Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM

24 posts, read 110,155 times

Advertisements

I was just curious as to what everyone thinks of an Icon within their communities. Is it a store that is symbolic, such as Cabela's is to Sidney, even though I know Cabela's really started at a kitchen table in Chappell, NE? Or is it like Kool-Aid being "invented" in Hastings?

If I am going to anyone one town, or an area out by your hometown, what is your hometown most recognized for?

HA...I feel like I am in my old news reporter days, interviewing people!

My hometown of Shelton, NE is know for having the very first KNOWN newspaper west of the Missouri River...the Huntsman's Echo. At least that is what I proclaim it is known for anyway!

I'd be very interested in hearing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Maybe someone famous came from your hometown????

I love to travel the off roads of Nebraska, and stop in little towns to see what the feel of the town is. So just curious what it is about YOUR hometown that it is best known for!

Remember driving down to Lincoln from Wisner for Husker games and a must stop along the route was in Prague for kolaches' and coffee. My mothers hometown of Hyannis had the Old Timer's Rodeo each year. Burwell has their HUGE rodeo...as the locals will say...THEE Rodeo of Nebraska!

Look forward to reading answers!!

I remember a guy from Henderson I beleive a few years ago, maybe more than a few years traveling to EVERY town in this state, I think he published a book with something about each town??? Anyone remember this...Jerry (I can't remember his last name)

Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
  • Greenwood has to be Baker's Chocolate... have to stop there every time I drive through.
  • Bassett has to be the RangeLand Cafe... that place hasn't changed in the 40 years I rememebr popping in - not even the tables, chairs or the paintings on the walls (especially the large one behind the counter)

Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
St. Libory for melons
Nebraska City for apples and Arbor Day
Carhenge in Alliance
Irish in O'neill
Czechs in Wilbur
Polish in Loup City
German in Eustis
Pioneer Village in Minden
Worlds Largest Porch Swing in Hebron
Scottsbluff National Monument for Scottsbluff/Gering (alot of people also associate Chimney Rock with it, although its closer to Bayard)
4th of July for Seward

tduncan, you might find this interesting:
NTV - KHGI/KWNB/WSWS-CA - Where your news comes first. - Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings, Lincoln | Road Less Traveled (http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/category.asp?C=106820&nav=menu605_5_3 - broken link)

Its called the Road Less traveled, and they are featuring every town in the viewing area, one a week.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM

yeah, the Road Less Traveled is a decent view of towns as up until the last year, I lived in Kearney. I was just hoping to see what the little hidden secrets were from people on here.

St. Libory melons are unbelievable for sure!!!! Have celebrated a few St. Paddy's Day's in O'Neill for sure and of course, you have to go to Pioneer Village at least once in life!!! Minden is also an awesome "Christmas City' My grandmother lived in Minden for years and years, so I seen that so much and loved it every year!

Never new abou the largest porch swing though!

Dick Cavett for a time lived in Gibbon, I know his grandmother lived there her entire life

Dave, I have to totally agree with you, the Rangeland Cafe is a must stop, for food and atmosphere!!! We always stop there on our way to our annual Pheasant Hunting trip to S. Dakota!

Springview has a little restaurant (can't think of the name off hand) but that is amazing food!!!! and a neat little town.

Of course Paxton, you have to stop in at Ole's Big Game Lounge

Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Chances R and the water tower in York
Norfolk has Johhny Carson
Wahoo was Lettermans "home office"
Brownville has the riverboat and historic district
Halsey and the National Forest (largest hand-planted isn't it?)
Edgar and the Sugar Shack
North Loup and Popcorn
Howells has an Olympic wrestler (can't think of the name)
Mullen I now think of those golf courses

By the way the Junk Juant is this weekend. Amazing how this has grown to emcompass most of central Nebraska. Good way to see the towns and maybe find a bargain or to. Last year Elba painted there main street yellow, to go with their theme of "Follow the Yellow Brick Road".
Nebraska's Junk Jaunt

Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Soda Fountain in the Drug Store in Springfield

Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Hey, maybe these are all stretch's but I know Naponee, NE is the birthplace of David Janssen, an older TV star from shows like the Fugative, and many other "flicks" and Western Movie BAD GUY Pierce Lyden is associated with Franklin, NE

Be interesting to see what else is out there in the minds of fellow City-Data bloggers

Old 09-24-2008, 10:29 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Quote:
My hometown of Shelton, NE is know for having the very first KNOWN newspaper west of the Missouri River...the Huntsman's Echo. At least that is what I proclaim it is known for anyway!
Revise that distinction to first newspaper west of Omaha/Bellevue... and you'd be correct.

For Omaha...

Of what the American Film Institute calls the top 25 actors of all time... 3 of the top 6 were born in or called Omaha home... #4 Brando (native), #5 Astaire (native), #6 Fonda (resident) ... Brando and Fonda were both active members of the Omaha Community Playhouse before going on to find fame.

Of course Omaha is probably best known for Omaha Steaks, Mutual of Omaha... and the Oracle of Omaha.

Other misc. distinctions...

Home to College World Series (for past 50+ and next 25 years)
Hosted a world's fair in 1898 which drew more than 1 million visitors
Rolling Stone magazine recently called Omaha the nation's hot spot for Indie music
Reuben sandwich 'invented' at Omaha's Blackstone Hotel.
Only city in the nation which could effectively give a presidential candidate a single electoral vote, possibly in opposition to those of the rest of the state. The O'Bama campaign has taken note of this as well (Democrats have historically written off Nebraska).

Other factoids...

Only metro under 1 million with 4 Fortune 500 headquarters
Only metro under 1 million with 2 university medical schools/hospitals
Home to nation's largest railroad (Union Pacific)
Home to nation's largest online stock trading firm (TD Ameritrade)
Home to one of the nation's largest food conglomerates (Con Agra)
Home to one of the nation's largest transportation companies (Werner Enterprises)
Home to 3 of the top 20 architectural/design firms in the nation (Leo Daly, HDR, DLR Group)
Home to over 30 insurance companies (Mutual of Omaha, Physicians Mutual, Woodmen of the World, etc, etc)
Home of the joint military branch Strategic Command at Offutt Air Base (12,000 military and civilian personnel)
Creighton ranked top non-doctoral university in the Midwest by US News and World Report
Largest population of Sudanese refugees in the US
Omaha ranks 8th in per capita billionaires and F500 companies (among 50 LARGEST cities)

More contemporary celebrities... Gabrielle Union (actress), Andy Roddick (tennis), Alexander Payne (director), Nick Nolte (actor), Chip Davis (musician), Ahman Green (football), Chris Klein (actor), Conor Oberst (musician), John Beasley (actor), ...

Last edited by star_gazer; 09-24-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM

I was not aware of Brando and Astaire at all.

Steaks...well while Omaha Steaks are wonderful, the best steaks in this state come from the Morgan Ranch near Taylor and Burwell, NE. They raise Wagyu Cattle, of which you can learn just what Wagyu Beef is from their website, but "googling" Morgan Ranch!

There are so many things about Omaha that I enjoy, and so many things to do that it would be so hard to list them..unless you had the time, but my all-time favorite place in that City is Henry-Doorly...oh and I just love the Western-Heritage Museum, of course the Old-Market is always enjoyable too!

That city has grown west so much that I don't know a thing about West Omaha. It's crazy how fast it grows

I've not been to the Union Pacific Museum in years, I'd have to assume that it has greatly expanded with it's History as well??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska