Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,797,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Lyft does take fees out of both ends. If your app says 12, at the end of the ride, mine will say 10.10 There's a 1.90 service fee passengers pay above the ride cost.
I understand that. The point is that I will pay $12. Now if I was told that I would pay $10.10 at the end of my ride and then I'm hit with the pick up fee, I would be a little annoyed. But as I've said UBER and Lyft don't do that, they just tell me $12. I may not know how the $12 is sliced and for the most part, as a consumer, I don't care. What matters to me most is that I'm not paying $24 for same ride.

I would have more sympathy for current cab drivers if they ever acknowledged why most people prefer these apps and then tried to lobby their employers to adopt changes that would make them as attractive. All I ever see is them trying to scare people into thinking that their driver is the next Ted Bundy, or that I need to care that drivers need to have insurance that won't apply to me because it's only for when I'm not in a driver's car, or that it's my fault that I get long hauled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie1 View Post
Which makes you a sociopath.
Am I a sociopath for thinking cab company owners are scum of the earth? Keep it up Mr. Cabbie, you entertain me with your lies and tales of woe for all who dare drive for Uber or Lyft because we know they just make you look like a whining fool.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 PM

120 posts, read 175,547 times
Quote:
The cab drivers here are really trying their best to misinform people.

On a 10 dollar fare, I get 7.50 right off the bat. If I do the required amount of runs, I get most of the 2.50 back. Basically, if I get the bonus, I get 95% of the fare, and Lyft gets 5%

You're trying to tell us all that we only get 6% total. You're lying.

Here is a break down. My TAKE home is at the top. You can see how much lyft riders paid. How much I was tipped in app. How much the lyft fees are. How much the bonus is. How many hours I worked for it.

Stop your lying.
It's sad that as a small business owner you don't know the difference between GROSS and NET.

Do you file taxes quarterly, yearly, or not at all?

Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Here in SD I can take Uber to anywhere within 10 miles and it's less than 10 bucks. I've never waited more than 5 minutes to be picked up. It's a bar hopping dream.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I do know. The "if anything" refers to some cities giving the total breakdown of the fare and others just giving you total fare. In either case I just pay the amount at the end.

Again do you have proof that people are charged more that what the app says at the end of the ride?
"if anything": used for saying how someone or something is different when you are not sure whether there really is any change or difference.

What I'm pointing out (and proven) is rideshare customers are being charged fees and don't know it.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Lyft does take fees out of both ends. If your app says 12, at the end of the ride, mine will say 10.10 There's a 1.90 service fee passengers pay above the ride cost.
And there we have it!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I will say that Uber and Lyft have crap pricing policies. They undercharge and it hurts the drivers and themselves.
Their initial rates were great. The drivers were making money. The passengers were happy to be out of cabs. They would have hit profit sooner than later. But they kept dropping prices for no reason at all. Their initial prices were still well under the cab rates and people were using them just fine.

My biggest gripe is their cancellation policy. Sometimes you end up driving a good distance to pick someone up only to have them cancel. You lose money in gas, time, and other potential rides. I would like to see them give a 30-45 second window to cancel for free then charge to cancel and give that to the driver they inconvenienced. I have had people cancel with me in their driveway.

But other than a couple minor things like that, it's been pretty good for me. Construction is hit or miss and Lyft is a great filler. Without Lyft I don't know what I would do between projects.
It's also allowed me to do side fabrication work. If I get a 1 or 2 day fab job, I can just not drive lyft those days and build the thing that needs to be built then go back to lyft. If not for that, I'd either have to make people wait for the weekends, or turn down the job.
How does undercharging hurt Lyft? You can run the entire company with an iPhone and rented servers.

You could stay home and make $410.00/wk which is more than your making working.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie1 View Post
-Let's do the weekly math:

Car Payment $150.00

Ins. $100.00

Fuel $100.00

Taxes $195.50

Healthcare Ins. $150.00

Vehicle replacement fund $100.00

Breakdown fund $50.00

Your NET (take home) is $304.50 or $7.61/hr based on a 40 hour work week.

-Do you pay taxes on your tips? Vegas Cab Drivers pay a 23% tip tax to Uncle Sam

-In cash payment I meant customers without an app. pay the ride share driver a cash payment for the ride....OFF APP.

-If one has to wait in a long cab line, take it up with the hotel.

-I don't drive a dirty cab. My cab is a 2017 Genesis.

-Cab Drivers take rideshare because we can't afford cabs anymore. Rideshare has taken 10,000 Cab Drivers Statewide and 54,000 of their own drivers and reduced them to at or below minimum wage folks.

-Cabs don't 'surge price' such as convention center to the Encore (across the street) $70.00. EDC to the strip, $400.00.

-Cabs didn't surge price after the two recent terrorist attacks in the UK, Uber did.

Uber criticized for surge pricing after London terror attack - Jun. 4, 2017

Rideshare in Vegas is waiting for Cab Companies to start leasing. On a recent trip to San Francisco I wanted to try Uber, all three times a cab showed up. Good luck!
Actuzlly Cabbie you are more off than he is. You are using absolute loaded numbers. That is of course hopelessly wrong.

He is running an incremental business...not a free standing one. And he would pay most of his car cost and most of his insurance whether he drove or not. Taxes and Health care are the same. He may have some incremental costs but not the ones you listed. So I would guess his costs are 1/3 or so of your claim.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Am I a sociopath for thinking cab company owners are scum of the earth? Keep it up Mr. Cabbie, you entertain me with your lies and tales of woe for all who dare drive for Uber or Lyft because we know they just make you look like a whining fool.
You're a sociopath because you don't care enough to give your money to an industry that doesn't screw over the people doing the work.

Are the nine cab company owners scum of the earth? Absolutely! But I work for the least scummiest. I only have to work 18-8 hour shifts per month. My healthcare insurance, eye, dental, life insurance costs me $54.00/mo., which was ZERO before rideshare.

You seem to have been out of the job market so long that you don't understand that 99% of employers are scum of the earth. An employees pay is based on market price like the fresh catch of the day. It's sad that employers pay the people that make them all of their monies.....CRAP.

The lies fall on the rideshare industry. The latest-greatest was the proposed insurance requirement. Rideshare "forgot" to mention that cab companies have a minimum insurance requirement, PLUS a rider of $3M per incident. Kinda makes that proposed $1.5M chump change. Also, Nevada cab companies are forbidden by law to BK themselves or shift monies from one company to another. Rideshare can.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actuzlly Cabbie you are more off than he is. You are using absolute loaded numbers. That is of course hopelessly wrong.

He is running an incremental business...not a free standing one. And he would pay most of his car cost and most of his insurance whether he drove or not. Taxes and Health care are the same. He may have some incremental costs but not the ones you listed. So I would guess his costs are 1/3 or so of your claim.
So please post the numbers.

Are you writing that self-employment taxes and employee taxes are the same? I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada