Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 29,304 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on either or both of these high schools, and if there are any major differences between the two. Specifically, whether one has more of a focus on sports, arts or academics, and whether there is a difference in philosophy between the two schools (and the two prinicpals) in terms of how they are run.

Would a bright but not particularly motivated student do better at one of these schools than the other?

Are either of these schools friendlier to new students (or set up better to be able to handle newly transferred students)?

And what is the perceived reputation, for lack of a better word, of these two schools? (For example, ultra-competitive, party school, caring about the student as a whole, driven by test scores, ulra-cliqueish, etc.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Both are good schools.

Papillion has decades of experience of accepting transfers (due to military impact on community), so I would not worry about that at all.

The general dividing line between the attendance area of each is the Papio Creek... so, the "old" school, or "north", or "Monarchs" (all same school - the original high school) serves all of LaVista and the northern half of Papillion... the "new" school, or "south" or "Titans" (all same school - built 6 years ago) serves only the southern portion of Papillion.

Both have strong sports programs (Monarchs are probably slightly better, but not by much - unless softball where Monarchs dominate). They share a swim team and the pool is at the Monarchs schoool. They share a football stadium and its at the Titan's school. Both have strong Baseball and Football programs.

Both are strong in the arts (drama, music, band, etc), but marching band is probably slightly stronger at Titans.

Titans have a Jr ROTC program (Navy), don't think Monarchs have one.

Both have DECA, but Titans is stronger.

Big difference is the head principal... I personally like the Monarch's principal much much better... he's great with all kids - great rapport and respect the kids have for him - very fair gentleman (probably mid 50's)... Don't care for the Titan's principal - very concerned with "image" so tends to be a little more dictorial and has a very well defined box - if a student stays within the lines of those box, then she's a very good principal - if a student challenges the line of the box at all then probably won't have a very good high school experience.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks so much for all the great info, Dave1215. The principal issue is interesting for us because, though we have a good kid, challenging the line of the box will most likely happen.

Appreciate all the other info on sports, academics, etc., as well.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl07 View Post
Thanks so much for all the great info, Dave1215. The principal issue is interesting for us because, though we have a good kid, challenging the line of the box will most likely happen.

Appreciate all the other info on sports, academics, etc., as well.
If you have a "good" kid that is also involved in other school sponsored activities and touches the line just once in awhile - you'll be good... issue will be if the kids touches the line quite a bit and tries to push the line out a little.

One other thing... Band programs are strong in both schools, from a Marching Band perspective the South school guy is a little more serious/competitive than the Monarch person.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 PM

No, our "good" kid is not that good! :-) The lines will be pushed out a little.

Also, I think I should have said "good-natured". Good is relative, and one person's good may be another person's "bad."

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl07 View Post
No, our "good" kid is not that good! :-) The lines will be pushed out a little.

Also, I think I should have said "good-natured". Good is relative, and one person's good may be another person's "bad."
I can relate - I had one...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
PLV is a great school, I have found the teachers to be involved, caring and even excited to teach. The staff has also been great. I really can't say enough great things about them. Now, I have one dd there and she is quiet and an honors student -- hates sports so I can't really comment on that.
As to the Titans.....beautiful brand new building. Also, the kids that I know that are going there are very...preoccupied with money and status. It could be just them, I don't really know.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 AM

This site has 12 reviews of South (Titans)
Parent Reviews of Papillion-La Vista South High School - Papillion, Nebraska - NE

and 5 reviews for old school (Monarchs)
Parent Reviews of Papillion-La Vista Senior High School - Papillion, Nebraska - NE

Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the info, camping! and Dave1215 -- that gives me more to think about.

I realize this is slightly off-topic, but what are the big differences between PLV and high schools like Gretna and Millard North? Millard North is huge and has the IB, so I'm assuming that would attract super-competitive kids looking for that? Gretna is much smaller than Millard and PLV, and seems set in a more rural area (although I read it is growing?). Would they be likely to see as many new kids coming in? And what would be the flavor/culture (for lack of a better word) of these schools?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska