Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times

Advertisements

I was surprised there is no direct freeway/interstate from the Las Vegas Metro up to the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area, does anyone know if there are any future plans for such a road? Or, is this route not heavily travled enough for a need for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
I hope not . . .

. . . and I haven't heard of any plans. Then again, I haven't researched the issue, either.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Wasn't there at one time a proposed interstate (I-13?) that would branch off of I-5 somewhere in the Mt. Shasta area of California and then go through Reno, Carson City, Las Vegas, and end in Phoenix?

I know that a link from Reno to Carson City is being worked on as Carson is one of the few state capitals without a connection to an interstate.

I'm thinking it will be decades before they can justify building a freeway between Reno and Las Vegas as traffic at the present just can't justify such an expenditure.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:52 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
if they put in a freeway, they'll put in hwy patrol and then you can't drive 100mph........if you were so inclined....I, of course, NEVER exceed the posted speed limit.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I know that a link from Reno to Carson City is being worked on as Carson is one of the few state capitals without a connection to an interstate.
Yeah, they're working on that thing again after a long delay. It comes down through Reno and then joins back up with the old US 395 through the Washoe Valley. Once it hits the north end of Carson City, it becomes a freeway again until it gets to the south part of Carson City and ends. It'll be a few more years until they have that middle portion built and in use.

Although it has a different number assigned to it since it's a spur off of I80, it's basicly a freeway replacement for Highway 395. It more or less parallels the old US 395.

I haven't heard of any extensions beyond Carson City anywhere in the near future. I certainly hope it doesn't head further south into Douglas while I'm around. It's nice not having a freeway down here.

Perhaps one day a long time from now, it might have some connection to a future freeway into Las Vegas. However, I think I'll be long dead by the time that happens.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:03 AM

31 posts, read 165,311 times
You're talking about almost 500 miles between LV and Reno, thru an area that just is'nt heaviliy traveled. I dont see it happening anytime soon.....besides, the Feds need the money to waste in Iraq!!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
95 up south of Tonopah can have one car every 5 minutes...and that during the day. I don't think it will ever qualify for freeway treatment.

Be much more sensible to move the Capitol south. Then we could knock off half or two thirds of the traffic on the route.

The 395 parallel is actually a sad story. Route planning by NIMBY. The route chosen was simply the one no one objected to. It is far too expensive and unneccessary and even a little dangerous in spots and will have to be closed to some vehicles in strong weather.

What was really needed was an upgrade of 395..but that was fought by the locals. So we end up with a multiple million waste that won't be as good as an upgraded 395.

The right thing to do is simply cut off all new highway expenditures in the north for 10 or 20 years. Let Vegas catch up.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Wow, Olecapt you are extremeley Vegas biased. First of all the capitol will never and should never move.

To say that we shouldn't spend money in the north? Reno has been growing also, we have our own set off traffic problems.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Wow, Olecapt you are extremeley Vegas biased. First of all the capitol will never and should never move.

To say that we shouldn't spend money in the north? Reno has been growing also, we have our own set off traffic problems.

Well of course I am. I live there. And you and the north gang have been screwing Las Vegas for years and years.

But the worm turns. And I think it would be great to locate the Capitol at say Freemont and 10th. Urban renewal at its best.

And maybe we could give Washoe and Douglas to CA.

Gibbons and Raggio going to figure out how to fund the State from local revenues...can't you spell steal from Clark County.

Down with all the northern bandits.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I was surprised there is no direct freeway/interstate from the Las Vegas Metro up to the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area, does anyone know if there are any future plans for such a road? Or, is this route not heavily travled enough for a need for this?
While the present route options may not be the most direct, Reno to LV is one of the easier drives I have ever made. Very little traffic, decent roads, and weather rarely is of concern. I would guess most traffic to/from both Reno and LV is East/West, rather than North/South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada