Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:38 AM

66 posts, read 417,759 times

Advertisements

Before I get universally branded as "The Guy Who Hates Life and Nevada in Particular", let me clear a few things up. As far as these types of listings go, my intent is to INFORM someone who may be interested in moving to or living in a place that I may have some knowledge about.

No secret death wish, no hidden, underlying ulterior motives. None of that. I just feel people would BENEFIT much more from getting the facts about a place, than from some sugar-coated "isn't my life grand" approach. I try and take in ALL the facts. If my own personal observations seem depressed and/or negative, it's probably because they back up or reinforce some FACT relating to a place. A reflection of my environment.

A critical analysis comes naturally for me, since I'm an artist. I'm an observer. I've trained myself to observe so as to make a better painting. Now as far as "good things about Nevada" goes....here's a few.

The air quality is amongst the best I've ever been around. At least in northern Nevada (Reno, Carson City). Spectacularly clear, windswept days, without a hint of pollution. Nice!! Some stunning scenery is to be found in northern Nevada, especially from Carson City down to Minden and Gardnerville. The mountains that cradle Lake Tahoe are a mere thirty minute drive from CC, where I live. Convenient, and a great getaway.

Lots of wildlife still to be found and experience in northern Nevada. I live in the so-called "nice" area of CC, with many restored Victorian homes, etc. The State Capital buildings and the Governor's mansion are all within a short walk. Grand, old trees grace most of this part of town. And many birds, from owls to red-winged hawks nest in the immediate area, and raise there young here.

My favorite, the white-tailed deer, who wander down from the Tahoe mountains to nibble on the tender, young shoots of various wild plants and bushes. Just amazing!! It's fairly common to encounter these animals around town here, especially in the early morning. Occaisionally, one sees herds of deer, sometimes ten or twelve at a time.

Othertimes, it's perhaps just a doe, taking her newborns for a "test run" in the environ's of small CC. Really feels special to see these native, wild creatures just wandering around, doing what they've done for millions of years! The young one's are especially cute to watch, as there watchful mothers herd them around.

Even bears wander into town, though I haven't personally seen one here in CC. They're on the local news fairly often. These are the things I like best about this area. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Do some research on this area, however, before moving here. My other postings, as well as other people's postings should give a good insight from those of us who've been here awhile.

As with most things...get the facts. Knowledge is the best teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
And you also have to realize that your facts may differ from other's facts.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
And that as an artist you see "facts" through different glasses.

Too bad...Nevada is a singularly beautiful place in many dimensions both physical and in its people...but you miss all that.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
mod cut: personal attacks/ theme is being carried over from another thread

Well let me chime in with Nature Guy here. I did a bit of traveling in luxury in our RV. I did quite a bit of traveling in Nevada. Strange as it may seem I never been to Reno or Lake Tahao but spent periods of time in a dumpy but charming Tonapah, Winniemucca/Battle Mountain, Wendover, Ely, And Beaty. We enjoyed all of our stays. Every one of them.

My most favorite place in all of Nevada is Virginia City. Virginia City is where the sitcom Bonanza was filmed back in the 70s. You want a real feel of the real deal the way it was in the Cowboy and Indian days? Virginia City is it.

I love wildlife too but unfortunatly the only wildlife in Vegas walks on 2 legs. After you get out of the big city life slows down.

Great Basin and Pyramid Lakes? Yea man. Just me.....in harmony with nature.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-08-2008 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: *argh* another reason why starting a new thread on the same theme isn't a good idea.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 PM

173 posts, read 979,658 times
I have never had a big issue with Nevada.... I've been here 20 yrs. Went to highschool in Elko, lived in Vegas for 9 years or so, moved back to Elko, spent a few years there, met my boyfriend, and now we are in Reno for the summer. There is so much here, if you have the ambition to look. I loved horseback riding up in the spring mtns. I lived in Pahrump, too, for awhile, working horses on a small horse ranch there. That was nice. Vegas I didn't like quite as much, folks just seemed grumpy there. And the heat could be a bit extreme, but a fine trade off for mild winters!

Around Elko, I did a lot of mtn biking and trail running. ENDLESS trails on acres upon acres upon acres of BLM land. I could be on my bike the entire day and never see a soul. I could take my road bike up Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mtns, or I could hike up to one of the lakes up there. Absolutely beautiful.

I did grow bored with Elko, I'd been there, done that, and we were ready to move on, so now we are in Reno. Yesterday we took the road bikes and rode from Truckee to Tahoe City, and aways around the lake. Today I did a road bike ride out towards mt rose highway, and this afternoon, we took the canoe out to Stampede Resevoir for the afternoon. Reno is situated in a fantastic spot.

I've never had a hard time getting a job. Neither has my boyfriend. We've played our cards well and come here with zero bills and no worry and so we are semi-retired at 34 and 40 yrs of age. We plan on hanging around here for awhile, and when it also dulls a bit, we'll move on to something new. We're thinking New Mexico.

For me, Nevada has been kind.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM

66 posts, read 417,759 times
Hello there! It's me, the guy with "one positive brain cell", or however you put it. Sorry you took some of my postings so personally. I'm really not the super-depressed oghre you make me out to be! Though my girlfriend often knocks me up side the head, and tells me to calm down. Ha!

Seriously though, I appreciate your more reasoned posting here to me! I'm actually delighted....yes delighted, that you enjoy life in Nevada. I'm not on some crazy mission to discourage people from the Nevada scene, believe it or not. I'm basically an opinionated artist, brought on by my own critical analysis of my own paintings. I have to be my own worst critic, which helps make for a "better" painting. At least that's how I see it. Sorry if it extends into other facets of life! I really don't have some personal vendetta against Nevada. The place just doesn't seem to "make it" for us, for a wide range of reasons. That doesn't make it a "bad" place.

We've just had so many "Twilight Zone" type encounters with Nevadans (transplanted Californians?) that we're put off by the place. We initially did see the area in a more open-minded way, but after seven years of this stuff....we're pretty sure this ain't the place for us. No biggee. Plenty more areas around we intend to explore. We DO, however, find our local Carson City wildlife to be a nice enhancement that takes the edge off things.

Great that you're such a bicyclist! Fun stuff! I usually prefer the hiking mode, where one can veer off the "beaten path" and REALLY explore the land. Just intoxicating! Haven't done much lately, however, which adds to my easily annoyed viewpoint at times. I've been concentrating on carving out my art career in the area (Lake Tahoe and/or Carson Valley area), having moved here with zero biz connections. Lots of hard work, minimal payback. Far more lucrative for established locals who've garnered a reputation for themselves.

Low and behold, I end up inventing a highly marketable item, whilst struggling with these paintings! Great news for me! Now the marketing plans are being sorted out for this. So I have probably the BEST news possible, with this new invention. Definetly takes the edge off any crap we've had to deal with around here.

We just deal with the place like anyone else here would, one day at a time. Some days suck big-time, some days are filled with laughs and high spirits! When the time's right, we'll pack it in and split for the next destination. But yeah, New Mexico has intrigued me, as well. One of the top three art markets in the entire U.S. there (Santa Fe). However, my serious allergy to pollen negates the "dream". I'll have to move further north on the continent, where pollen is less lethal for me. Like Idaho, perhaps. No set plans for anything, just yet.

Sure met some "interesting character's" on this site! Half of them, however, I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog.... much less take there "advice" on how to conduct myself in various situations. Geez! Excuse me for breathing, as my sister says.

Perhaps the best part of all this is, these folks will never have to worry about the likes of me settling anywhere in Nevada. Good news, right? Sure is for us! Honestly though, we have noticed a rather high percentage of postings relating to Nevada that are truly negative. Some are sad, many are insightful, but we like the many great "one liners" the more witty amongst us come up with!! Oy vey! Lots of these more balanced folks post and disappear, preferring to avoid confrontations. I've personally had emails from many here supporting my viewpoints, so I'm not alone in my views.

It's the vicious, self-absorbed types that take things too personally. I know the realtor segment is incensed by negative reviews....for obvious reasons. Tough luck! My business plans have changed with the economic conditions, so no one's exempt. We just deal with it, as need be.

Again, thanks so much for your posting! You guys sound like you're really making the best of Nevada's bounty. What do ya think of the Markleeville area? We've been scoping out that region for a year or so, and find it enchanting and appealing. Great stuff all around us, huh? Best wishes from me to you! (....and I forgive ya for tearing me a new....you know what). Ha!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
The number ONE best thing about Nevada.

It ain't California.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Also, don't forget the whole "no state income tax" thing.

Thank you, gaming industry.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Guy View Post
Hello there! It's me, the guy with "one positive brain cell", or however you put it. Sorry you took some of my postings so personally. I'm really not the super-depressed oghre you make me out to be! Though my girlfriend often knocks me up side the head, and tells me to calm down. Ha!

Seriously though, I appreciate your more reasoned posting here to me! I'm actually delighted....yes delighted, that you enjoy life in Nevada. I'm not on some crazy mission to discourage people from the Nevada scene, believe it or not. I'm basically an opinionated artist, brought on by my own critical analysis of my own paintings. I have to be my own worst critic, which helps make for a "better" painting. At least that's how I see it. Sorry if it extends into other facets of life! I really don't have some personal vendetta against Nevada. The place just doesn't seem to "make it" for us, for a wide range of reasons. That doesn't make it a "bad" place.

We've just had so many "Twilight Zone" type encounters with Nevadans (transplanted Californians?) that we're put off by the place. We initially did see the area in a more open-minded way, but after seven years of this stuff....we're pretty sure this ain't the place for us. No biggee. Plenty more areas around we intend to explore. We DO, however, find our local Carson City wildlife to be a nice enhancement that takes the edge off things.

Great that you're such a bicyclist! Fun stuff! I usually prefer the hiking mode, where one can veer off the "beaten path" and REALLY explore the land. Just intoxicating! Haven't done much lately, however, which adds to my easily annoyed viewpoint at times. I've been concentrating on carving out my art career in the area (Lake Tahoe and/or Carson Valley area), having moved here with zero biz connections. Lots of hard work, minimal payback. Far more lucrative for established locals who've garnered a reputation for themselves.

Low and behold, I end up inventing a highly marketable item, whilst struggling with these paintings! Great news for me! Now the marketing plans are being sorted out for this. So I have probably the BEST news possible, with this new invention. Definetly takes the edge off any crap we've had to deal with around here.

We just deal with the place like anyone else here would, one day at a time. Some days suck big-time, some days are filled with laughs and high spirits! When the time's right, we'll pack it in and split for the next destination. But yeah, New Mexico has intrigued me, as well. One of the top three art markets in the entire U.S. there (Santa Fe). However, my serious allergy to pollen negates the "dream". I'll have to move further north on the continent, where pollen is less lethal for me. Like Idaho, perhaps. No set plans for anything, just yet.

Sure met some "interesting character's" on this site! Half of them, however, I wouldn't trust them to walk my dog.... much less take there "advice" on how to conduct myself in various situations. Geez! Excuse me for breathing, as my sister says.

Perhaps the best part of all this is, these folks will never have to worry about the likes of me settling anywhere in Nevada. Good news, right? Sure is for us! Honestly though, we have noticed a rather high percentage of postings relating to Nevada that are truly negative. Some are sad, many are insightful, but we like the many great "one liners" the more witty amongst us come up with!! Oy vey! Lots of these more balanced folks post and disappear, preferring to avoid confrontations. I've personally had emails from many here supporting my viewpoints, so I'm not alone in my views.

It's the vicious, self-absorbed types that take things too personally. I know the realtor segment is incensed by negative reviews....for obvious reasons. Tough luck! My business plans have changed with the economic conditions, so no one's exempt. We just deal with it, as need be.

Again, thanks so much for your posting! You guys sound like you're really making the best of Nevada's bounty. What do ya think of the Markleeville area? We've been scoping out that region for a year or so, and find it enchanting and appealing. Great stuff all around us, huh? Best wishes from me to you! (....and I forgive ya for tearing me a new....you know what). Ha!
You still ain't got it straight. If I want to be a RE Agent I know how. But mostly I pass on that role. I have no particular reason to care for or against Reno or Northern Nevada or Nevada in general. I might strongly defend the west side of Las Vegas if I am wearing my business hat...but I doubt it. There is so little accurate fault finding with the west side of Las Vegas one seldom needs to defend it.

You jump right in and attack Reno in a way that indicates you know little about Reno. Hey be my guest...find fault all over the place with northern Nevada...won't hurt my failings. I think we should consider dividing it up between California, Idaho and Utah. But don't use silly nonsense.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 15,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
The number ONE best thing about Nevada.

It ain't California.
Hana Hou to that bud.... i was born in vegas. I moved when they started blowing up all the cool hotels I knew when I was a kid. Vegas is now a fun spot to visit. But I LOOOOVVVEEE Northern Nevada. I moved my kids away from Vegas to go to school at Galena High school rated the top in the Nation for the most teachers with PhDs.... I am temporarily in Kauai until my husband gets out of the Navy and we are headed back to Cowboy country yyyyeeeeeaahhha. The other guy NATURE GUY.... he sounds like a Marin County kind of guy... I personally hate pretentious competitive people always staring down the nose,,, i coul dnever live in Marin County. Way over priced, over crowded and stuffy. Besides isn't California 26 million dollars in debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada