high school classmate from '62 just visited there a couple of weeks ago, also. I was in Lincoln in August and visiting NE City was the only thing on my list that I didn't get to do. If we were to retire in NE, NE City would be one of the first places I would look. I have great memories from visiting there as a kid. And I love the wide Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska