Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM

207 posts, read 799,487 times

Advertisements

I am relocating and will be traveling on Route 40 for most of the trip. The logistics of transporting 5-Cats is a tedious one. Of course, renting an RV is easier, but carries a hefty rental and since I will not be immediately moving into a new home for about 2-weeks after arriving, it becomes very impractical.

Can anyone advise of specific lodging at chain motel/hotels on Route 40 and or techniques that would permit me to accommodate my cats. I know that Red Roof Inn's permit 1/per room. Eventhough this Motel usually holds the capacity to enter rooms from the parking lot and not have to pass by the front desk, how do I hide cats from housekeeping service? The safety and welfare of my cats is my priority.

Any suggestion to lodging possibilities with multiple pets would be appreciated.

Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Ship them...or sleep in the car with them.

You might get away with three...but five is past tough.

And it is getting hot so they cannot be left for more than a few minutes in a car.

You can try the stealth route. Check in after dark to motels with distant rooms. It may work but you may also end up on the road at midnight on rare occasion.

Shipping is practical if you have a reliable boarding place at either end. Just board them someplace with a non-stop or direct flight. Arrange with your vet to tranquilize them. We have successfully shipped cats back and forth across the country a half dozen times including one guy who did the trip back east and out west. No harm.

Again you have to stage it right. But much easier on you and the cats then trying to drive with 5 cross country. We did two from LA to Las Vegas and that is as much as we would ever want to manage.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,601 times
If you google "Pets Welcome Map" you can get a list of pet friendly hotels along your travel route.

Wow....5 cats.....are you renting or buying? My brother has 5 cats and you can tell as soon as you walk in the front door. If I was a landlord I would much prefer dogs over cats

We traveled across country with 2 dogs and had to stay a night or two at "no pets allowed" hotels. We snuck them in the back and put the "do not disturb" sign on the door. This keeps housekeeping out.

I would keep them in a pet caddie in the car so that you don't get distracted while driving. Make sure you don't leave them in the car alone...even with the windows cracked...way to hot!!!!

Good Luck...at least cats don't bark That almost got us busted a couple of times.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:05 PM

I will be buying. The key to keeping cats is to be meticulous about the litter boxes, their bedding and floors. For the most part, that is all it takes.

I do not want to put them in cargo. I have a hard enough time with the thought of putting them in a kennel, but I might have to do that at the end of the road trip for a very brief period.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfollower View Post
I will be buying. The key to keeping cats is to be meticulous about the litter boxes, their bedding and floors. For the most part, that is all it takes.

I do not want to put them in cargo. I have a hard enough time with the thought of putting them in a kennel, but I might have to do that at the end of the road trip for a very brief period.

Thanks for your input.
Well you do get to pick their poison. Five in a car for some days has very large risks as well. And you get to blame yourself if one escapes or goes south and has to be hospitalized in podunk wherever.

We researched it carefully many years ago and reached the conclusion that as long as it was a non-stop or at worst a direct flight the animal would take less trauma than a couple of days in a car. Cargo holds are conditioned to the same level as cabins.

The only risk to animals is on the ground. They get lost changing planes or left on a luggage cart or such. That is why you go non stop.

The only other thing you need is someone to dispatch or receive them.

I really think shipping this way is far less cruel than confining them to a car for some days. Don't confuse the fact that they are at more risk with the fact you feel more comfortable. You are still doing the wrong thing.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfollower View Post

Thanks for your input.
If you have to put them in a kennel for a brief time, try the Pet hotels at PetsMart or a place that deals in all cats, like the Vets in Henderson that i think is named "All cats." Or something like it.

Traveling with 5 cats can be done. As long as they are in their carriers. Stop at pet friendly motels along the way, or do what alot of others do: just sneak them in.
To hide the kitties from the housekeeping staff, get up before they start cleaing rooms, and get all the kitties back in the car and continue on your route.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
Are you thinking of the cat place at Sunset and Green Valley in the Trader Joe's/Big 5/Ace Hardware shopping center?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I don't know what shopping center the cat hospital is in, but it can be seen from the beltway/freeway while going through Henderson/GV. I just haven't been to your area in awhile, and the last time was at least a year ago.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
oh, then its not the place on Sunset since thats not near the freeway...

Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I have decided that I will rent an RV for the trip, which should be at least a comfortable environment for my cats and hopefully offer me some peace of mind as to their safety; and then when I arrive in Las Vegas I will look into the recommended pet kennels for as short a period as possible for the two older ones. Mamma and her two 1-year olds will stay with me since they will calmly stay together in the same carrier which makes it easier to maneuver their whereabouts, and then I will work around maid service.

Anyone have any names of CLEAN & SAFE chain motels in Vegas where you are able to enter rooms without going through a lobby?

I have been trying to move to Vegas for 2-years. Maybe this time it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: